• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

P226 pre-bans: Millett vs U.S.A. magazines

I absolutely could be wrong but I don't think Sig has made 226 magazines in the USA long enough for any of them to be pre-banned. Almost all of the 226 magazines I have run across were made in Italy until the last year or two. I do have some 20 rounders from the late '80s that are the zipper backs that were made in West Germany.

I absolutely could be wrong but I don't think Sig has made 226 magazines in the USA long enough for any of them to be pre-banned. Almost all of the 226 magazines I have run across were made in Italy until the last year or two. I do have some 20 rounders from the late '80s that are the zipper backs that were made in West Germany.
“USA” is a magazine manufacturer from the 1980’s

As I understand it.

Sig Magazines (Made in USA) - I've only seen these for the last couple of years.
Sig Magazines ( Made by Mec-gar) - Made in Italy. 90s throught present day.
Mec-gar Magazines - Made in Italy
Sig Magazines - Made in West Germany. Production stopped around 89 - 91 if I remember correctly

As I understand it.

Sig Magazines (Made in USA) - I've only seen these for the last couple of years.
Sig Magazines ( Made by Mec-gar) - Made in Italy. 90s throught present day.
Mec-gar Magazines - Made in Italy
Sig Magazines - Made in West Germany. Production stopped around 89 - 91 if I remember correctly
Sig made mags in Germany and imported them to the state at least until the early 2000’s , even the post 1994 ban 10 round mags were German manufactured mags with the bottom half cut off

I have some USA brand magazines for a couple of handguns.

Decent magazines for the price, but I wouldnt carry any for defensive purposes.

If you want some spare magazines for using at a range for practice, theyre a good value (although some places way overcharge for them. I wouldnt pay more than 15 per mag personally).

I bought my 226 second hand from a great guy that I used to work for in 1997. The five mags it came with were Sigs from about 1990. I still carry it now and then. Mags are great.

Sig made mags in Germany and imported them to the state at least until the early 2000’s , even the post 1994 ban 10 round mags were German manufactured mags with the bottom half cut off

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure on the dates. I do know the 20 rounders I have were from the late 80s because that's when I bought them. They are still in the original packaging and never used.

As far as the Sig/Mec-gar made in Italy versus the newer Sig made in USA.

I have a bunch of the ones made in Italy and I picked up 2 of the ones made in USA last fall when I was at Sig. I have used all of them for IDPA. Functionally I can not tell a difference. They both work as expected. The quality of construction seems to be equivalent. I use Armory Craft base plates and they work on both of them. The ones made in USA have a different finish on them and are darker in color. I don't think you would go wrong with either except the ones made in USA are not pre-ban.

Back
Top Bottom