Pellet rifle sale?

An acquaintance would like to purchase my pellet rifle. He is under 18 so I told him I would only sell it if he had someone over 18 with him. He said that his brother who is over 18 would come. As long as I sell the rifle to his older brother am I free of any liability after the sale? I have every reason to believe that the rifle will be used only for legal activities but I just want to make sure to cover my butt. Any advice?

An acquaintance would like to purchase my pellet rifle. He is under 18 so I told him I would only sell it if he had someone over 18 with him. He said that his brother who is over 18 would come. As long as I sell the rifle to his older brother am I free of any liability after the sale? I have every reason to believe that the rifle will be used only for legal activities but I just want to make sure to cover my butt. Any advice?

Personally hun - I'd have one of the parents buy it, unless his brother is his legal guardian. However, as long as you sell it to someone over 18 you should be fine.

Disclaimer: INAL

IANAL, but I don't think that straw purchases of airguns are a crime. You should be fine. That said, Reilly sued several airsoft dealers for shipping their product into the state.

Personally hun - I'd have one of the parents buy it, unless his brother is his legal guardian. However, as long as you sell it to someone over 18 you should be fine.

+1, particularly if it is a higher-powered one.

Personally hun - I'd have one of the parents buy it, unless his brother is his legal guardian.

+1. If you know he's not supposed to have it and sell it to him through his brother, you are not helping anyone. His parents could turn you in if they get pissed off. And they will see right through that thinly vialed story!

However, as long as you sell it to someone over 18 you should be fine.

If the kid goes and shoots someone or brings it to school, you'll get screwed. They will find out how he got it. The brother will sell you down the river (though he would be culpable too, he might bargain you away).

me either, but I am a parent and if you sold my kid a air rifle without talking to me I would be mighty pissed off! Not that I don't want them to have one, but it is up to my judgment what availability they have to it, not you.

Back
Top Bottom