Personal defense: Light Saber

Only $200. It can set a man on fire.

WickedLasers Unveils "Lightsaber" Powerful Enough to Set People on Fire
Jason Mick (Blog) - June 10, 2010 3:23 PM

The product comes with a warning that the weapons-grade laser can burn and/or blind people or animals. (Source: WickedLasers)

The laser retails for a mere $200 an is perhaps a good self-defense tool in urban areas. (Source: WickedLasers)It goes without saying that this product is not safe for children

With recent advances in lasers, many have fantasized about creating "real life lightsabers". Many military commanders have fantasized about creating portable blasters along the lines of those portrayed in fictional workers like Star Trek and Star Wars. The Spyder III Pro Arctic laser from WickedLasers can be seen perhaps as the culmination of those efforts and perhaps the first consumer laser weapon.

The laser is built with a diode from Casio's new mercury-free Green Slim projectors which ironically have a somewhat blue tint. The laser is rated at 1 watt of power and retails for a mere $200 USD.

And here's the best (or worst) part -- it can set people (or things) on fire. Apparently the laser is so high powered that shining it on fleshy parts will cause them to burst into flames. Of course it's equally capable of blinding people. The retailer warns:

Warning: Extremely dangerous is an understatement to the power of 1W of laser power. It will blind permanently and instantly and set fire quickly to skin and other body parts, use with extreme caution and only when using the included eye protection. Customers will be required to completely read and agree to our Class IV Laser Hazard Acknowledgment Form.
If you're willing to "sign the form", WickedLasers warns you "With greater power comes the need for greater responsibility." (We can't make this stuff up, really!)

The laser comes in sleek packaging that looks, unsurprisingly like a lightsaber. Hopefully its users follow the path of the light side. The last thing we need is a bunch of Sith running around.

The price of $200 is quite commendable, considering it's 20 times as powerful as the company's previous best model, "Sonar", while a mere tenth of the cost ("Sonar" sells for $2,000 -- we imagine it will be discontinued as it seems most customers will flock to the Spyder III). The product even comes with a free pair of safety glasses, so you don't accidentally blind yourself.

Obviously it goes without saying that this is not a product to leave around kids. Don't say we didn't warn you.

http://www.dailytech.com/WickedLase...Enough+to+Set+People+on+Fire/article18681.htm

I suspect that THIS guy was somehow involved in the development of this weapon:

md_arcade.jpg

"Mr. West, how nice of you to join us tonight and add color to these monochromatic proceedings."

Hokey religions and ancient weapons (Arctic Blue laser) are no match for a good blaster (insert your favorite gun here) at your side, kid.

Something seems quite off about it. But who knows? We'll see what all those peeps on the laser forum who stated they ordered it have to say about the thing once they get it.

1000mW for 200 bux? Just doesn't make much sense, "introductory price" notwithstanding.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons (Arctic Blue laser) are no match for a good blaster (insert your favorite gun here) at your side, kid.

Something seems quite off about it. But who knows? We'll see what all those peeps on the laser forum who stated they ordered it have to say about the thing once they get it.

1000mW for 200 bux? Just doesn't make much sense, "introductory price" notwithstanding.

It's really $200 for 50mw. The 500mw version is $3K.

http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/Spyder_III_Pro-84-37.html

Say if I get the 500mw version,can I set fire to someone in a car driving next to me ?
Well, if not, just get 2 and aim them at the same spot. [wink] That's the joy of light. Infinite power focused in parallel on one spot.

(Disclaimer: do not set first to someone in car driving next to you... They might veer into you and that would be dangerous.)[laugh]

This is better than airsoft guns at my body shop. Our painter suffers from a severe case of ass crack always showing... I can't wait to literally burn him a new a**hole.[devil]

Well, if not, just get 2 and aim them at the same spot. [wink] That's the joy of light. Infinite power focused in parallel on one spot.

(Disclaimer: do not set first to someone in car driving next to you... They might veer into you and that would be dangerous.)[laugh]

I didn't think that far ahead,thanks for pointing that out.

I'm just going to go ahead and hold off on purchasing one of those lasers for the time being.

I'll wait for the lightsaber carving knife or cheese knife, dammit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have some real world specs on this i.e. at what kind of range is it good for? I bet starting a camp fire will be a hell of a lot easier even with wet logs, hell I bet you can get the BBQ going real quick too.

Back
Top Bottom