Opinions on Ruger P89

I recently saw one of these for $189 in a local shop. I was not looking for another 9mm but for the $$ it might be worth it to save wear and tear on my aging s&w 39. Its a SA/DA model with what apears to be a stainless slide.
What do you think? Yea or nay?

IMO if you're lucking for a cheap centerfire handgun, rugers are pretty
much indestructible. I don't own any myself, but if I was on a limited budget
they would probably be one of my first choices. They're not the most
accurate, and don't have the best triggers, but they tend to go "bang"
every time when called upon.

-Mike

I have the P90, basically the same gun in .45, and aside from the trigger being a little gritty, I love it. Of course, it's uglier than anything else in the world except a Glock, but it's rock solid reliable.

I bought one back in 1994 and still have it. Never had a single problem with it but like was mentioned before it's bulky and the trigger leaves a little to be desired. Mine wasn't too accurate with the 115gr. bullets. After switching to 147 grainers it shoots just fine. $189 is a great price for what your getting.[wink]

Another thing I forgot to mention... Ruger's factory service is pretty
good in terms of replacing worn parts and the like. I sent an old Ruger MKII
down there, and they replaced an ass ton of parts in the thing for
free, and I wasn't even the original owner... all I had to pay for was the
shipping. So if you think the gun is a beater it might be worth sending
it down to the factory to have them give it a once over.

-Mike

Buy it if its in decent shape.

For that kind of money, you'll be getting a very reliable and durable gun. They take both ten round and fifteen round mags, will shoot any type of ammo to include the +P+ subgun ammo with no problem. As far as accuracy, I've not had any problems keeping tight groups with mine. I bought it from a board member here and very satisfied with it. They do have a long trigger pul but you can get used to it. If I hadn't just bought a lot of reloading components recently, I might be interested myself but have to let the funds replentish for a while.

Back
Top Bottom