• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Non resident CT permit if you don't have another permit?

I was looking to get one of the CT non-resident permits. I'm up in VT, but VT doesn't have any gun permits. Girlfriend's mom is down in CT, so I'm down there, and would like to be able to shoot at that range in Norwalk.

I called CT, and they said I had to have a permit somewhere to get a non-resident permit.

Do you guys have any ideas on how to do this? Should I just go to some other random state and get a permit? Any way to sorta push this through?

I assume that I DO need a permit if I wanted to drive to the range in CT and shoot. I have no interest in carrying or concealing (though the CT people imply that there's no difference in CT)

So, any thoughts? Not sure what's the best direction to take from here.

If you must have a permit then the easiest non-res one for you to get would probably be NH. Once you have that you could apply for the CT one.

Did you explain to CT folks that your state just doesn't issue permits? They may have a "plan B" for folks from VT, so it pays to ask.

Worst case, get a NH permit ($20) and use that as your basis for CT. Info in the NH laws forum should point you to what you need to go that route.

Wow, you guys are fast. Yeah, I found all the CT permit stuff. Looks like NH is the route. Reading through their non resident app: http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/documents/dssp260.pdf , I saw:

A non-resident pistol permit will not be issued unless you supply:
1) A copy (front & back) of your valid concealed carry permit issued by the state, county, or town in which you
reside, or a valid concealed permit issued by any other state.

and thought "damnit", but then I read on:

OR IF YOU ARE A VERMONT RESIDENT:
2) A letter from your local police department, verifying that the state you reside in does not require a license to carry
concealed, and that, to the best of the departments’ knowledge:
a) You have never been denied a license to carry,
b) You have never been convicted of a felony which has not been Annulled,
c) You are not a user of controlled drugs or narcotics without orders from a physician,
d) You have not been treated for mental illness, emotional problems, or confined to a mental health facility,
e) You have no domestic violence petitions that would prevent possession of weapons under federal statute,
and
f) In any court of a misdemeanor of domestic violence.​

It appears NH is aware of VT's laws, at least. I had heard that CT used to do that as well, but doesn't seem to anymore.

So I guess plan is to get the VT cops to say I'm a good person, get the permit in NH, then go through the CT non-resident permit. I assume non-residents have to do the gun safety thing still, right? Never took one before (unless Pistol Shooting Phys Ed at college counts. Actually, it might. Worth a phone call.)

Thanks for the help. Looks like it will take a little while, but workable. Once done, I shouldn't have to worry about it.

Looks like NH is the route.

Yeah, Ch. 529 Sec. 29-28(f) specifically spells out that you need a "permit or license to carry a pistol or revolver issued by the authority of another state or subdivision of the United States", and NH is your easiest way to get one.

I assume non-residents have to do the gun safety thing still, right? Never took one before (unless Pistol Shooting Phys Ed at college counts. Actually, it might. Worth a phone call.)

Yes, non-residents have to complete the safety course. I don't think your Phys Ed is going to cover it. The course needs to be approved by the Commissioner of Public Safety, and, in their words, "must consist of no less than the NRA's 'Basic Pistol Course'"

i am at work so i cannot call them but i sent an email to DPS asking them if you can do something similar to what New Hampshire does. I will post response when i get one..should be soon..

Get the NH permit. Then apply for your CT permit. If you want better coverage than that, get a Utah permit.

Get the forms, then get a letter from your County Sheriff (unless your town has a PD, then get a letter from the Chief). make sure that you give the Sheriff a copy of the letter requirements, so he gets them all done correctly.

Send it in, and 3-10 days later, your permit should be back. Mine took a week.

Probably the lady I talked to who said "you still need a permit". When I pressed her about it, saying that would be difficult, since I'm a VT resident, she said "lots of states do it. Try Florida, they give them out to lots of people."

Sounds like NH is the way to go. I just have to figure out which police people to talk to.

Thanks for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom