Oregon Man Killed In Cannon Explosion

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...zer_man_killed_in_seal_rock_cannon_blast.html

Click Above Link To See Photo:

Autopsy planned for Keizer man killed in Seal Rock cannon blast

A 38-year-old Keizer man died Saturday night after a cannon explosion in Seal Rock, the Lincoln County Sheriff's office said.

Eric Rose was helping to load a black powder cannon device in a home when it exploded and he was struck by a piece of metal.

Medics found Rose unconscious at the scene and were unable to revive him. Rose, who lived in Keizer, was pronounced dead at the home.

Three other men also received injuries. One was taken to the Samaritan Pacific Communities Hospital in Newport for treatment.

In a news release, deputies said a medical examiner plans to perform an autopsy on Rose to determine his cause of death.

[shocked]

Be interesting to find out the cause of failure.... and the whole "he was packing it and it went off" thing was weird.... wonder if there was still burning stuff in it when he attempted to reload it... but even that, that wouldn't explain why the cannon itself blew apart.

-Mike

I guess he was right......An older gentleman I spoke to this spring at Knob Creek who had a modern reproduction cannon there, called those who own and fire antique and home made cannons, "Dead Men Walking" because they never know when their piece is going to give way and explode.

His cannon was made by a cannon barrel factory, of modern steel, WAY way over spec. He was firing 3# FF black powder charge and gatoraide bottles full of ball bearings and .50bmg projos. The thing was awsome. Mounted on a trailer with hydraulic and spring recoil system.

Be interesting to find out the cause of failure.... and the whole "he was packing it and it went off" thing was weird.... wonder if there was still burning stuff in it when he attempted to reload it... but even that, that wouldn't explain why the cannon itself blew apart.

-Mike

Never pack black powder with a metal object.

Never pack black powder with a metal object.

At least not steel anyway.

The guy I saw loading the cannon at the Creek had his charges weighed out in 1lb foil sausages and rammed them in pretty hard several times....three per load then shredded paper as a wadding rammed tight, then the plastic bottle of 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch ball bearings and junky 50bmg bullets, then more wadding to hold the projo in place.

There was a guy in my hometown that had a small cannon (barrel length probably less than 2ft) and would fire it off every time we scored during a home football game. During one game, he accidentally put in two charges and as he was packing in the second charge, the cannon went off. He lost most of the fingers on his left hand.

Back
Top Bottom