Poison Ivy

So the question is how to kill it? The old lady next door used to sow the ground with rock salt and motor oil. Dead zone. Besides this and having goats eat it-any other ideas?

So the question is how to kill it? The old lady next door used to sow the ground with rock salt and motor oil. Dead zone. Besides this and having goats eat it-any other ideas?
I just use Roundup. It usually takes 2 doses a week apart.

If you think it comes back year after year, it doesn't. Birds eat the berries and spread the seeds in their poop. Every spring I go around my yard perimeter killing what little new stuff appeared. I usually do it again in late summer.

Artie have you tried IVYDRY? I don't get it, but the tree guy who does work for me swears by it when his guys get it. I think he said it was over the counter too.http://www.ivydry.com/
I haven't tried IVYDRY, the only thing I have been doing is daily oatmeal baths and IVAREST. This has to be more than PI, I have frigging blisters, not a rash. I have more welts today than yesterday. I hate to be a puss but if by tomorrow there is more spreading, I will go to doctors for some steroids. This is ridiculous. Crazy thing is that it doesn't itch much.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I haven't tried IVYDRY, the only thing I have been doing is daily oatmeal baths and IVAREST. This has to be more than PI, I have frigging blisters, not a rash. I have more welts today than yesterday. I hate to be a puss but if by tomorrow there is more spreading, I will go to doctors for some steroids. This is ridiculous. Crazy thing is that it doesn't itch much.

Could be you're getting more allergic. Mine never itches but blisters and bubbles for like 2 weeks. I've gotten much better about washing after i work in the yard though, any oil-cutting soap works much better than regular soap.

I wimped out and saw my doc. 12 days of prednisone. She said I should have come sooner.

Not a wimp if you get a secondary infection or it spreads into your eyes!

I pretty much lived on the dose packs every summer as a kid - have had PI pretty much everywhere except my eyes (yes that means butt crack and jewels) so I completely understand wanting it to end.

This doesn't prevent the rash, but will give fast relief. There is a plant called sweet fern. It grows just about everywhere, but especially in sandy soil. If youve been outside in New England youve seen it. Throw a handful of leaves in some water and brew it like tea. Take a washcloth soaked with the hot tea and scrub the rash. It will stop itching almost immediately and the rash will be gone in less than a week.
I've been bothered with PI every summer since I was a kid and I've used everything under the sun. Other than prednisone nothing works as well for me

Last edited:
Corticosteroid pills just like prednisone can reduce the symptoms caused by a strong reaction to poison ivy.

I just got poison ivy for the first time. I thought I had two bug bites on the back of my neck. Then it got to 4, 8, 12 and so on. After the third day my wife said, "I think you have poison ivy".

Sure as shit I did. We had a half a bottle left over of Zanfel so I tried it. It gave me instant relief. I then went online and purchased a 38oz tub of mean green cleaner. That also worked....

Full disclosure: I was basically playing in the shit. Because I knew I never got it, it wasn't important for me to protect myself. Shorts, t-shirt ECT.

Got it on my neck because the gloves I was wearing and I kept cracking my neck with my hand with gloves on.... I'm shocked I didn't get it anywhere else.

It lasted 5 or so days....

This doesn't prevent the rash, but will give fast relief. There is a plant called sweet fern. It grows just about everywhere, but especially in sandy soil. If youve been outside in New England youve seen it. Throw a handful of leaves in some water and brew it like tea. Take a washcloth soaked with the hot tea and scrub the rash. It will stop itching almost immediately and the rash will be gone in less than a week.
I've been bothered with PI every summer since I was a kid and I've used everything under the sun. Other than prednisone nothing works as well for me

Good to know. We have sweet fern in the yard but I have always used jewelweed sap which works really well for me. Better than anything I've bought OTC. If I get it this year I will try the sweet fern too.

Agreed!

Zanfel is by far the BEST stuff we've used to get rid of it. It takes about 3 treatments for me. My yard has tons of PI. Even using Technu to wash up after doing work in the woods I usually end up getting it a few times a season. Walmart usually has the lowest prices around at $35 / 1 oz. Expensive as hell but worth every damn penny.

https://www.zanfel.com/help

The farm guys near me said the best time to kill it with poison is in the Fall. You need warm sunny days for it to absorb and cool nights for the roots to really suck it down.

I eradicated the poison ivy that was growing around my fence line. A vinegar (1 gallon)/salt (1 cup) solution with a small amount of dish washing liquid in a spray bottle wiped it out and it hasn't grown back.

Back
Top Bottom