NRA loses senator, who says gun group acting like ‘hysterical teenaged girl’

blindndead

NES Member
Monday, March 26, 2007, 09:14 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The National Rifle Association has apparently lost state Sen. John Douglas (R-Social Circle) in its effort to drum up support for S.B. 43, the bill to permit employees to keep guns in cars parked on corporate parking lots.

Over the weekend, the NRA sent out a crush of e-mails to members, accusing many big corporations — United Parcel Service, Wal-Mart and AFLAC among them — of curtailing Second Amendment rights.

Douglas is important as a bellwether. He’s one of the most conservative Republicans in the Senate, and usually supports NRA-backed legislation. Check out this bottom-to-top exchange of e-mails between the senator and a voter in south Georgia, distributed today by the Georgia Chamber of Commerce.

In the finale, Douglas accuses the NRA of “acting like a hysterical teenaged girl.” We’ve removed the e-mail and street address of the voter.

Here ‘tis:

Sent: Sat 3/24/2007 11:28 PM

To: Keith L.

Subject: RE: SB 43

While you are contacting others, contact the NRA and tell them their bullying, threatening tactics are backfiring. I have for the past two years earned an A+ and A rating from them and supported their efforts all the way. They are accusing every major company in Georgia of being anti gun, sending out their alerts every few hours naming more companies as anti gun and acting like a hysterical teenaged girl.

They are falling on their swords over this bill and so am I. There is no way I would vote yes with the way they are conducting themselves.

I am sorry we have come to this point and I look forward to supporting logical, rational gun legislation in the future, but not SB 43. I appreciate your efforts, but the NRA is making their supporters look foolish on this one.

By the way, Sen Tommie Williams is your Senator. He is an excellent, articulate spokesman for southeast Georgia. Feel free to call on him at [email protected]

John Douglas
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/sh...007/03/26/nra_loses_senator_who_says_gun.html

Back
Top Bottom