• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

pistol permit application

if a person has gone sucessfully thru accelerated rehab for a violation should the violation be listed on the pistol permit application?

this data has not appeared on any employer background check (to my knowledge) and accel rehab is suppose to remove the violation from a person's record.

looking for advice

thanks

Welcome to NES. Lots of good people here with good info...

what is the violation and what the hell is accelerated rehab? Getting out of jail early on good behavior? or drug abuse rehab? Is the violation a statutory disqualifier?

What state do you live in? Laws vary greatly between states.

If you live in MA, the questions can be a little tricky but it's not rocket science. Just don't lie because they will catch you.

Any arrest for which you were fingerprinted WILL ABSOLUTELY 100% POSITIVELY SHOW UP!!! Sealed record? Doesnt matter! You still have to acknowledge it.

Here are the disqualifiers in MA: (BTW, there's nothing stopping you from doing a little research youself on the google machine. Go to mass.gov on the interweb and type in "gun laws" under search and a ton of information straight from the horse's ass er mouth magically appears for your perusal...)

i) has, in any state or federal jurisdiction, been convicted or adjudicated a youthful offender or delinquent child for the commission of (a) a felony; (b) a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than two years; (c) a violent crime as defined in section 121; (d) a violation of any law regulating the use, possession, ownership, transfer, purchase, sale, lease, rental, receipt or transportation of weapons or ammunition for which a term of imprisonment may be imposed; or (e) a violation of any law regulating the use, possession or sale of controlled substances as defined in section 1 of chapter 94C;

(ii) has been confined to any hospital or institution for mental illness, unless the applicant submits with his application an affidavit of a registered physician attesting that such physician is familiar with the applicant’s mental illness and that in such physician’s opinion the applicant is not disabled by such an illness in a manner that should prevent such applicant from possessing a firearm;

(iii) is or has been under treatment for or confinement for drug addiction or habitual drunkenness, unless such applicant is deemed to be cured of such condition by a licensed physician, and such applicant may make application for such license after the expiration of five years from the date of such confinement or treatment and upon presentment of an affidavit issued by such physician stating that such physician knows the applicant’s history of treatment and that in such physician’s opinion the applicant is deemed cured;

(iv) is at the time of the application less than 21 years of age;

(v) is an alien;

(vi) is currently subject to: (A) an order for suspension or surrender issued pursuant to section 3B or 3C of chapter 209A or a similar order issued by another jurisdiction; or (B) a permanent or temporary protection order issued pursuant to chapter 209A or a similar order issued by another jurisdiction; or

(vii) is currently the subject of an outstanding arrest warrant in any state or federal jurisdiction.

EDIT: I just realized this is in the the CT laws forum so you can take my post with a giant grain of salt.

Last edited:
accelerated rehab

the violation is not one of ct's eleven disqualifiers. it was not a felony. my concern is to have this on a public record if it doesnt have to be. accelerated rehabilitation is a one time offering provided by the state, if you keep your record clean for 12 months after the conviction the volation is supposedly entirely removed from your record and your record will be cleansed. if that is the case i do not want to put it back on my record.

If an applicant has successfully completed their Accelerated Rehabilitation (AR), then the charges are dropped. The is no conviction. There is, however still a record of the arrest. So, it depends on how things are worded. If a document asks "Have you ever been arrested?" then YES, you HAVE. If it asks if you've been CONVICTED of a crime, then NO, not in that instance.

This is one of those instances when spending a couple hundred bucks on a good attorney is probably money well spent.

Just remember that you're application goes to the FBI in Virginia for the backround investigation so I would def. not intentionally leave anything out.As mentioned above,it all depends on how it is worded on the app.I would go down to your local PD and talk to the officer/detective in charge of pistol permits and ask him whether or not it should be listed on the app.Most of the time thay are very helpful.

USMC: Sorry, but I would not trust a police officer for advice on legal issues. They are most likely going to mean well, but often are not that familiar with the law. And on many of these applications, answering incorrectly can be a crime in and of itself.

My local dealer mentioned that for $25, you can arrange a background check here in CT, before applying. That would avoid the hassle if you have any disqualifiers.

My local dealer mentioned that for $25, you can arrange a background check here in CT, before applying. That would avoid the hassle if you have any disqualifiers.

Which is fine, as long as you are only concerned with your CT record. The background check you're referring to only covers you for a record in the state of CT. If you want a national background check, you'll have to get fingerprinted and send the prints to the FBI to have them check your record.

I'm concerned because I want to get my CT LTC, but I have a few minor indiscretions in MA when I was a much younger and idiotic lad. I don't recall all of the details about them, so I wish to do a check to get the dates, and everything else sorted out to list them on my application. Only problem is that the MA record check I can pay and get only goes back 7 years, not the 16 or so years I need. I'm concerned that I won't have my facts completely straight, and they will either deny my permit or come down on me for not be factual on the the app!

Only problem is that the MA record check I can pay and get only goes back 7 years, not the 16 or so years I need. I'm concerned that I won't have my facts completely straight, and they will either deny my permit or come down on me for not be factual on the the app!

Are you sure about this, I just received my CORI. It went back to 1991.

Kurt

Back
Top Bottom