NRA Mid & Long Range F- Class shooting Karma

Hi all,
Im still here I will try for May14
getting the ammo to gether Im ordering the 6.5 and reloadding some 308 My job has scheduling issues but I will do my best

If you can't make it on the 14th, we can probably work out something. Worst case scenario you can just show up on June 11th. As long as you have some kind of zero, we should be able to get on paper in just a few shots.

B

Ok so I'm looking at the Hornady Superperformance 178's or the Federal Sierra Match 168's... any thoughts?

Buy both.

For work out to 600, either will work. Just pick the one your rifle likes best. If they are close, go with the 178, as it will be just fine from 800 yds on. The 168 will fall on its ass past 600.

Ok so I'm looking at the Hornady Superperformance 178's or the Federal Sierra Match 168's... any thoughts?

Your gun could certainly have a preference for one or the other. The Sierra match 168s are a no-go for New York because they simply will not work at 1000 yards. They might be ok at 800 & 900 on a hot day. If you had a Palma rifle with a 30" barrel they would probably be ok at 1000 but with a 26" I would not even try it.

Federal 175gr match ammo is even iffy at 1000. I was looking at it on their webpage and the stated muzzle velocity 2600 fps was pretty low. It's way better than the 168s but it's still going to be transonic right when it gets to the 1000 yard target.

I would get the Hornady ammo 178 Super Performance. It's muzzle velocity (2775 fps) will get it to 1000 yards and have it be comfortably supersonic. If it does not shoot well out of your gun I have some Fed 168s I'll trade you.

The deal with staying supersonic is illustrated in this spark photography. As the bullet is slowing down look at what happens to the shockwave. Things tend to become turbulent and most bullets don't do well in this region of their flight.

sound12.jpg

That should be more than plenty for the 14th. The match in Scarborough is a Mid-Range Prone match.

COF is:

300 Yards 15 + unlimited sighters
500 Yards 15 + 2 sighters
600 Yards 15 + 2 sighters

You do this on Saturday and Sunday. You should have about 120 rounds for that weekend. New York is the same thing except done at 800, 900 & 1000.

B

That should be more than plenty for the 14th. The match in Scarborough is a Mid-Range Prone match.

COF is:

You do this on Saturday and Sunday. You should have about 120 rounds for that weekend. New York is the same thing except done at 800, 900 & 1000.

B

heh, we had a "midrange" (3x600 Canadian Fullbore) match @ reading this past weekend. pair firing, 3x15+2 convertible sighters. slung up and in position for 39minutes each relay. was a hell of a way to start stretching for the season...my shoulder is STILL sore!

now if only I didnt shoot like crap. I still havent quite figured out sight alignment with the spacegun.

So I finally got to take the Savage out to the range today. First time shooting prone and the first time with a .308. I only had time to get a few rounds out before I had to get home, but it was totally worth it.

DSC02409-1.jpg

DSC02410.jpg

100 yds with Winchester Super X 150gr

Bottom target lower right was group 1
Upper target is group 2
and Bottom target is group 3

Pretty much all over the place. I didnt really have enough time to do much more than pull the trigger a few times. It was nice to be shooting again.

COF is:

B

This is for the June match in NY? If so, you will need more than 120 rounds. Shots for record would be 45 for the Saturday Palma, 20 for the 1000 yard match, and 45 for the Sunday Palma, plus sighters for both days. I would recommend at least 150 to 175 for NY, especially of you shoot a lot of sighters to get settled.

John

John thanks. I forgot that there was a 20 shot 1000 yard match. It's been years since I've been there and I didn't read the bulletin as well as I should have.

Hope to see you there!

B

100 yds with Winchester Super X 150gr

I think you will find that the match grade ammunition will make a big difference. We can take a look at everything and if need be make modifications and get you squared away and tighten up those groups.

B

I think you will find that the match grade ammunition will make a big difference. We can take a look at everything and if need be make modifications and get you squared away and tighten up those groups.

B

I figured that had something to do with it. I ordered the Hornady yesterday. I just grabbed whatever I could find to get a few rounds through it.

Brian, I am not sure how much shooting I will be doing this year. I do little enough as is, but this year may be less. Friday, June 24 is my wife's birthday, so I have determine what she has in mind before I commit to the Forbes match.

John

heh, we had a "midrange" (3x600 Canadian Fullbore) match @ reading this past weekend. pair firing, 3x15+2 convertible sighters. slung up and in position for 39minutes each relay. was a hell of a way to start stretching for the season...my shoulder is STILL sore!

now if only I didnt shoot like crap. I still havent quite figured out sight alignment with the spacegun.

That whole two or three to a mound is awful. Teaches you to dope though.

Last time I shot in Canada they had 7 shot matches. We shot 300 & 500 meters in the morning. 7+2ss that were convertable at each yard line and then break for lunch. After an hour lunch we did the same thing at 800 & 900m. It took all frigging day to shoot 28 rounds and I was exhausted.

B

So heres what I did today. I was shooting Remington Express Core Lokt 180gr, 12 inch targets @100yds. The targets were positioned high and low on two target frames.

Group 1 (low):

photo8.jpg

The one in the center was the first round.

Group 2 (high):

photo9.jpg

Not too bad. Not too good either but not the worst.

Group 3 (low):

photo10.jpg

Yeah I dont know what happened here. I think I flinched with the two shots that are way out.

Group 4 (high):

photo11.jpg

It looks like I'm still hitting a little right here, but not awful.... see Group 3.

So I see what you mean about the ammo making a difference. It was easier (for the most part) to keep the groups in the same general area. I have a lot to work on here, but I was happy to see for myself the improvement to be had by using different ammunition.

Last edited:
I've got a question for you. How many clicks below your 100 yard zero do you have?

Given that you are going to be shooting the Hornady 178 Super Performance, I'm curious where you are in your elevation range with the ammo you had.

B

We had a great time and I got a chance to meet RJ4, his wife, and XTAV750. The weather was cool but we had good chronographing weather and no rain! [rockon]

RJ4 has some very nice rifles and we got a chance to see some impressive 200 yard groups from both the 6.5 Creedmoor and his .308. I could tell that he is also a very good shooting coach.

XTAV750 got a chance to shoot his new rifle and we got a solid 200 yard zero after some emergency rifle range gunsmithing. I think he said that this was the farthest he has shot before so it's going to be an experience when we get to Scarborough in a couple of weeks to shoot out to 600 yards. Nice job!

The Hornady Super Performance ammo shoots fast @ 2769fps (after correction back to muzzle) with a 178gr. bullet and it's going to be comfortably supersonic at 1000 yards. Looks like it is going to be a winner for Hornady.

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to take any pictures, but I promise to get some at the Scarborough match in June. [wink]

B

The Hornady Super Performance ammo shoots fast @ 2769fps (after correction back to muzzle) with a 178gr. bullet and it's going to be comfortably supersonic at 1000 yards. Looks like it is going to be a winner for Hornady.

Whoa! Hodgdon really nneds to offer that powder to the public.

I'm actually thinking it's one of the new Alliant Power Pro powders. There is some loading data on their page that has Super Performance type velocities. Cant wait to get some to try.

B

we can only dream, right?

Me? i wish atlanta arms would sell the powder blend they use in their 77gr shortline ammo they use for the AMU....or the blend for MK262Mod1

We had a great time and I got a chance to meet RJ4, his wife, and XTAV750. The weather was cool but we had good chronographing weather and no rain! [rockon]

RJ4 has some very nice rifles and we got a chance to see some impressive 200 yard groups from both the 6.5 Creedmoor and his .308. I could tell that he is also a very good shooting coach.

XTAV750 got a chance to shoot his new rifle and we got a solid 200 yard zero after some emergency rifle range gunsmithing. I think he said that this was the farthest he has shot before so it's going to be an experience when we get to Scarborough in a couple of weeks to shoot out to 600 yards. Nice job!

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to take any pictures, but I promise to get some at the Scarborough match in June. [wink]

B

Excellent day on Saturday! Thanks again to Brian for offering to have us up to Augusta. More than worth the trip. Talk about a crash course in precision long range shooting. I'm looking forward to hooking up in Scarborough next month. I've got a lot to work on between now and then. It should be a good time!

I had a ball You both have some nice sticks also we will have fun in scarborough
I hope we can get together agen Im going to try to push the 308 up a bit and now i get to play with barrel harmonics WEEEE
have fun
RJ

Finally got 300 rounds of Black Hills 168gr so I'm good to go for the warm up session. I'll see if I can get some other variety and see which type shoots better. It'll be my first trial of shooting mid-long range.

Hi June 4th!

That is great to hear. I have not shot any Black Hills ammo my self, but everything I have read about is says it's great ammo.

The Scarborough Match starts at 300 yards. It should not be too difficult to get you dialed in, if you have a zero with any ammo. 300 yards is only 4 1/2 ~ 5 minutes up from a 100 yard zero. The first stage is unlimited sighters and 15 shots for record.

I'll make up a check list of stuff that is nice to have for the match and post it. Make sure to down load the 300, 500 & 600 yard F-Class Plot sheets and have them with you.

B

Do we have a tally of people going? I'd like to book the hotel early this week, and also I'm happy to drive if someone wants to share ride with (from South Shore). Hotwire seems to have pretty decent deal going, $80/night for a 3-star hotel in Scarborough.

Back
Top Bottom