Photos changing

I was recently looking for something in my old posts, and I found a post from last June where the image I pasted had changed. It was my response in one of Doobie's threads in which I had pasted an image of a joke American flag lapel pin. The correct image appeared at that time.
I now find that it's been replaced by a different image, one that I had PM'd to someone else almost two months later.
Why, or how, would this happen? And how often?
It's not really important now, but looking at it with my tinfoil hat on, in a court it could appear to have been intentionally altered. I thought that once this stuff was out there, it was there forever. How can you go back and change it?

Been thinking about this for an hour, and I think I might have a clue, but I'd like to hear from someone who knows what they're talking about.
Thanks, Bill

I'm curious where the photos are being hosted and the names they were hosted under. Are both photos currently being hosted?

I suppose if you hosted them, its possible both images got hosted with the same generic name. the first image was removed from the hosting site which broke the link. Then the newer image you sent in the PM gets hosted with the same name, ultimately fixing the broken link and showing the PMed Image rather than the American flag.

Then again I'm not 100% sure what your situation is but this is one way it could happen.

I'm curious where the photos are being hosted and the names they were hosted under. Are both photos currently being hosted?

I suppose if you hosted them, its possible both images got hosted with the same generic name. the first image was removed from the hosting site which broke the link. Then the newer image you sent in the PM gets hosted with the same name, ultimately fixing the broken link and showing the PMed Image rather than the American flag.

Then again I'm not 100% sure what your situation is but this is one way it could happen.

That's probably how I screwed it up.
I use Photobucket.
I took the flag image from Snopes http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/57states.asp and IIRC hosted it on Photobucket, then pasted it into Doobie's thread.
I don't know where I found the other pic, (an old crone in a rocking chair), but I also hosted it on Photobucket http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd164/billmelater1/th_untitled.jpg then pasted it into a message.
Since then I've edited my albums a little, and the flag pin photo was one of the ones deleted. It's gone, so I can't tell for sure if these photos both got the same name in Photobucket, but I guess they did. I'll give each photo a unique ID from now on.
Thanks for your help, guys.

Back
Top Bottom