One last rifle before the ban

richc

NES Member
All,

I've had my license about three months and have bought quite a few toys. One of the things I've been trying to focus on are the items that have a strong chance of being banned during this administration. So I have a couple of AR's. I have an AK, and want to get one more. I also have a PTR91 and CZ VZ58. There are other toys that I won't mention. Yup, I've busted the budget but I wonder if this is the last time in my lifetime that I'll be able acquire some of these. I really think this could happen.

There is one more thing I want in my collection... a long distance tack driver. We're talking 600 yards plus. Maybe 1000 yards. It is the piece that is missing from my collection.

First, I love the look and feel of the M1A, especially the loaded models with all the bells and whistles. I love the walnut stocks. They just exude elegance and style, with amazing performance.

These cost some serious coin, especially after you outfit them with a scope that is worthy of such a rifle, bipod and other necessities. I don't mind spending the dough, but I really want to make sure I make the right choice.

What would you all recommend? Should I just "bite the bullet" and get a nicely done M1A, or are there others that you would recommend in its place? Let's say I've got a budget of around $1500 - $2500 for just the rifle (no scope or other accessories yet)... what would you do? My goal is to buy it, and buy it forever... and hopefully for my son to enjoy during his lifetime. I'm not interested in buying and selling and buying and selling to find just the right item. I want to do this right the first time... I hope anyway. That is where I need your advice.

Can y'all help a fella out here?

Thanks all for your continued great advice and insights. This forum is truly an amazing community, and a great wealth of wisdom and experience.

Best,

Rich

There are a ton of M1As out there. If you are worried about the ban, then a good barrett .50 cal is in order. That is a spike driver and in your price range. Also, said rifle is banned in CA.

By all means, get a M14 clone if you want one. They are excellent rifles.

However; you specify the "Loaded" models and 600 to maybe 1000yd "tackdriver". What do you consider a "tackdriver"? The loaded models might be good for 1MOA with handloads they absolutely love (and are probably going to be closer to 1.5MOA). The M14 is basically a 1MOA rifle, and that is a totally tricked out, gunsmith-ed competition rifle. The loaded models are a far cry from that.

A 600-1000yd tackdriver? look into the Savage F-class rifle in 6.5-284 and good glass (around $2000 with glass).

There are a ton of M1As out there. If you are worried about the ban, then a good barrett .50 cal is in order. That is a spike driver and in your price range. Also, said rifle is banned in CA.
Um, no - at least not the semi auto. It's an excellent weapon, but more like a 2 minute gun. The MacMillan Tac 50 or EDM Arms Windrunner are more likely to be submoa weapons.

Rich, save some coin and buy a 30 caliber hole puncher built on an AR platform. I have owned an Armalite AR10 and consider it a fabulous contraption. It was an A2 version and a little heavy and oversized for me to hump around.
I sold it (along with the scoped Remington 308 VS, Smith Ent. M14, and Winchester Heavy Varmint) and when i'm ready to buy another 1000 yard plinker gun it will be an Armalite 30 cal rat gun with a picatinny rail and a Nightforce Scope riding bare back. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom