• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Optics, what's your preference for your rifles?

Yeah, the "everything"shortage is still going strong. I had the same problem trying to get the aridus industries parts for my 1301 last year. Just have to be patient and keep checking stock everyday.
I ended up backordering one. But, I was told it could be a few months before I actually get it.

The field of view specced on it is outstanding. I don’t care for chevron reticles, but I’m tempted to give it a try. Just waiting for them to get the BDC subtensions on Strelok.

It has really long/tall crosshairs for usability at 1x, even though it’s FFP. It doesn’t have the eye box of a SFP Razor Gen II, but it surprisingly has better field of view.

View: https://youtu.be/-TQy1u-_aQI

Looks like the only downside is the daylight brightness of the reticle and no mil reticle yet.

Looks like the only downside is the daylight brightness of the reticle and no mil reticle yet.

i know PA really wants people to buy their $1300+ PLx glass, but, i wonder if there is anybody at all out there who actually does it.
as, sorry, i would go for a nightforce in that price range. or vortex razors, leupolds, swarovski etc.

they would make more money trying to perfect their SLx line and make it competitive with offers other B grade scope makers provide - like athlon, arken, swampfox, etc.

i know PA really wants people to buy their $1300+ PLx glass, but, i wonder if there is anybody at all out there who actually does it.
as, sorry, i would go for a nightforce in that price range.

they would make more money trying to perfect their SLx line and make it competitive with offers other B grade scope makers provide - like athlon, arken, swampfox, etc.

Fair, but I'd consider dropping the coin if I didn't have a razor. PA is trying to move up market while still putting out quality (for the price) cheap stuff. They seem to be successful so far.

I'd like to see its long-term durability however.

but I'd consider dropping the coin if I didn't have a razor
nah, you wouldn't. :) you would still get a razor.
and i would.

i like their SLx products but they deliberately feature limit them - no zero stops on turrets on SLx 3-18x50 scopes they have has no excuse. it is pure marketing. i do not like it at all.

as, sorry, i would go for a nightforce in that price range. or vortex razors, leupolds, swarovski etc.

I’m currently debating between the NX8 and the new PLx-C. The Nightforce’s known durability is a factor, but the PA could be durable. Time will tell. The only other thing the Nightforce has is a nuclear bright illumination. But the PA mitigates it with a reticle that is usable at 1x without illumination. The PA beats the NX8 in just about every measurable metric, and apparently in some more qualifiable quality metrics.

The PA optic is not Chinese made like the SLx, but made by Low in Japan just like top scope brands.

I love their reviews.

I have been very pleased with combinations of a 4x red dot and a reflex sight on a cant mount. I use a Vortex 3x scope and Venom on my practice gun (a BRN 180 on a Poverty Pony lower hooked to an MDT folding adapter that cost more than the complete lower) and a Leupold HAMR with a DP Pro on top on my M17S. The trick is to tilt the gun so that the reflex sight aligns with your non dominant eye and sight it that way. I do drills in which I shoot 2 at 25 yards with the reflex and transition to the 3x and shoot 2 at 50. After maybe 200 rounds, it's oddly natural and fluid.

I will note that there is a big difference in utility between those setups: the extra money in the Leupold gets you a much smaller band of obstruction around the scope image, though both setups are very usable. The better peripheral vision with the HAMR makes transitions faster.

Ended up getting the primary arms 1x prism, thank to @Ron Jablonski. I have to say, for the $240, I am pleasantly surprised. Very nice optic, a little on the heavy side, but that's okay, I like them sturdy. Huge field of view, and a ton of eye relief. Reticle is sharp and not cluttered. Very impressive for the money. I only put about 400 rounds through it today, but it stayed solid. No fogging or anything in the heavy rain.

If you guys are on a budget, or don't want to drop a ton of money, I would highly suggest looking at this optic.

A little update on the primary arms prism. The reticle works for bullet drop exactly as stated in the manual. No issues hitting steel out to 400 yards with it. The chevron is sharp.

Also, I won't mention any names, but one of my co workers accidentally dropped it on the optic. Sounded harsh, at least to my ears and I am going deaf, but it still held zero.

These cheaper chinese optics are getting really decent.

A little update on the primary arms prism. The reticle works for bullet drop exactly as stated in the manual. No issues hitting steel out to 400 yards with it. The chevron is sharp.

Also, I won't mention any names, but one of my co workers accidentally dropped it on the optic. Sounded harsh, at least to my ears and I am going deaf, but it still held zero.

These cheaper chinese optics are getting really decent.
You’ve got good eyesight if you see steel at 400 through a 1x prism. Unless it was a full size fridge door. :)
3x makes it much simpler.

You’ve got good eyesight if you see steel at 400 through a 1x prism. Unless it was a full size fridge door. :)
3x makes it much simpler.
I was concerned I was going to need a magnifier to use the chevron because of the weight of the optic itself, and I didn't want to add the weight of the magnifier. But, the chevron is very crisp. You are more than welcome to try it out.

As far as eyesight, my glasses are good. My eyes not so much.

I was concerned I was going to need a magnifier to use the chevron because of the weight of the optic itself, and I didn't want to add the weight of the magnifier. But, the chevron is very crisp. You are more than welcome to try it out.

As far as eyesight, my glasses are good. My eyes not so much.
Glad you like it. Now that you've had some time to use it if you could go back and do it again would you buy the 3x version instead? I'm tempted to grab one and try it but I'm afraid the 3x magnification will bug me while shooting 50yds or under.

Glad you like it. Now that you've had some time to use it if you could go back and do it again would you buy the 3x version instead? I'm tempted to grab one and try it but I'm afraid the 3x magnification will bug me while shooting 50yds or under.

It depends on what you want to use it for. I've used mine out to 300 yards and it works just fine, but its on a gun intended for < 100 yards. I wouldn't want 3x on it.

I don't think so, the 1x is good for out to 300 yards. I was initially hesitant about the size of the chevron, but it's plenty big enough for what I want to do with it.

If I need more magnification for something past 300 yards, I'll be grabbing a different gun anyways.

This just came in. Leupold Mk5 HD 3.6-18x Tremor 3, non-illuminated.

I wanted to get the illuminated one, but it seems Leupold is perpetually out of stock with it and the non-illuminated finally popped up as in-stock.

It’s going on a 16” 6.5CM AR that I plan to take to a PRS match later this year. I know I won’t be competitive being my first PRS match and also having a shorter barrel gas gun. But it will be fun.

I haven’t mounted the optic on the gun yet, but mini-review on the reticle: The Tremor 3 is less confusing to the eye than pictures would indicate. However, without illumination, the reticle is nearly useless below 5-8x. It’s just too fine and disappears unless the background is really light. And I’m not even talking about being able to use the drops. Just simply finding the center of the crosshairs for POA/POI shooting at low magnification seems very difficult with non-contrasted backgrounds.

I hear the illuminated Leupold has thicker crosshairs, which would really help. Especially coupled with an illuminated dot. I don’t see how this reticle is at all worth it in the NX8 2.5-20, but I may try it in the NX8 4-32 and sell either the Leupold or NX8 depending on which I prefer.

FB81611D-D900-4EA7-99CC-24A3EC308BE2.jpeg

Last edited:

I wanted to get the illuminated one, but it seems Leupold is perpetually out of stock with it and the non-illuminated finally popped up as in-stock.

It’s going on a 16” 6.5CM AR that I plan to take to a PRS match later this year. I know I won’t be competitive being my first PRS match and also having a shorter barrel gas gun. But it will be fun.

I haven’t mounted the optic on the gun yet, but mini-review on the reticle: The Tremor 3 is less confusing to the eye than pictures would indicate. However, without illumination, the reticle is nearly useless below 5-8x. It’s just too fine and disappears unless the background is really light. And I’m not even talking about being able to use the drops. Just simply finding the center of the crosshairs for POA/POI shooting at low magnification seems very difficult with non-contrasted backgrounds.

I hear the illuminated Leupold has thicker crosshairs, which would really help. Especially coupled with an illuminated dot. I don’t see how this reticle is at all worth it in the NX8 2.5-20, but I may try it in the NX8 4-32 and sell either the Leupold or NX8 depending on which I prefer.

View attachment 625126
You open for an opinion?

for the record - i am also full of opinions :) , but i am not going to criticize a $2600 leupold. :)
i do not think i would spend that much - but i respect the choice and it is a damn good optic. illuminated or not, it is very clear and bright.

and back to my arken ep5 now. :)

View attachment 625126
I have the Leupold vx-6 CDS Firedot in 3-18x50 and that illuminated dot makes all the difference in the world.

for the record - i am also full of opinions :) , but i am not going to criticize a $2600 leupold. :)
i do not think i would spend that much - but i respect the choice and it is a damn good optic. illuminated or not, it is very clear and bright.

and back to my arken ep5 now. :)
Fortunately they have a good military discount program and I didn’t spend anywhere close to that.

so, calling @cathouse01 :)

arken sh4 6-24 had arrived. so far cannot say much. it did fit well on their 20moa mount i got with a previous arken - it was too high for a bolt gun, but did fit perfectly on an AR10.
from very preliminary diffs from EP5 scope - i feel that the eyebox at 24x is tighter by some amount. cannot say more until i get both rifles side by side at a range.

987C4436-B6EA-456D-8B06-204EFF2AAB67.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom