[Not resolved] Springfield scout m1a - stripper clip guide hard as a rock

Having a problem with an m1a i bought recently. Trying to put a scope mount on it but I can't get the stripper clip guide out. The pin is missing, I can shine a light straight through the hole on top and can look through to confirm nothing in there. Easy, except the clip guide is on there like a ROCK. I've given it some pretty hard whacks with a mallet and even a hammer and it won't give an inch. What confounds me is that the gun came that way, bought brand new (so I think, from collectibles in NH).

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
So I got a better light to look at what I'm dealing with, I can confirm FOR SURE now that there is no pin in there. There's the tiniest crack between where the dovetail on the stripper clip guide and the receiver joim, and I can see straight through from left to right, if there's a pin in there, there should be an object intersecting the crack. No pin. Any ideas?
crapdiagram.jpg

So I got a better light to look at what I'm dealing with, I can confirm FOR SURE now that there is no pin in there. There's the tiniest crack between where the dovetail on the stripper clip guide and the receiver joim, and I can see straight through from left to right, if there's a pin in there, there should be an object intersecting the crack. No pin. Any ideas?
View attachment 176398

clip guide slides out to the left....its possible you made a "burr" with the punch....
so as positioned in the shooting position you want to tap the guide from the right driving it out to the left....could also be some sort of Loctite under there also

I've been tapping from right to left. Loctite on there would ruin my day.
secure rifle as best as possible and give it a solid whack?
if you do indeed have the pin removed it should come out with out much effort. Also possible the anti corrosive film manufactures use on metal parts may have gummed up pretty hard...

I would secure it in a padded vise and use a short brass punch and give it a solid whack

First, do you have a punch that will just fit into the hole. Try to see if you can get a punch to go all the way thru. if it doesnt, my guess is there is a pin thats sitting way below flush. If the punch stops, then try to bang out the pin with the punch. If you are absolutley sure there is no pin, I'd call Springfield Inc. as the have treated me well in regards to customer service....

Any chance of getting pics from different angles(cell phone macro mode)? We may be able to help out better if we can see the problem you're having.

The guide shouldn't be stuck if there isn't a roll pin holding it in so the only other thing I can think of is someone either had or tried to mount a scope on it but ran into issues and replaced the original with another and didn't fit it properly, instead they just drove one in with a mallet/hammer. Given that possibility I'd contact Springfield and find out it's history just to be sure.

Here is what I did.
1. Drive the pin out so it comes out through the guide. Punch goes into hole on receiver.
2. I rested the receiver on the corner of my work bench on the largest flat area just forward of the sights.
3. I used a hard plastic mallet...2lbs maybe? And just gave it a solid square wack.... of the 4 I have removed 2 where very tight to get moving.
One of them had rust built up under it. The other appeared to be machined a smidge tight. As it took a good smack to align the pin hole when my friend decided to ditch the cheap mount he bought.
Think battle rifle , marines and handle it accordingly

Thanks for the replies. To confirm, I have been trying to drive the guide from right to left, no go (after wd40 soak and slight heating with a hairdryer). There is no pin in there for sure. There's a big enough crack between the dove tail and slot to see all the way through (right to left, horizontally) and visually confirm there is no pin. Before this I stuck a 3/32 punch into the pin hole which stopped half way. After I whacked the guide a bit (it moved probably 1mm after all that work) and lined up the two holes, the punch goes straight through except for some resistance from the opening inside the receiver, near the end of the hole.

Took the advice the advice to email springfield as I have heard they are great to work with. I'd prefer not to mail it back (itching to get back to the range!) so I'll post pics up when I can later today.

Last edited:
Use a big brass punch. Hit it with a big metal hammer, not a mallet.
Hit it. Not love taps. You won't hurt it.

If hitting it harder concerns you then slip a bit of shim stock under the guide to protect the receiver then halve the guide parallel to the dovetail with an abrasive wheel. A new stripper clip guide is inexpensive.

The rail on the top of the barrel is located where it is to accommodate a long eye relief scope and keep the action clear.

scratch_one-s_head.gif

Back
Top Bottom