• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pistol permit woth drug arrest but no conviction?

about a year. it wasn't honorable, but it wasn't dishonorable either. this was 8 years ago.

So, a "General Discharge" then? I continue to find myself drawn, like a moth to the flame, to this thread.

"About a year", in my experience, usually means 9 or 10 months. Am I close?

And, uh, if I may ask ... why did you separate from the service on a less-than-honorable basis?

I'm fascinated by this discussion. Really, I am.

(You got relatives in Sandisfield?)

it was 11 months. and it was a general discharge, not dishonorable. i wanted to get out for my own reasons and they offered to let me out without serving the 4 years with whats called a general discharge. there was also a situation that happened, but that didn't have much to do with it. it wasn't anything bad though. where is sandisfield?

I made a dumb mistake when I was 20, and now at age 58 I find myself still explaining that one bad decision.

The approach I have taken over the years is to ask the Chief of Police for an appointment BEFORE I made an application. I'd sit with the Chief and disclose my past, and stressing my current life, military service and community involvement.

At first it was difficult, but now I've established a reputation that I am proud of, and the police know me and that I am a responsible ADULT these days.

The last time I renewed, it took me just 30 days for my LTC A no restrictions.

I think if I were you I'd check into the FID card if there is such a thing in Ct. In Mass, after 5 years of clean records after SOME convictions, you can get an FID. After that, it might take a few more years to get a License for handguns or Hi-cap, or it might NEVER happen.

I wear my seatbelt, I don't speed, my car is inspected, insured and in good shape. I don't flip off people on the road, and I am extremely safety conscious when handling guns and my personal habits.

Can you overcome a not so great history? Yes, but it isn't easy sometimes.

Good luck with working on, and improving your life. You have to learn to be patient.

thank you for the encouragment? what exactly is an fid card? like i said before, the thing i have going for me is in the town i live in now the police chief is a friend of the family. i don't know if i will still be living here when i apply though.

thank you for the encouragment? what exactly is an fid card? like i said before, the thing i have going for me is in the town i live in now the police chief is a friend of the family. i don't know if i will still be living here when i apply though.

CT is a logical state

No FID.

a Pistol permit in CT is ONLY for concealed carry.

also CT is a shall issue state, unlike Mass where the LTC is at the whim of the Police Chief in CT you can only be denied if you have a statutory disqualifier.

Firearm Prohibitors
1. No person convicted for a Felony or a Misdemeanor crime of domestic violence involving the use or threatened use of physical force or a deadly weapon may possess any firearms in Connecticut.

2. No person may obtain a Pistol Permit, Eligibility Certificate, or possess any handguns if they are less than 21 years of age, subject to a Protective or Restraining Order, or if they have been convicted of a felony, or convicted in Connecticut for any of the following misdemeanors:

* Illegal possession of narcotics or other controlled substances - 21a-279(c)
* Criminally negligent homicide - 53a-58
* Assault in the third degree - 53a-61
* Assault of a victim 60 or older in the third degree - 53a-61a
* Threatening - 53a-62
* Reckless endangerment in the first degree - 53a-63
* Unlawful restraint in the second degree - 53a-96
* Riot in the first degree - 53a-175
* Riot in the second degree - 53a-176
* Inciting to riot - 53a-178
* Stalking in the second degree - 53a-181d, or

3. Other persons prohibited from possessing a firearm include anyone convicted as delinquent for the commission of a serious juvenile offense; or has been discharged from custody within the preceding twenty years after having been found not guilty of a crime by reason of mental disease or defect; or has been confined in a hospital for persons with psychiatric disabilities (as defined in section 17a-495) within the preceding twelve months by order of a probate court; or is subject to a firearms seizure order issued pursuant to subsection (d) of section 18 of public act 99-129 after notice and an opportunity to be heard have been provided to such person; or is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States.

Nothing personal dude, but ALL of this info is on the state website regarding firearms.

google my friend

yeah, i've seen that before and knew all that, but even though my charges were dropped they will still show up and i could still be denied even though technically by law i should still be approved. it all depends on who the reviewing officer is i guess. when it comes time i will just consult with a lawyer and have him ready if i'm not approved and need to file an appeal.

plus i'm one of those people with no patients who wants instant gratification. one of my many flaws.

Prisons are full of people who have the same identical problem as yours.

Look, we tend to live in an unforgiving society and I appreciate your efforts to straighten out your life. There is not one person on this board, I would venture to say, who has in the course of his or her lifetime done something stupid or illegal or most probably both.

Having said that, as much as I support the 2A and your right to keep and bear arms, with that right comes certain responsbilities and a tremendous sense of moral obligation to keep your cool and to hold yourself to a higher level of behavioral standards.

With great candor you are sharing with us that you have poor impulse control (which is what probably got you into the jams you have gotten yourself into) and if that impulse is driving you to obtain a license now because you are impatient, then this, my friend is not the time to be considering purcharing a firearm or carrying one.

When you have a better a handle on impulse control issues, and get other aspects of your life straightened out, then obtain the services of an attorney who specializes in firearms law and spend whatever it takes in fees to prepare a case, if you will, for a firearms license.

I will be honest with you. The fact that you have a General Discharge from the military makes me predjudiced against you. People who are granted such discharges (Under Honorable Conditions which is, no matter how you slice it, not the same as Honorable, even though the veteran's benefits for both an Honorable and a General Discharge are virtually the same) means that you really couldn't cut it the miltary for some reason or another....and in my book you had a golden opportunity to take charge of your life, but you chose not to. Having a General Discharge is nothing to be particularly proud of despite its wording "Under Honorable Conditons"....now this is just Mark's opinion, but I suspect that many others feel this way too. The military invested time training you and expected four years of service from you in a contractual obligation, and you wanted out for yourself, that means in effect somebody else had to work a little harder because you weren't there and they had to wait until another individual was recruited and trained to replace you. Then too, you were involved in some "little incident".

You appear to be making progress though, and I do praise you for that, but you still have a long way to go in the impulse control department and you need to get those frontal lobes working better for yourself. I hope you are taking advantage of any community mental health opportunities that are available to you.

Best of luck to you,

Mark L.

Last edited:
yeah, i've seen that before and knew all that, but even though my charges were dropped they will still show up and i could still be denied even though technically by law i should still be approved. it all depends on who the reviewing officer is i guess. when it comes time i will just consult with a lawyer and have him ready if i'm not approved and need to file an appeal.

In which case you appeal the decision

if you aren't bright enough to understand the law then you shouldn't be carrying a pistol.

thanks for the encouragement. funny thing happened today. i got pulled over on my way to work and the state cop saw my arrests from a couple years ago and pulled me out of the car and searched my car and my person. well obviously he didn't find anything but i asked him if he saw my drug arrests and he said yes. i then asked him if would be able to get my pistol permit since they weren't convictions. he told me that as long as they were convictions they shouldn't matter. i was also told by someone today that if i get denied i can file an appeal and there is some kind of board that will go to bat for you if you have been wrongly denied. anyone know if this is true?

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/site/default.asp

This is the site to go to for info on appeals.As long as there were no convictions I don't see a problem.If you are denied however they do have to provide you with the reason why and then you can appeal it if you wish.I would first apply before getting a lawyer and leave absolutely NOTHING out.You will not be asked about the child support or the anti-depressants on the app.

P.S. Some of the people on this forum have absolutely nothing better to do with their lives then to break balls ALL THE TIME to discourage you so you don't disturb their little clicks.[smile]

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/site/default.asp

This is the site to go to for info on appeals.As long as there were no convictions I don't see a problem.If you are denied however they do have to provide you with the reason why and then you can appeal it if you wish.I would first apply before getting a lawyer and leave absolutely NOTHING out.You will not be asked about the child support or the anti-depressants on the app.

P.S. Some of the people on this forum have absolutely nothing better to do with their lives then to break balls ALL THE TIME to discourage you so you don't disturb their little clicks.[smile]

This is horrible advice all around. The op or anyone for that matter should make every conceivable effort to ensure that they do not receive a denial at any point prior to the application as they will always have to disclose it if asked. Why add a red flag to an already tarnished record? Several people have mentioned this as a fact.

I dont think anyone went out of their way to discourage him though in any group there are ball busters. I read and think we provided a fair amount of information, some personal stories and a lot more guidance to the process than you gave in your remarks to lead him down the wrong path.

This is horrible advice all around. The op or anyone for that matter should make every conceivable effort to ensure that they do not receive a denial at any point prior to the application as they will always have to disclose it if asked. Why add a red flag to an already tarnished record? Several people have mentioned this as a fact.

I dont think anyone went out of their way to discourage him though in any group there are ball busters. I read and think we provided a fair amount of information, some personal stories and a lot more guidance to the process than you gave in your remarks to lead him down the wrong path.

How is this leading him down the wrong path if the State of Connecticut DEP themself state right in the application that if you are not CONVICTED of any of the offenses listed,you will be issued a permit???Please tell me! He has not according to him been convicted of any of them so what is the problem?This is not Mass.where they look at you and decide wheather or not you will be granted a permit!Maybe you should research a bit.

This guy is asking for some reliable sound advice and the only thing you out of state guys can do is laugh in his face and make a mockery of him instead of help him out.By the way,I was not specifically referring to you personally when I stated that.

Last edited:
wow, sounds like he had it in for you. the one thing that i would have going for me as of right now is that the chief of police in the town where i currently live is a friend of the family. plus my grandmother used to be the first selectman so he pretty much worked for her. but even if i was approved on the town level that wouldn't help me on the state level. so basically i'm just going to wait for now, try to get some legal advice and go from there. maybe find out some things i can do that would look good for me when it comes for me to apply, along with just keeping my nose clean from now until then obviously.

Who's your dad, Michael, Joe, or their older brother who's name I don't remember? I used to live down the street, behind the Caso's until 2nd grade. I was in Michael's grade.

How is this leading him down the wrong path if the State of Connecticut DEP themself state right in the application that if you are not CONVICTED of any of the offenses listed,you will be issued a permit???Please tell me! He has not according to him been convicted of any of them so what is the problem?This is not Mass.where they look at you and decide wheather or not you will be granted a permit!Maybe you should research a bit.

This guy is asking for some reliable sound advice and the only thing you out of state guys can do is laugh in his face and make a mockery of him instead of help him out.By the way,I was not specifically referring to you personally when I stated that.

Since the OP is no longer replying this is pretty much moot.

I think what you gave was bad advice as having someone rush in for a denial that they will have to admit to on every form going forward seems more than unwise.

It raises the original issue of the denial and the person who was denied starts a series of denials all stemming from the initial incident which by the advice given by many in this same thread should have been cleared up as a much as was possible in the first place. To me that just makes a lot of sense, but if people are willing to go the other route and then wind up getting a lawyer to fix the mess...why not just consult with the lawyer the first time?

Last edited:
Your use of anti-depressants should not even be an issue, the question will not even come up on your application...

You really need to find a lawyer to work your way through this successfully. Good luck.

The question IS on the CT pistol permit application, as well as prior misdemeanor and felony conviction's, restraining orders and drug usage.

The OP really will have an uphill battle to get a permit

Just curious as to how they phrase it. I found a non-resident application on the internet and they don't ask it. Is it a statutory denial?

http://www.ct.gov/dps/lib/dps/special_licensing_and_firearms/dps-799-c.pdf

Looking at page 4 of the link you posted, I see that the reference to using drugs for mental illness is NOT asked. I think I am confusing the form one fills out when purchasing a firearm, which does ask if you are on medication for a mental illness

In other words, my bad [sad2]

Last edited:
Looking at page 4 of the link you posted, I see that the reference to using drugs for mental illness is NOT asked. I think I am confusing the form one fills out when purchasing a firearm, which does ask if you are on medication for a mental illness

In other words, my bad [sad2]

Nah. it's easy to get confused with all this paperwork and the way each question is nuanced. [cheers]

Huh? Which form is that? The federal 4473 certainly does NOT ask that question (and I suspect that asking such a question is illegal).

http://www.atf.gov/forms/4473/index.htm

The 4473 asks a number of questions. The only one concerning mental illness is question f, which asks:
Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective or have you ever been committed to a mental institution?

Back
Top Bottom