Olympic Arms pneumatic recoil system?

wheelgun

NES Member
Anyone familiar with the pneumatic piston recoil system that Olympic Arms uses on their AR's? Seems like a nice idea, but I wonder if it has any drawbacks. Of course it's a bit more complex than a simple spring, but it's supposed to offer softer recoil. And it would eliminate the noise of the spring. It's a drop-in replacement on standard AR's.

Last edited:
wheelgun said:
Anyone familiar with the pneumatic piston recoil system that Olympic Arms uses on their AR's? Seems like a nice idea, but I wonder if it has any drawbacks. Of course it's a bit more complex than a simple spring, but it's supposed to offer ofter recoil. And it would eliminate the noise of the spring. It's a drop-in replacement on standard AR's.

For a .223? Is there really enough recoil to obsess over, or is this just more clever marketing by Oly Arms?

Derek, what do you think?

wheelgun said:
I agree recoil's not a signifcant issue, but the "boing" of the spring in my ear is something I could live without :)

I don't like the boooing sound either. What I did is go to a bicycle shop and get a jar of the very thick viscosity lubricant used in the shock tubes of BMX bicycles.

When spred liberally on the spring and recoil weight, it eliminates the booing completely, and has no adverse effect on reliability.

Give it a try!

Back
Top Bottom