Now I know why Marlin doesn't make the model 60 anymore

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Geez, I bought an old Marlin 60 , and wanted to lighten the trigger. I got a spring kit, and then tried to take the action apart. Compared with the Ruger trigger
action, it is really a kludge. There are springs you have to bend 'just so', including the ejector spring, to get it to work, much less lighten the trigger pull. I'm
not surprised there's no aftermarket triggers for this thing.

Plus getting the recoil spring in, you're guaranteed to kink it.

Ugh. I like the rifle, I just don't ever want to open up the action again.

It's definitely not just with Marlin. I bought a CD some years ago on how to do a trigger job and smooth out the action with a Rossi 92 lever. I really hated lever guns after I was done. Granted the action was much better, but not sure it was worth the hassle of trying to get the damn thing back together after I was done.

Quite generally, the semi-auto and lever-action 22s on the market nowadays seem excessively cost reduced. There are still high-quality 22 bolt-action rifles made if you want one (I do, and have some), but the lever and semi-auto 22s being made and marketed today are not designed to be of similar quality to center-fire counterparts. The Browning BL-22 is the only exception that comes to mind.

I have a Browning SA-22, I got it used, and its trigger is superb, just about 3lbs and completely smooth. Whatever Browning designed there, it's really good, and I'm not going to mess with it!

The BL-22, on the other hand , had a very stiff trigger I remember. I had one and sold it because I just couldn't live with that trigger pull, and couldn't find someone to
lighten it.

I have a Browning SA-22, I got it used, and its trigger is superb, just about 3lbs and completely smooth. Whatever Browning designed there, it's really good, and I'm not going to mess with it!

The BL-22, on the other hand , had a very stiff trigger I remember. I had one and sold it because I just couldn't live with that trigger pull, and couldn't find someone to
lighten it.
I forgot the SA-22 was still in production, or I would have mentioned it as another exception.

Back
Top Bottom