Par Times

I've been practicing running my pistol; reloads from slidlock, with retention, drawing, immediate action, etc. It occurs to me that I don't really know how long these are supposed to take, or how I'm doing. Google didn't help; all I found were some freeky-fast people on Youtube.

What are type of times that are par for common operations?

Last edited:
Are you moving on the reloads?
Are you training with dummy rounds.
If you shot to slide lock you have a brick in your hand.
Are you looking for cover or concealment?
Are you working with your off hand.
Are you going to your BUG.
Are you removing and retaining your spent mag and then pulling from your mag pouch,or rip dump and reload.

Par Time is not the key speed will come if you work on being smooth then the time will follow.

Master the fluid motions and keep it all in tight.

An empty fire arm is and has a malfunction that needs to be repaired.

Practice type 1, type 2 malfunction drills.

Practice with a training partner and have him/her critique our movements.

Take a course that forces you to work and perform under pressure.

I've been practicing running my pistol; reloads from slidlock, with retention, drawing, immediate action, etc. It occurs to me that I don't really know how long these are supposed to take, or how I'm doing. Google didn't help; all I found were some freeky-fast people on Youtube.

What are type of times that are par for common operations?
Some of the shooters I ran at The Walls of Steel were about 1.8 seconds to 2.2 seconds from slide lock to the next shot. Targets were about 8" steel at about 10-11 yards. One revlover shooter was about 2.4 seconds for the same stage.

Respectfully,
jkelly

TheRoland,

What are your training goals? Your objectives for all the training? Define your mission (goals) and then you will be able to define your training.

For example, if you are training to be more competitive in USPSA your techniques can be different than if you are training for IDPA or self defense. The short-term goal is the same for all three: get the gun running ASAP, but the techniques are varied.

Generally speaking, faster is better for clearing all stoppages, including reloads. But those videos you watched showed professional shooters using specialized competiton gear to perform those sub-one second reloads. That is certainly impressive, but not realistic if you're shooting from concealment.

You should be improving your times no matter what you are practicing. You will get the best help from a professional instructor, but you can do quite well on your own. Go visit www.pistol-training.com and find their "drills" page. They have lots of good info that might help you. If you don't have one already, get a shot timer.

Practice correctly. When you practice, either at home or the range, set your goals for that session before you start. Hold yourself to those standards. Eventually, you'll get to a training plateau where you arent improving any more. If you havent had recent, quality instruction at that point, then it is time for some. A person watching you can help you much more than you can help yourself.

Good training.

Back
Top Bottom