• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

North shore- are there any temporary storage facilities?

Does such a place even exist where I could store my ammo/firearms for a month? I have no friends in region with ltc.

Might be selling my home- Between showings and moving etc could be easier for me to store them for a couple weeks and scoop them up when I get the keys to the new place.

If not, I’ll figure something out. I have an SUV so trunk not really an option- however I do have a lockable roof box…

Last edited:
How about a heated storage place that have popped up on every street?
They don't want things like gas cans and the like but I don't consider ammo "explosives" until you shoot them as they are very nicely contained.

Does such a place even exist where I could store my ammo/firearms for a month? I have no friends in region with ltc.

Might be selling my home- Between showings and moving etc could be easier for me to store them for a couple weeks and scoop them up when I get the keys to the new place.

If not, I’ll figure something out. I have an SUV so trunk not really an option- however I do have a lockable roof box…
Id feel better with my guns inside a safe in a storage unit than in the back of a car for a month, 100%

north shore is not far from NH. you say no friends with ltc in area, but is your mind stopping at the border? anyone just north who could help? even if not a gun person they don't need a license to store them up there. just thinking out (loud) keyboard

Suv, lockable container, blanket, done.

Storage unit, safe, blanket, done.

And, there are people on here that can help out.

Rent a climate controlled self-storage place, put your gun safe in it, put guns and ammo in it.

I've done it twice. Once was short term, friend of mine needed a place to live for a couple of months after he got out of jail, and his parole officer wasn't satisfied with my safe in my locked workshop - so I stored them in discreet boxes in a self-storage unit.

Second was much more long term. From 2016 to 2023 I stored guns and ammo in CT so that I could shoot when I was summering there. I was just discreet about moving them in and out of the unit; never had a problem.

I've seen where they do first month free with no contract so you can bail after the month is up. Call around...

What are you worried about selling the house?

I thought about this one time during showings

Then i looked at the ammo cans stickers. Mags...etc etd

I'm like yeah that's way too much effort to move if they know they know.

Temporarily storing guns legally is tougher than you think. Most storage unit places have a no firearms/ammo policy. It's not that they're anti-gun necessarily, but they can't get insurance if they allow storing guns and ammo. I'm not sure of the ramifications, but if you decide to go this route, read the contract carefully.

Rent a climate controlled self-storage place, put your gun safe in it, put guns and ammo in it.

I've done it twice. Once was short term, friend of mine needed a place to live for a couple of months after he got out of jail, and his parole officer wasn't satisfied with my safe in my locked workshop - so I stored them in discreet boxes in a self-storage unit.

Second was much more long term. From 2016 to 2023 I stored guns and ammo in CT so that I could shoot when I was summering there. I was just discreet about moving them in and out of the unit; never had a problem.
You think I can get away with it not being climate controlled if only for a month?

What are you worried about selling the house?

I thought about this one time during showings

Then i looked at the ammo cans stickers. Mags...etc etd

I'm like yeah that's way too much effort to move if they know they know.
Part of it yes- don’t want to scare some healey supporter from puting an offer in- and also because we’re hiring professional movers so the entire process seems like a headache to monitor all my “gear”.

Public Storage requires YOU to have insurance on your space. Its household items. I mean your not lying I think everyone one on here has these items in there house hold no?
Get a small climate controlled unit. Bring your safe in after hrs on a two wheeler with a moving bracket over it. None of there business what's under the tarp.
DON'T do automatic payments. When you go to move out they will try hitting you for a months rent.
If you did auto pay good luck getting it back.

Just start doing and stop asking for permission.

Part of it yes- don’t want to scare some healey supporter from puting an offer in- and also because we’re hiring professional movers so the entire process seems like a headache to monitor all my “gear”.
Nah they are great dont worry about that.

I moved all my guns and ammo...which sucks balls moving your ammo but the rest they are great dont sweat it

Had 2 dif movers do it twice

What pissed me off was my tools

I got drunk one night an organized my tool box meticulously

For which they took out every drawer and dumped all my tools out in a giant pile

Temporarily storing guns legally is tougher than you think. Most storage unit places have a no firearms/ammo policy. It's not that they're anti-gun necessarily, but they can't get insurance if they allow storing guns and ammo. I'm not sure of the ramifications, but if you decide to go this route, read the contract carefully.
But the question is ... is it ILLEGAL?

Whether the storage unit cares or doesn't care is not the concern. It is a lot like CCW at work. Most companies have a "no guns" policy, that doesn't make it illegal.

If movers are a concern ... pick one room in the house, move all the furniture out of that room and lock it. Done, the movers don't go in there.

As far as showing... I don't know how much you have, but you could empty a closet (move that stuff to storage), put all your gun stuff in that closet and cover them with a blanket. Done. Put a strap around the blanket so people can't lift it.

You think I can get away with it not being climate controlled if only for a month?

No.

EDITED because I'm awake now, had my coffee -

You could probably get away with storing a couple firearms in a non-climate-controlled space if you thoroughly oiled/greased all the metal parts and stored them in a sealed container with dessicant. But it's chancy. The problem is that as temperature changes from cold to warm, you get condensation - and condensation is bad, it brings on rust. Rust brings on pitting.

When I stored Steve's guns, the unit was heavy screening; you could see into each unit. I loaded the firearms into non-descript boxes and stacked them, then tossed some crap on top of them so that they didn't look valuable.

The unit that I used while I was summering in CT was carefully chosen. It had no external access, you had to go inside a building to get to the door. The door was a rollup garage type, nothing to be seen from outside of it. Their internal cameras could see the hallway, but not inside my unit. I was extremely discreet bringing in the safe, (we wrapped it in moving blankets, so that it just looked like a big box). I never opened the unit with anyone else in the hallway, so nobody saw the gunsafe, the shelves of ammo or anything else in the unit.

That was a 10x20, climate controlled, restricted access. Nothing extraordinary, you ought to be able to find one similar in or near your town. That one cost me about 325 per month. I just looked at that cost as part of the cost of maintaining a camper in CT while living in GA.

Last edited:
I got drunk one night an organized my tool box meticulously

For which they took out every drawer and dumped all my tools out in a giant pile
That’s brutal- I JUST got my tools organized a couple weeks ago- and here we are.

OP must have thought for sure he will get dragged for this one.

From anything I have ever seen or heard you basically would need to store your firearms with a FFL with bonded insured storage.
I think it could be a decent business venture for the future, as we can see the trends of post's on nes. I can only imagine the numbers that would be needed to make it worth doing

Back
Top Bottom