• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bow hunter wants to hunt my property... What do I need to know from a legal standpoint?

Like anything in Massachusetts it's difficult finding clear rules with regards to bow hunting.... One of the things I don't want is to invite 'the man' onto my property or any hassle with my neighbors appreciate any help you can give

The setback rules for firearm hunting also apply to bow hunting. So 150’ from road and 500’ from an occupied dwelling unless you have permission from the owner. That’s hard to achieve unless you or all your neighbors have large properties.

Realize, however, that a deer wounded by either a shotgun or bow can run some distance after being hit and the site of a deer running away with an arrow stuck in it may trigger the Karens.

I believe that legal liability is primarily on the hunter not the property owner, but it has been a long time since I took the hunter safety course. So take that advice with a boulder of salt.

Like anything in Massachusetts it's difficult finding clear rules with regards to bow hunting.... One of the things I don't want is to invite 'the man' onto my property or any hassle with my neighbors appreciate any help you can give
Mass has law that protects land owners from law suit with respect to granting access for hunters. That means a hunter on your land cannot sue you if he trips and falls.....etc.

As far ad "the man" on your property I'm not sure what you really mean.....are you worried the epos will be on your property? If that's what you mean they don't all of a sudden start goose stepping thru your woods because you have a hubter permission. 😂

As far as your neighbors that's between you and them but as a hunter......I'd love to have you give the guy access to hunt.....and tell your neighbors to go f*** themselves if they have a problem with it.

The setback rules for firearm hunting also apply to bow hunting. So 150’ from road and 500’ from an occupied dwelling unless you have permission from the owner. That’s hard to achieve unless you or all your neighbors have large properties.

Realize, however, that a deer wounded by either a shotgun or bow can run some distance after being hit and the site of a deer running away with an arrow stuck in it may trigger the Karens.

I believe that legal liability is primarily on the hunter not the property owner, but it has been a long time since I took the hunter safety course. So take that advice with a boulder of salt.
Who has the rub it be well away from the 150 foot from the road rules as far as occupied to dwelling the neighbor to my left who I have notified doesn't have a problem with him hunting on my property, but stated, "I don't want him hunt hunting on my property" which I understand, but legally he'll be less than 500 feet from my neighbors dwelling. The neighbor to my left is very pro two not so much on hunting so if the deer is shot and he takes off in that direction, it could cause problems. The neighbor to my right is definitely a Karen in the definitely be trouble if the deer ended up collapsing on their property.

And this was the bow hunter, who lives a couple streets over seems like a nice guy, but he got shot a big buck with his bow and I know this can happen, but I'm understanding they could be some friction involved and as far as the man I've had enough of the man in my town...lol

Knowing the hunting laws is up to the hunter. When i saw the thread title i thought you were worried about covering your ass. I know some who have been on 'a list' that the state gives to property owners who call concerning nuisance deer.

With the list is a waiver for the owner and hunter to sign with regards to general 'CYA' liability. This must be by mutual agreement and no fees can be exchanged. That would be a contract.

What if the hunter falls from his stand, if the hunter's arrow escapes the property line, hits the house, shoots a dog -jk. I haven't seen one in a long time but will see if I can track one down for future reference.

Good luck. Matt

AND:

Sample:
1702733004998.png

"Legally he'll be less than 500 feet from my neighbors dwelling".... Hence he would be illegally hunting, N'est Pas?

Bowhunting is a very safe activity. Especially when it is conducted from a treestand.
  • Discharge of any firearm or release of any arrow upon or across any state or hard-surfaced highway, or within 150 feet of any such highway.
  • Possession of a loaded firearm, discharge of a firearm, or hunting on the land of another within 500 feet of any dwelling or building in use, unless permitted by the owner or occupant. See page 21 for additional gun laws.
The rest of the prohibitions are here:
Hunting prohibitions

The problem comes if he shoots a deer and it runs onto the neighbors property who do not want to allow hunting. If they refuse to allow him to retrieve the deer he cannot enter the property to retrieve the deer because that would be trespassing and hunting without permission. In that case he would have to call the environmental police and hope that they'll assist him in retrieving the deer since they can legally enter the property to retrieve the animal or he could be stuck in a wanton waste situation. Very real possibly of more of "the man" gettinng involved in your life. Of course it also depends on how big your property is and where he'll be hunting and how skilled he is with a bow.

The problem comes if he shoots a deer and it runs onto the neighbors property who do not want to allow hunting. If they refuse to allow him to retrieve the deer he cannot enter the property to retrieve the deer because that would be trespassing and hunting without permission. In that case he would have to call the environmental police and hope that they'll assist him in retrieving the deer since they can legally enter the property to retrieve the animal or he could be stuck in a wanton waste situation. Very real possibly of more of "the man" gettinng involved in your life. Of course it also depends on how big your property is and where he'll be hunting and how skilled he is with a bow.
^^^ He gut shot a big buck by "mistake", and recovered the carcass 2 1/2 weeks later, should he have taken the shot, probably not. My property sort of pie shaped with the narrowest part near the area where he wants to hunt and the neighbors house. I was not sure until this morning what the distance to dwelling was for bowhunters, now I know it's 500 feet, so it doesn't meet the legal criteria. And I do not want to invite the man, in my life specially, in this town, and I don't wanna traumatize my good neighbors. So the answer is no. [thinking]

Bowhunting is a very safe activity. Especially when it is conducted from a treestand.
  • Discharge of any firearm or release of any arrow upon or across any state or hard-surfaced highway, or within 150 feet of any such highway.
  • Possession of a loaded firearm, discharge of a firearm, or hunting on the land of another within 500 feet of any dwelling or building in use, unless permitted by the owner or occupant. See page 21 for additional gun laws.
The rest of the prohibitions are here:
Hunting prohibitions
My good day Neighbor is definitely not giving him his permission to hunt on their property or chase wounded deer.

Who has the rub it be well away from the 150 foot from the road rules as far as occupied to dwelling the neighbor to my left who I have notified doesn't have a problem with him hunting on my property, but stated, "I don't want him hunt hunting on my property" which I understand, but legally he'll be less than 500 feet from my neighbors dwelling. The neighbor to my left is very pro two not so much on hunting so if the deer is shot and he takes off in that direction, it could cause problems. The neighbor to my right is definitely a Karen in the definitely be trouble if the deer ended up collapsing on their property.
If the hunter is legal were they harvest and the game crosses to posted property it is legal to recover.
The proper thing is to notify the owner first and if they have an issue contact fish and game as they will inform the owner that they have to allow reasonable access for recovery.

If your local greenie is good they will make it very clear to the homeowners that allowing reasonable recovery is in their own best interests.

^^^ He gut shot a big buck by "mistake", and recovered the carcass 2 1/2 weeks later, should he have taken the shot, probably not. My property sort of pie shaped with the narrowest part near the area where he wants to hunt and the neighbors house. I was not sure until this morning what the distance to dwelling was for bowhunters, now I know it's 500 feet, so it doesn't meet the legal criteria. And I do not want to invite the man, in my life specially, in this town, and I don't wanna traumatize my good neighbors. So the answer is no. [thinking]
That's your call and probably the right one.

Until the hunter calls the boys in green and they knock on the door.......the epos will make sure they provide access to recover the deer.
Yeah, I understand they can make them do it but if I was supposed personally, I'd be a bit upset and I definitely know that they would be so I'm not going there no matter what

Until the hunter calls the boys in green and they knock on the door.......the epos will make sure they provide access to recover the deer.

For sure, but I guarantee that they will check his licenses and setbacks before they do anything else.

Plus, as @Rat187 said, it will surely piss off the neighbor.

Yeah, IIRC you can bow hunt during all deer hunting seasons. The bow-only season is before shotgun season.
True, but just for clarification they would still have to purchase a "Primitive Firearms Stamp" to bowhunt during the primitive firearms season.

Yeah, I understand they can make them do it but if I was supposed personally, I'd be a bit upset and I definitely know that they would be so I'm not going there no matter what
So....you'd be upset if someone shot a deer on your neighbors property, it wandered over and died, and they asked you to retrieve it?

Can I ask why?

I've urban hunted CT for 20 years and killed over 100 deer there......in most cases when I had to knock on the door for a retrieve it was OK. As most people in town were for the deer program because Lyme, car accidents and shrub damage. Many times....the answer was, why aren't you hunting here? And I picked up more properties that way.

So I had zero fear of knocking on someones door to retrieve. And in later years, after hunting there a while, I gave zero fxcks if they wouldn't want me to get it.....killing a deer down there was not hard, I would just go kill another one if some douche wouldn't let me get it was my attitude. Which pretty much never happened.......

The few occasions when I ran into someone that was less than pleased, the last thing I said is.....well, I tried respectfully by asking you. I can call the game warden over here to get it, and you will have to let him in as required by law to do that, but I don't have time for that shit. Enjoy the rotting carcass on your lawn.

They would then tell me to go get it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom