• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Perhaps Orwell forgot to mention the Global Pandemic that birthed Big Brother?

The long-term impact of Covid is the cession of Freedom from Individuals to Society, which at some point, I'd rather be Dead.

"Perhaps health is more important than privacy and civil liberties. Obviously, you'd have absolutely no civil liberties, freedoms, or powers if you were deceased. However, the surveillance measures now being imposed on national populations risk permanently altering how much privacy and freedom we have as individuals. And at this early stage in the life of the coronavirus, it's not clear or transparent that the health benefits they provide (as opposed to isolation and testing policies on their own) outweigh the price we'd have to pay in terms of civil liberties."

"We could so easily end up in a situation where we empower local, state or federal government to take measures in response to this pandemic that fundamentally change the scope of American civil rights," said Albert Fox Cahn of the Surveillance Technology Oversight Project, speaking to The New York Times.

Coronavirus Could Infect Privacy And Civil Liberties Forever

YUPP!! This all started With the search for the Marathon Bombers, It has been since then, a slow movement to see how much the American Public will give up to "FEEL SAFE". This in my opinion and observations will continue to progress to the further erosion of our freedoms.

Coronavirus is the perfect vehicle for populace dominance.
Far easier than Politics/Religion/social because it brands anyone that strays from their home or distance protocols as the worst kind of person and worthy of ostracization...

Coronavirus is the perfect vehicle for populace dominance.
Far easier than Politics/Religion/social because it brands anyone that strays from their home or distance protocols as the worst kind of person and worthy of ostracization...
Yes, as William Pitt said: "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves".

i know nothing about nothing. i just was to beat defecting new yorkers with a rubber hose and make them stay in gotham city.
like going to arizona!

Lol. You can still beat away Mr. Cobra. as long as every thump is followed by an "I'm sorry. It's for your own good..."

And Arizona is for AFTER the virus is placed in our rear-view mirrors...

Last edited:
mr. @enbloc, you should have seen the other guy when about 25 sox fans chased him down. [laugh] a story for when you take me out for drinks when we meet finally when i visit you in arizona! deal!

Yep. In case anyone hasn't seen the Orwellian result of tracking thousands of cell phones originating at a single Florida spring break beach, here's a look at their secondary positions after leaving said beach:

960x0.jpg

I doubt few of us can cast the first stone because nearly all of us opt for the convenience of a mobile phone without regard for the repercussions on freedom.

There's a flip side to the absolute preservation of 'freedom', however. Why should the rest of the nation be put at much greater risk because entitled idiots are returning from locations greedy enough to allow huge groups to congregate? What say you, NES? Continue to let @ssholes congregate in groups of thousands then return and disperse at will in the name of freedom? Or do something in light of the current circumstances? Just say no and hope for the best, or take measures to ensure safety?

One concept of freedom is do whatever you wish so long as it does not harm others. Should that apply to @ssholes who blatantly ignore generally accepted measures to contain the virus? Aren't they likely to harm others? Fair to restrict people unless they are proven to be a carrier? I don't think there's an easy answer.

How the hell did you like them before the mini bat to the head?
didn't hurt too bad, i still remember el duque was on the mound for the yanks but can't remember who was for the sox. i have short term sox memory loss now. [laugh] i'm a lucky old guy, have experienced a lot of stuff in my life. [cheers]

I always think of Freedom to Associate as the weakest of the Bill of Rights, that invariably requires some construct of Society to be defined and agreed upon to be granted to Individuals.

That said, I don't think I should have to give up privacy and illegal search rights for Society to enforce Social Distancing.

That said, everyone signs the Ts & Cs of social media, wireless service providers, etc., so can opt out. It's when the GPS implants become mandatory that things are really f***ed up.

One concept of freedom is do whatever you wish so long as it does not harm others. Should that apply to @ssholes who blatantly ignore generally accepted measures to contain the virus? Aren't they likely to harm others? Fair to restrict people unless they are proven to be a carrier? I don't think there's an easy answer.

I wonder how long it will take people to realize that Facebook is constantly trying to over reach your privacy boundaries.
Lol. It’s not just Facebook. How many of you here love the cash back from your credit cards. What do you think your selling them?

Lol. It’s not just Facebook. How many of you here love the cash back from your credit cards. What do you think your selling them?
Yes. But with a cash back credit card you are getting more in return and most people are aware of the transaction of personal data for a cash reward. With Facebook I don’t believe people realize it is happening. Also Facebook has access to far more than your spending habits

YUPP!! This all started With the search for the Marathon Bombers, It has been since then, a slow movement to see how much the American Public will give up to "FEEL SAFE". This in my opinion and observations will continue to progress to the further erosion of our freedoms.

I had one friend suggest that the Marathon Bomber reaction was a tribute to how Americans pulled together in times of trouble, hoping our reaction to COVID19 would be the same. I was almost speechless... WTF did Metro-Bostonians do other than stay indoors while 1000s of armed LEOs swarmed about, sirens howling and lights flashing? Nada. And then we bought Boston Strong T-Shirts.

I had one friend suggest that the Marathon Bomber reaction was a tribute to how Americans pulled together in times of trouble, hoping our reaction to COVID19 would be the same. I was almost speechless... WTF did Metro-Bostonians do other than stay indoors while 1000s of armed LEOs swarmed about, sirens howling and lights flashing? Nada. And then we bought Boston Strong T-Shirts.
View attachment 343348

The language in the document allows for detainment without due process nor trial during any event designated an emergency. Who decides what is an emergency and what crimes are liable to be held without due process nor trial? National emergency or local?

Back
Top Bottom