Non-Resident LTC

Why? I`m a Mass. resident with a LTC A and I have a non-resident license for NH and CT. Are you telling me there is no such thing in NY state?
Yes. NY doesn't have NR licenses. I looked into a couple of years back; wanted to be able to carry when I went visiting.

I didn't think that there was such a thing. Unless your name is Steven Tyler, of course.
I had a NY non-resident license from 1994 through 1999, issued to me as a resident of MA, with my MA address on the permit. Unfortunately, the Chataquaua county law department informed judge Willard Cass that he lacked the jurisdictional authority to run a mail order business sending NY pistol permits to residents of other states and Canada, eh. and they stopped processing non-resident applications and renewals. Yes, I know NY licenses in that part of the state never expire, but the judge had a 5 year expiration date typed on the non-resident licenses.

The application form even had a little box "check if Canadian resident".

Anyone know who I contact to get a non-resident NY LTC?
I own 60 acres with a camp in the Adirondacks, so I called the NY stat police (the division in charge of firearms licensing) because I wanted to carry (even if it was on my property only) while out there and they told me DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT. [crying]They said I'm not able to even store a handgun on my property (IIRC unlike a resident who doesn't need a permit for home) without violating the law. [angry] I know of one MA resident who claims to have a CCW permit for NY, but I've never seen it, so I don't know whether to believe him. [thinking] Most CCW licenses are issued by the county sheriff, so I suppose if you had an in you might have a chance. I contacted a NY pistol association a couple of years ago and was told that once in a while someone will try an introduce a bill to allow non-res CCW and it always gets flushed down the shitter, NY handgun laws SUCK. Please let me know if you find out anything different.[grin]
Gary

Most CCW licenses are issued by the county sheriff
Technically speaking, they are issued by a Judge (NYC and surrounding areas are an exception), however, the Sheriff or County Clerk handles processing of the paperwork and record checks for submission for judicial review and signature. The signature (or stamped signature) on the permit is that of the judge, not the sheriff. If you want to legally take a handgun in as a non-resident non-leo, the only exception is a NRA or IMHSA recognized match, and the details for doing so are in NY penal code 265.20(13b). The term used in NY is "Pistol Permit".

NY pistol permit

Unless you have a NYS drivers license AND you are regestered to vote in that county you are applying (OR HAVE TRUMP-LIKE $$$) There is no such thing, even if you are a part time resident property owner/ taxpayer. My brother used to live between NY and NH 50/50 and couldn't bring handguns into the state. Not a problem in his county now he lives there year-round. I like the lifetime permit.

I like the lifetime permit.
I agree.
The thing that sucks about a NY pistol permit is having to have your pistols listed on the permit. Definitely a PITA if you change ownership of carry weapons often.

I agree.
The thing that sucks about a NY pistol permit is having to have your pistols listed on the permit. Definitely a PITA if you change ownership of carry weapons often.

+1 My understanding is that it's not simply the type & caliber of gun that needs to be listed but the specific gun. I don't think they make licenses big enough to list all the specific guns I might want to carry (depending on weather, time of year, where I'm going, etc.) Of course, were our property is (Suffolk County), there's essentially no chance of getting a carry permit even if we were living there year round.

Ken

I don't think they make licenses big enough to list all the specific guns I might want to carry (depending on weather, time of year, where I'm going, etc.)
They just add more pages, however, I have heard some judges limit the # you can register. Also, counties vary on cross registration procedures (same gun on multiple permits - for example, if you have a heard attack you cannot give your wife your carry gun if she has a NY permit but the serial number of the specific gun is not listed on her permit as well).

I have those restrictions under the LEOSA and my NJ permit. I must qualify with each firearm carried although they aren't listed on the permit, the qualification form must be sent to the NJ State Police for filing. I also carry a copy of the latest qualification for each firearm. At a cost of $70.00 per qualification, I limit it to two which is all I need in any case.

I have those restrictions under the LEOSA and my NJ permit. I must qualify with each firearm carried although they aren't listed on the permit, the qualification form must be sent to the NJ State Police for filing. I also carry a copy of the latest qualification for each firearm. At a cost of $70.00 per qualification, I limit it to two which is all I need in any case.

NJ as in NEW JERSEY? They issue permits[thinking]

From my understanding the NY carry permit is also a FID and all handguns owned by you must be on it whether you intend to carry it or not

+1 My understanding is that it's not simply the type & caliber of gun that needs to be listed but the specific gun.
Correct, by serial number, IIRC.
They just add more pages, however, I have heard some judges limit the # you can register.
A friend of mine on the Island told me that he's reached the limit of guns he can register.
NJ as in NEW JERSEY? They issue permits
Yeah, if you're a cop. Or a security guard, in which case it's limited to when you're working.

+1 My understanding is that it's not simply the type & caliber of gun that needs to be listed but the specific gun. I don't think they make licenses big enough to list all the specific guns I might want to carry (depending on weather, time of year, where I'm going, etc.) Of course, were our property is (Suffolk County), there's essentially no chance of getting a carry permit even if we were living there year round.

Ken

When I had a Sullivan License (as it was then called), there were lines for up to five handguns. After that, you got a second license.

NJ as in NEW JERSEY? They issue permits

Under certain restrictions, Retired LE Officers can apply of a Retired Carry Permit. Retired retirement under time served or disability (with restrictions) and within a six month period of retirement or disability. Beyond that no applications are excepted.

A cost of $55.00 per year is required along with qualifications which equal the mandated NJ Firearm's Qualification Course. That means at least twice a year at our cost which for me is $70.00 per qual, plus ammo. (Unfortunately I can't qualify myself). Only Police Training Commission certified instructors are permitted to conduct these qualifications and only a small number have taken the time to get the needed documentation from the state. This also means a trip back to NJ twice a year which isn't that big of a hassle. There is also a maximum age restriction on the permits which I think might be 70 y/o.

Security guards do not get a NJ Carry Permit but carry under the company permit of the security firm that em ploy's them. As pointed out, it is highly restricted.

In reality, most of the retired LE never apply for of if they do, do not keep up the qualifications of the permit. Another weird quark is that even though the LEOSA has come out after this statute, the State of NJ still requires NJ retired officers to have the NJ permit to carry in the state. As an out of NJ state resident, I keep it current for the qualification documents even though I qualify in NH. Not that big of a deal as I'm shooting a few times a week anyway....

All of these permits limits me only to listed handguns which are listed on the qualification documents only. While there is no limit, only time and cost holds down the number of firearm's listed.

Ken

Exactly true. Each specific pistol has to be on there. I have a NYS pistol permit. Acquired when I was still a 'legal' resident (of St. Lawrence Co) I own land in NY (Ulster County) and still have a NYS drivers license. All this and I live in MA. I am certain I am breaking some law (nearly inevitable in this day and age) but if asked, those are the credentials I would produce when in NY.

I don't think they make licenses big enough to list all the specific guns I might want to carry (depending on weather, time of year, where I'm going, etc.) Of course, were our property is (Suffolk County), there's essentially no chance of getting a carry permit even if we were living there year round.
Ken - it's not just the guns you might want to carry - it's ALL handguns you wish to legally posess.

Ken - it's not just the guns you might want to carry - it's ALL handguns you wish to legally posess.

Aware, but there's a distinct difference between getting a license to possess the guns in your home and take them to the range versus a carry license. I think I might know enough people to manage the former, though I doubt anyone not riding around with hired bodyguards has enough juice for the later.

Ken

Aware, but there's a distinct difference between getting a license to possess the guns in your home and take them to the range versus a carry license. I think I might know enough people to manage the former, though I doubt anyone not riding around with hired bodyguards has enough juice for the later.

From what I understand, in New York State it is very dependent upon where you live. In some counties it is doable by mere mortals and in others it is not.

From what I understand, in New York State it is very dependent upon where you live. In some counties it is doable by mere mortals and in others it is not.

Where I live, (Mid-Hudson Valley) if you have a clean record and apply for a permit, you'll get it.

In NYC, there are three levels of permit: Premises, Target, and Carry.

Premises allows you to posses a handgun in your home or on your property. Period. You can't take it to the range to shoot nor legally transport it anywhere. (in theory, you can't even legally take it to a gunsmith to be fixed if it's broken. Yes, I know it's stupid.)

Target allows you to posses in your home, and also to transport, unloaded in a locked container, to and from a pistol range to shoot.

(Rumor has it that there is a pistol range in Manhattan - in a basement somewhere - that is open 24/365. Some people are said to carry an unloaded semi-auto and a loaded magazine in a locked briefcase, the combination lock of which has been partially preset so they only need to flick the last dial one digit to open it. If questioned, they were "on their way to the range".)

Carry is a full concealed carry.

Upstate, we never see target or premises permits, mostly just full carry

However, every county judge has discretion to pretty much do whatever he wants. For a brief period of time, we had one judge who was putting "Only while hunting or fishing" on all the licenses he signed. We dumped him, and his replacement went back to issuing unrestricted permits.

Some judges may choose to limit how many handguns you have or call you in to ask "why you need another one.", most don't seem to care how many you have.

Regards
John

Where I live, (Mid-Hudson Valley) if you have a clean record and apply for a permit, you'll get it.

Premises allows you to posses a handgun in your home or on your property. Period. You can't take it to the range to shoot nor legally transport it anywhere. (in theory, you can't even legally take it to a gunsmith to be fixed if it's broken. Yes, I know it's stupid.)

Target allows you to posses in your home, and also to transport, unloaded in a locked container, to and from a pistol range to shoot.

(Rumor has it that there is a pistol range in Manhattan - in a basement somewhere - that is open 24/365. Some people are said to carry an unloaded semi-auto and a loaded magazine in a locked briefcase, the combination lock of which has been partially preset so they only need to flick the last dial one digit to open it. If questioned, they were "on their way to the range".)

Upstate, we never see target or premises permits, mostly just full carry

However, every county judge has discretion to pretty much do whatever he wants. For a brief period of time, we had one judge who was putting "Only while hunting or fishing" on all the licenses he signed. We dumped him, and his replacement went back to issuing unrestricted permits.

Some judges may choose to limit how many handguns you have or call you in to ask "why you need another one.", most don't seem to care how many you have.

Regards
John

I am moving to NYS in July - how do I go about getting a handgun permit for target shooting?

It depends on where you're moving to. In most counties you go to the county clerk or Sherrif's office and get the application. When you appy for your license use the phrase "for all lawful purposes" as yuor reason. If you ask for a 'target' license, that's just what you might get.

I am moving to NYS in July - how do I go about getting a handgun permit for target shooting?

True, but licenses issued outside NYC are specifically invalid in that city.

After I got out of the Army in 1990 I returned to my hometown in upstate NY. My friends were starting to hunt deer with handguns so I too got my permit. The local sherriff's office issued for "Hunting & Target" and my 1st handgun was listed on the back of the permit.

In 1991 I moved to MA. I still have the permit with my parents address on it. I've been told by a hunting pal that I was suppossed to turn it in when I moved out of state. I have been back to deer hunt and I have taken handguns with me along with my NYS carry permit, MA LTC and I do not have a NYS driver's lic.

With age comes wisdom (?) and I now realize the risks involved in my past acts. I am thinking of buying some hunting land and have been looking at NYS. Not being able to have handguns in NY will be a deal breaker on a land buy in that state.

Any insight other than me being SOL? [thinking]

Unless you have a NYS drivers license AND you are regestered to vote in that county you are applying (OR HAVE TRUMP-LIKE $$$) There is no such thing, even if you are a part time resident property owner/ taxpayer. My brother used to live between NY and NH 50/50 and couldn't bring handguns into the state. Not a problem in his county now he lives there year-round. I like the lifetime permit.

The easy, though not cheap, fix in this case would have been to get the NY drivers license (and more importantly, pay NY income tax), then get the easy and inexpensive NH license.

Ken

NYC handgun licenses

A few minor corrections, if I might. There is no longer a "Target" license in NYC (I'm not sure if there even is one in NYS any more). IIRC, NYC got rid of it after losing a criminal case where they tried to go after a Target licensee who was caught CCW'ing and [successfully] argued that he was going to or coming from the range.

The premises licenses do allow the licensee to take the pistol to and from "an authorized range or shooting club", so long as it is transported unloaded in a locked container directly between the premises and the range or club (in each direction). In addition, NYPD will issue a "hunting endorsement card" that will allow the licensee to transport the pistol within NYS for hunting. Finally, FOPA (18 U.S.C. § 926) was successfully used by a premises - residence licensee to have his license reinstated after it was initially revoked, in part, as a result of NYPD objecting to his otherwise lawful trip to another state with his pistol in reliance on FOPA http://www.nysrpa.org/files/beach_v_kelly.pdf). ON EDIT: This decision was overturned in June 2008...see my post here: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=788308&postcount=17

The pistol range you speak of does exist - it's called the West Side Rifle & Pistol Range (http://www.westsidepistolrange.com/), and its run by a great bunch of people. I've been shooting there since the early 1990's. It is indeed located in a basement on West 20th Street in Manhattan, underneath a "gentlemen's club", but it is definitely NOT open 24/7/365. On the trivia front, it has featured in at least one or two episodes of the TV show Law and Order, and they were closed for some kind of filming there just this past Thursday.

There are several flavors of carry license - Carry Business, Limited Carry Business, Carry Guard/Security, and the "Special" licenses, which validate NY carry licenses from other counties for carry in the 5 boros (and are made of unobtanium, apparently). Each have their own restrictions, but the Carry Business is the only truly unrestricted CCW license.

Finally, on the subject of the "locked briefcase CCW" engaged in by "some people", the law and/or the administrative regs require ammunition to be carried separately from the locked case containing the firearm, unless the carrier possesses a valid Carry license.

Last edited:
Finally, FOPA (18 U.S.C. § 926) was successfully used by a premises - residence licensee to have his license reinstated after it was initially revoked, in part, as a result of NYPD objecting to his otherwise lawful trip to another state with his pistol in reliance on FOPA http://www.nysrpa.org/files/beach_v_kelly.pdf).

RKBA: Thank you so much for posting this![grin] I am a NYC resident and have held a Premises Resident License since 1972. I also hold a Florida Non-Resident CWP and a New Hampshire Non-Resident Handgun License. I am now retired and enjoy traveling to both Pennsylvania and New England. I have wanted to bring along a handgun for protection, but feared being in violation of NYC's rules by doing so. The case law you cited by the hot link clearly removes that fear. I can't thank you enough and will be bringing some protection on my next PA vacation[wink]

Back
Top Bottom