Play nice and be a good boy

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090801/NEWS/908010380

A former Fairhaven man was shot dead this week during an argument at a McDonald's drive-up in Myrtle Beach, S.C.

Ross C. Vigeant, 38, a 1988 graduate of Fairhaven High School who moved to South Carolina six years ago with his wife and children, died Wednesday night after he was shot once in the chest.

Myrtle Beach police arrested Matthew S. Miller, 30, of Myrtle Beach and charged him with voluntary manslaughter and possession of a firearm during the commission of a violent crime.

According to a police report, Vigeant and Miller were waiting in the McDonald's drive-up lane when Miller began yelling at Vigeant to move his vehicle.

Police said Vigeant pulled out of the drive-through lane, parked his car and approached Miller's vehicle. During the ensuing argument, Vigeant punched the suspect, police said.

Several witnesses told police they heard a "pop" and then saw Miller speeding away from the parking lot. Meanwhile, Vigeant staggered back to his vehicle and collapsed.

Emergency personnel arrived and found Vigeant lying unresponsive in the parking lot. He later was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.

Police apprehended Miller at his apartment after a witness gave investigators a description of the suspect's vehicle. Officers seized the car and a 9-mm pistol, according to a police report.

Miller's parents told the Myrtle Beach Sun News that the suspect had a concealed-weapons permit and might have feared for his life when Vigeant punched him. They said he suffered serious injuries when he was assaulted by six people in 2006.

Vigeant lived in Summerville, S.C., with his wife, Claudia, a teaching assistant at a local elementary school, and their three children, ages 8 to 14.

Relatives said Vigeant had gone to Myrtle Beach early Wednesday for a two-day golfing trip with a friend. He was supposed to return home Thursday afternoon.

"He just wanted to have a few beach days and golf," said Elisabeth Williamson, a friend who spoke on behalf of the Vigeant family.

Williamson said Vigeant was a devoted family man who married Claudia 15 years ago after the couple met in high school.

"They were basically soul mates," Williamson said, adding that Vigeant had a close relationship with his two young daughters and son.

"He loved doing things with his children."

When not at work, Williamson said, Vigeant often attended his children's sporting events and enjoyed working around the house.

"He loved fixing things," Williamson said.

"He also loved singing and entertaining. He just had a beautiful voice. A song would come on the radio and he would just burst out singing if he was at a party or something."

Vigeant was born in New Bedford and lived in Fairhaven for many years.

He and his family left Massachusetts in 2003 after he accepted a roofing job in Charleston, S.C.

Vigeant most recently was a superintendent for Fort Roofing in Charleston.

The funeral is scheduled for Monday at St. Luke's Lutheran Church in Summerville. He is survived by several relatives in Massachusetts and across the country

At 38, should you really be rumbling and bumbling around in a Mcee Dee's parking lot? Miller shouldn't have fled from the scene but Vigeant had no business reaching into anyone's car and trying to beat them to a pulp. Stupid games = stupid prizes. Looks like a 9mm does just fine.

Damn...this same situation happened to me and a buddy while we were in a drive thru at the McDonalds in Everett on rt.16 at like 1am, but with out any shooting.

some other vehicle with a gang of people tryed to pull into the drive thru lane infront of us, coming from an extreme angle. we obviously were there first but the driver insisted to try to cut us off, but my buddy pulled up before she could get in. and before you know it shes was screaming at the top of her lungs with her body out the window, then gets out of the blazer comes to the drivers side window and starts spitting, punching the car and cussing non-stop. we just simplly called the cops, because we were not about to get out and start swinging punches, it was gonna be 2 on 4,.. and then finally after 10 mins someone else with a brain from the vehicle grabs her and then they take off.

Last edited:
I was at a McD's late night once and some chicks pulled up in the car behind mine and they left the car and proceeded to urinate on the side of the parking lot. It was interesting to watch. And then I got cursed out over the order-box because he heard the girls yelling and cursing and he thought it was my car... [rolleyes]

Anyway, people get heated over their McD's, remember the lady that called 9-1-1 about her nuggets?

Reason #124 to avoid getting into a fight. ALWAYS assume the other guy is armed. Since I started doing that, it is so much easier just to walk/drive away from potential altercations.

If this (dead) guy knew the other guy had a gun, do you think he would have gotten out of his car, walked over to him and punched him? Nope. He made the FATAL assumption that the other guy was unarmed.

The guy shouldn't have gotten out of his car and approached the suspect anyway. That is escalating the violence.

But they both sound like jerks. Being beaten years ago isn't good enough reason to shoot someone who punches you.

I'd love to hear... "the rest of the story".

If he had put the gun down and tried to keep the guy from dying he'd probably have been ok after a bit of courtroom time, it was stupid to drive away. Defending yourself = self defense, shooting somebody and driving off = trying to get away with a crime

Being beaten years ago isn't good enough reason to shoot someone who punches you.".

Let's be honest if Miller put a couple of stabs into big boy and produced the same result more people would think it would be ok. This is going out on a limb here but if you're getting the snot beat out of you as your belted into your car seat you don't have many options of getting this guy away from you. OC spray may have been an option. Getting beat up years ago isn't an excuse to go straight for your gun but getting the piss beat out of you at the present time (no matter your history) can sure merit putting one shot in this guy's direction.

Last edited:
Let's be honest if Miller put a couple of stabs into big boy and produced the same result more people would think it would be ok. This is going out on a limb here but if you're getting the snot beat out of you as your belted into your car seat you don't have many options of getting this guy away from you. OC spray may have been an option. Getting beat up years ago isn't an excuse to go straight for your gun but getting the piss beat out of you at the present time (no matter your history) can sure merit putting one shot in this guy's direction.

How about either a) don't start screaming at hotheads at McDonalds, b) driving off or if you want to be a tough guy c) getting out of your car and throwing down in the parking lot.

I swear I think I'm in junior high around here sometimes. Everyone has the 2nd Amendment right to have a firearm, but some people with small penises and big egos should probably just self-exclude.

This a**h*** felt like a big man because he was carrying a gun. He started with this guy. The guy wasn't right to try and kick his ass but you don't start fights when you are carrying. Stupid games....

A little more situational awareness might have avoided this issue too. As a matter of fact, he was DRIVING a 2000 pound weapon. He could have driven away as the first punch was thrown. It never would have gotten to a life or death confrontation with me. Of course, I have my middle fingers wired down these days so I can't flip the bird at anyone either![wink]

I think this guy's biggest mistake was leaving the scene of a shooting. I bet the court would have looked at this a little differently if he didn't flee like he was guilty.

Back
Top Bottom