Paintball anyone?

Pilgrims Pride

NES Member
I always thought paintball games/guns were for wannabees who couldnt step up and become real MARINES.
But, a friend from church got me to play with him and his 5 boys, and some guys from his neighborhood yesterday.
I had a blast!

My wife and I haven't played in a while. She had a spinal fusion last year and even though she's fine now I just can't stop thinking her head is gonna fall off.[shocked] We have a ton of gear and every time I mention selling it she gives me a reason not to. The group we used to play with has since thinned and moved on to other things. I'm sure if I sold it off there would be all kinds of people wanting to play. So for now I'll keep it. You'll find that sometimes the hardest thing with paintball is finding reliable people that want to play.

Swamp

I have only Paintballed once. My oldest boy had a bachcleder party at the place in Sommerville. What a bunch of a**h*** the management is! They opened the doors and let in the general public on a game that was supposed to be privite. Ended up in a Donnybrook.

I learned about Paintball guns a long time ago. A Navy Submarine buddy and I had just got out of the canoe club and he had a farm in NH. I found cases of 78 cal guns on his back porch and was wondering what was up. These were real machined blued pistols that ran on CO2 cartriges. He said that himself and another gun got these lumberjack tree markers and were going into the woods to shoot each other. They then planned to sell this wierd idea to people to run around the woods playing army.

Anyway: Yea I would like to play, but not inside a coral or building. How about just out in the woods or in a Salt Marsh or Swamp. Someplace fun.

I've only played "woodsball" on privately owned land. I know I would not enjoy going to a course with just anybody off the street. Those places tend to attract a certain type of player that I try to avoid. I've only played with friends. I have a chrono to set the velocity of the guns so everyone is at a safe level. There were a few girls in our group and the last thing I wanted was someone getting hit too hard and not wanting to play. We also have a loosely enforced no shoot under 20 or so feet. If you have the drop on someone they usually give up. It was a lot of fun. If you are looking for a good reliable gun for woodsball look at a Tippmann. Their A-5 is really reliable. Also for good recreation quality paint look at the visible impact at walmart formerly known as scorch paint. Very good for the price.

I used to play paintball a couple of weekends a month. Since moving into central Mass, I have not gone even once. I am not really sure why. Anyway, I have all the gear and the marker (Tippman 98 Custom) which I have customized some time ago. Perhaps we could do an NES paintball outing [grin]

If you are looking for a good reliable gun for woodsball look at a Tippmann.

+1

They are the only brand I buy now. I've had too many friends always messing with their spyders or auto-whatevers. Constantly tinkering to get it to work just right... or even at all. With Tippmans, just put ten drops of oil down the ASA and dry fire a few times before a day of fun and you're all set. Mine has worked that way for years.

A good field to play at was Friendly Fire in Upton, MA though I haven't been there in years and I've heard they've been bought out or maybe under new management. Nothing beats running the tape down to Hill fort!!!

I met a clerk at Lowe's in Woburn who claimed he was going to participate in a paint ball re-enactment of the Normandy Invasion! He did admit that there would not be an airborne element which sort of disappointed me.

My Lodge will be holding a paint ball fundraiser next month at Fox4 in Upton - I'll write the Master of the Lodge and find out the exact date and post it.

I went to play with a couple friends last year. We were walk-on 'renters' playing against regulars. Basically we were shell fodder for all the serious paintballers with custom guns. Right then and there I vowed never to play again unless we were our own group on our own field all with the same guns.

There's just no fun in getting picked off at 100 ft when your gun only shoots out to 50. It was especially painful for me. While I know I'm not the world's best shot, the gun wouldn't perform up to my abilities. I'm used to shooting guns where I'm the limiting factor. And to not be able to hit a guy I could have thrown a rock at was too much.

I haven't played in a while, but a buddy of mine had a permit for years to play in Coggshall Park in Fitchburg. Used to play every sunday afternoon. It's woodsball. I have also played a lot of speedball and it's fun but you go through a TON of paint.

I played for a while, but haven't gone in a couple years. When I was going to Fox 4 I was using a Tippmann A-5 for a while, but then switched over to playing with a PGP pump pistol. A lot of people think you're insane for running around with one of those.

I love paintball!

I used to have a sweet Tippmann A5. This thing out of the box was better them most $1000 custom jobs out there. Accurate and you could empty the hopper in under a minute (if your finger didnt fall off).

And I have to say, tippmann is the best quality gun you can buy.

wish I never sold it... Basically all the guys i used to play with got fat and lazy...

So id be in... but would need to rent...

Maynard Rod and Gun Club has paintball

http://maynardpaintballclub.com/index-1.html

Maynard Paintball Club is conveniently located just 15 minutes off of I 95 - it is on the town lines of Acton, Sudbury and Maynard.

Field Hours:
Maynard Paintball Club is open for walk-on play on Saturdays and Sundays from
9:00 am - 4:00 pm

Gates will open at 9:00 AM and games will run until 4:00 PM. You must be registered to play 2 hours prior to closing.

Groups of 25 or more may make reservations with a deposit 48 hours in advance for any day of the week.

That doesn't look bad but you really need to check out this place:
http://www.friendlyfirepaintball.com/

14 Acres of wooded field PLUS the speedball area. (I'm not at all a speedball fan but I'll play it if it's the last game of the day)

and every field (Minus the speedball) has actual forts with structures and obstacles... not those giant inflatable neon balloons.

They have a bunch of games at individual fields, then they'll have a game that includes all the fields. So you'll be walking along in the woods and you'll hear little skirmishes going on all around you. It's very surreal.

I met a clerk at Lowe's in Woburn who claimed he was going to participate in a paint ball re-enactment of the Normandy Invasion! He did admit that there would not be an airborne element which sort of disappointed me.

He may be referring to Oklahoma D-Day which brings like 5000 players from all over the country to a huge area in Oklahoma for like 4 days. There's amphibious assaults in boats, tanks (heavily converted trucks and cars, ATVs etc) and I think there was actually a couple of light planes once. I've always wanted to go but never had the time.

I used to be a pretty heavy paintball player, but not nearly as much these days due to time constraints.

Paintball tank -- kink of reminds me of something:

paintball_tank.jpg

sr_20060519_dukakis_tank.jpg

http://www.miniaturebrainwave.com/2007/09/26/tiny-weapons-of-mass-destruction/

OK, Franklin Lodge will be running another paintball fundraiser at Fox4 Paintball on Saturday, November 3rd. Normal admission (with unlimited air) is $25 for the day, if you come in with Franklin Lodge you pay $20. If you need rental gear, it's $40 for admission, 500 paintballs, rental mask, marker and unlimited air. Hours are 9-4.

To sign up, send an email to Master @ franklinlodge.org.

I'll get the flyer posted here as soon as I get it from the Brother who's putting it together.

Last edited:
I've only played "woodsball" on privately owned land. I know I would not enjoy going to a course with just anybody off the street. Those places tend to attract a certain type of player that I try to avoid. I've only played with friends. I have a chrono to set the velocity of the guns so everyone is at a safe level. There were a few girls in our group and the last thing I wanted was someone getting hit too hard and not wanting to play. We also have a loosely enforced no shoot under 20 or so feet. If you have the drop on someone they usually give up. It was a lot of fun. If you are looking for a good reliable gun for woodsball look at a Tippmann. Their A-5 is really reliable. Also for good recreation quality paint look at the visible impact at walmart formerly known as scorch paint. Very good for the price.

I also will not play on a commercial field anymore. There are too many jerks, cheaters and asshats that turn up their guns on the field. I live next to a large patch and woods and often play with neighborhood kids. I have a crono (to insure no one is shooting to hot), and a CO2 tank filling setup. We play weekend and night games. If anyone is interested in playing, send me a message.

I also will not play on a commercial field anymore. There are too many jerks, cheaters and asshats that turn up their guns on the field. I live next to a large patch and woods and often play with neighborhood kids. I have a crono (to insure no one is shooting to hot), and a CO2 tank filling setup. We play weekend and night games. If anyone is interested in playing, send me a message.

+1 I hate commercial fields. Too many gamers who don't know the meaning of the word "game" and punk kids out to hurt people. Plus they're overpriced and lacking in service - more like a bad arcade.

We used to play capture the flag and other "woodsball" games in the El Dorado National Forest back home - that was a blast.

OK, Franklin Lodge will be running another paintball fundraiser at Fox4 Paintball on Saturday, November 4th. Normal admission (with unlimited air) is $25 for the day, if you come in with Franklin Lodge you pay $20. If you need rental gear, it's $40 for admission, 500 paintballs, rental mask, marker and unlimited air. Hours are 9-4.

To sign up, send an email to Master @ franklinlodge.org.

I'll get the flyer posted here as soon as I get it from the Brother who's putting it together.

Saturday the 3rd or Sunday the 4th?

Back
Top Bottom