Now I know why they call it a squirrel HUNT!!!!

J

JellyFish

I went down to the state park in Foxboro today. I walked around out there for a couple of hours.

I saw a snake, a bunch of birds, a chipmunk or two but not one squirrel! I looked for trees with acorns and what not but still...no squirrels. Hmmm...

I chatted with one of the guys down there on my way out and he said he didn't see many either. So odd. A forest full of trees and acorns, etc. but not hardly any squirrels.

Weird.

I may try Wrentham State Park soon as it's nearby. I don't know if it's any bettter (probably not) but that's the only place in the immediate vicinity I can think of to go.

Incidentally, I played peekaboo with a chimpmunk. I saw him peeping out of his den so I crept closer to him then made a noise with my boot and he hauled ass back inside. Then I waited a minute or two later, out he came and we repeated that a couple of times. [rofl]

BTW, if anybody knows of a good squirrel hunt place down around the foxboro area or thereabouts let me know. Got to be some of the little buggers somewhere.

You'll notice that there's a lot more squirrel road kill this time of year. They're the ones that played and didn't store enough food for the winter. They're committing suicide so they don't suffer by starving through the long cold winter.

Hunting tips:

Wanna see deer?-Drive Route 2 the night before Deer season starts. There is a petting zoo out by the Mohawk trail.

Wanna see pheasant?-Hunt deer.

Wanna see turkey?-Hunt rabbit.

Wanna see squirrels?-Hunt pheasant.

Wanna see bear?-Clarke's Trading post.

This is how it usually works out for me!

Seriously though, I encounter most squirrels during the pheasant season. Just make sure your pheasant loads are good for squirrels.

I hope some of these guys come to me! I'll help them! [smile]

You'll notice that there's a lot more squirrel road kill this time of year. They're the ones that played and didn't store enough food for the winter. They're committing suicide so they don't suffer by starving through the long cold winter.

Ha ha! Probably very true! [laugh]

Hunting tips:

Wanna see deer?-Drive Route 2 the night before Deer season starts. There is a petting zoo out by the Mohawk trail.

Wanna see pheasant?-Hunt deer.

Wanna see turkey?-Hunt rabbit.

Wanna see squirrels?-Hunt pheasant.

Wanna see bear?-Clarke's Trading post.

This is how it usually works out for me!

Seriously though, I encounter most squirrels during the pheasant season. Just make sure your pheasant loads are good for squirrels.

My backyard used to be loaded with them. I have oak trees and two bird feeders. There used to be 4-5 squirrels stuffing themselves all the time. The past 3-4 months I rarely see any out there and if I see one, I've seen a lot!

I wonder if they are on the coyote's menu? We do have a significant coyote population in town.

I bet the damn coyotes in the state park have been eating them! Bastards!

Maybe I should hunt the coyote instead. I got no idea how to find them though.

Wait till they're in season, stake out a spot where you've spotted them, go back and bait em' with rotten chicken parts and wait.[wink]

Coyotes, I get them right down into my backyard once we get a good amount of snow. Get to see their eyes right in the tree line. Ilive in the sticks though.[wink]

Hmmm...I like the idea of that. Sitting on my ass and letting THEM come to me! Unless it brings other hunters... [wink]

Think about how you see them when you're not hunting them. You always see them (or hear them sounding like a herd of rhinos in the leaves) when you're deer hunting, so mimic what you do when deer hunting.
I think a lot of people don't hunt them "seriously" as they are "just squirrels". I for one only hunt them as an excuse to get out in the woods scouting for deer sign, and don't see anything. If I sit still long enough, I'll see them all over, like when on stand for deer.

Back
Top Bottom