Please 'splain the reason...

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
I took my M1Carbine and my 1917 Eddystone to the range today. Also took along about a dozen 10 inch pumpkins that needed killing.

I put them on the 50 yard berm and fired away with the Carbine. Pumpkins exploded like they were stuffed with dynomite.

Picked up the 30.06 and shot a few rounds at some of the survivors. I said to myself, Self you're missing those pumpkinis with this rifle, you're a lousy shot.

Went down to inspect things and found lotsof holes dead center in several pumpkins that were targeted by the .30-06. Backs of the punkins were gone but except for the holes, the fronts were intact. No explosions with the 30-06.

I figured for sure the 06 would blow them to hell and gone and thought the carbine would puch some holes like the smaller calibers do but I was exactly reversed in my actual shooting.

If using pumpkins is a good comparison, in war, a head sot with a carbine would blow the head apart but a head shot with the 30-06 would be much less severe (dead but less messy).

Any comments to help me with a valid explanation for this ?

By the way, this was the first time I tried putting some holes on paper with the carbine. From a rest I could put 15 rounds into pretty much of a 3 inch circle at 50 yards. I'm impressed by that little gun.

The 30-06 in my Eddystone put most of them nearly touching. It's always been my best shooter.

dwarven1 said:
Were you using Pumpkin Killer bullets? (JPK?) in the carbine? [lol]

Funny you asked. I used Semi jacketed HP and FMJ. The SJHP would hang up on the jacket and not feed about half the time. The FMJ was flawless. I don't think the punkins knew the difference though. :)

I thought the higher speed 06 would affect the hydraulic action more and be more violent than it proved to be.

A friend of mine protects the free world from evil-doing tin cans filled with newspaper. While he's found that most pistol rounds will kill them dead and send them flying, rifle rounds pass clean through without moving them at all. Go figure.

Pilgrim,
sounds like we are like minded.
I have a .30 M1 of early Inland manufacture, as well as a 1917
which is a Dec. 1918 Eddy; still with the original barrel in exc.
condition. Very accurate rifle !
Unfortunately we're prohibited from having such fun by the
rigid firearms laws over here - almost like MA.

Bullet design and speed. A bullet does its most damage when it's able to transfer all of its kinetic energy into mass. In this case, the slower and flatter round of the .30 Carbine transferred more energy into the soft medium. The '06 transferred nearly none due to its speed and design.

Also;

Pumpkins are not a comparison to anything except other pumpkins of similar weight and mass, and, "hydraulic action" has little effect.

The more the mass, the more energy transferred. You only shot 'pieces' of the pumpkin with the '06. Hydraulics has very little to do with damage to the human body.

Back
Top Bottom