• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Out of State AWB Question (MA & RI)

I am in CT and visit both MA and RI regularly. MA in particular to go to the range. I have an AR platform as well as a pistol that qualifies as an AW.

MA law seems to exempt LE from their AWB, however I am not entirely clear as to if it only applies to MA LE.

RI on the other hand I am completely in the dark about.

The only thing I can gather is regardless of the weapon bans, stick to 10 round mags in both states. I was looking for any insight into taking those guns into the states.

I am in CT and visit both MA and RI regularly. MA in particular to go to the range. I have an AR platform as well as a pistol that qualifies as an AW.

MA law seems to exempt LE from their AWB, however I am not entirely clear as to if it only applies to MA LE.

RI on the other hand I am completely in the dark about.

The only thing I can gather is regardless of the weapon bans, stick to 10 round mags in both states. I was looking for any insight into taking those guns into the states.

“The provisions of this section shall not apply to: (i) the possession by a law enforcement officer;”

The law just says LEOs are exempt. It doesn’t go on to further specify that only MA LEOs are exempt. Therefore, LEOs from any state can possess “assault weapons” and large capacity magazines in MA.

As of today, May 30, 2023, RI does not have an AWB.

RI does have a magazine capacity restriction, so no more than 10. There are exceptions to the magazine capacity ban, but not many.

In Rhode Island, All Current and some retired LEOs are EXEMPT from the 10 round magazine ban. Retired LEOs have to have a LTC from the AG to qualify. AFAIK a LTC from a town does NOT qualify for the exemption.

Back
Top Bottom