Police say shooter motivated by hate

Self-hate. It is, sometimes, how people behave when they don't feel good about themselves - bringing pain to others. A control behavior when they don't feel in control.

There is only one very small positive outcome of this, and yes, I agree, it wasn't worth the innocent lives that were lost but here it is.

The man had 73 rounds of ammo and got off only 3 before he was subdued by regular folks who realized that they had power and exercised it. In Israel people are familiar with the idea of terrorist attacks. When an individual pulls out a weapon and starts shooting, it's only seconds before a civilian (generally) pulls their weapon and starts shooting back. They don't have Columbine or VA Tech situations when dozens of people are killed by gunfire because they are not a passive people. They meet violence head on and as a result they are able to limit the damage. In this country we are just starting to understand how to deal with psychotic armed individuals. But this event and the last church shooting have shown that people (in this country) are now starting to understand that when someone pulls out a gun in church, he intends to kill you and everyone else so you might as well try to tackle him and/or shoot him immediately. We, as a people, are starting to wake up. We are starting to realize that people are capable of terrible things and that we are empowered to stop them.

Now, I don't think that living with the kind of violence that Israelis deal with daily is the paragon of civilization, but the Israelis are nothing if not realistic. We would do well to emulate their preparedness.

While we wring our hands over whether or not a jury will convict us because we used hand loads instead of commercial ammo, they worry over whether or not they shot the criminal/terrorist enough and therefore routinely administer the coup de grace. Can you imagine what you'd go through in this country if, after wounding a bad guy who had just shot another individual, you walked over and shot the BG a few times in the head to be sure? Christ, they'd probably put you in jail.

Perhaps we are finally moving past a state of universal complacency. In a nutshell, what I am saying is that while these events keep happening, the number of victims is growing smaller and the response time by normal citizens is growing shorter.

Now, I don't think that living with the kind of violence that Israelis deal with daily is the paragon of civilization, but the Israelis are nothing if not realistic. We would do well to emulate their preparedness.

The only thing that will stop violence is the threat of violence. In Israel 99% of all the attacks are suicide attacks, because the people realize "if I attack these people, I am going to be killed."

I think we need more of that mentality over here. How many attackers would think twice if they knew when they attack someone it's not only possible, but likely, that they will be shot? And if they aren't shot, it's likely, that they are going to get the needle...

There is only one very small positive outcome of this, and yes, I agree, it wasn't worth the innocent lives that were lost but here it is.

The man had 73 rounds of ammo and got off only 3 before he was subdued by regular folks who realized that they had power and exercised it. In Israel people are familiar with the idea of terrorist attacks. When an individual pulls out a weapon and starts shooting, it's only seconds before a civilian (generally) pulls their weapon and starts shooting back. They don't have Columbine or VA Tech situations when dozens of people are killed by gunfire because they are not a passive people. They meet violence head on and as a result they are able to limit the damage. In this country we are just starting to understand how to deal with psychotic armed individuals. But this event and the last church shooting have shown that people (in this country) are now starting to understand that when someone pulls out a gun in church, he intends to kill you and everyone else so you might as well try to tackle him and/or shoot him immediately. We, as a people, are starting to wake up. We are starting to realize that people are capable of terrible things and that we are empowered to stop them.

While we wring our hands over whether or not a jury will convict us because we used hand loads instead of commercial ammo, they worry over whether or not they shot the criminal/terrorist enough and therefore routinely administer the coup de grace. Can you imagine what you'd go through in this country if, after wounding a bad guy who had just shot another individual, you walked over and shot the BG a few times in the head to be sure? Christ, they'd probably put you in jail.

Perhaps we are finally moving past a state of universal complacency. In a nutshell, what I am saying is that while these events keep happening, the number of victims is growing smaller and the response time by normal citizens is growing shorter.

QFFT!!!!

Rep +

The only thing that will stop violence is the threat of violence. In Israel 99% of all the attacks are suicide attacks, because the people realize "if I attack these people, I am going to be killed."

I think we need more of that mentality over here. How many attackers would think twice if they knew when they attack someone it's not only possible, but likely, that they will be shot? And if they aren't shot, it's likely, that they are going to get the needle...

I agree with this 100%. I dont want to get into a debate with the Death Penalty here as I am sure there are some that oppose it but I however think the same mentality applies with the DP. If people think they are going to get the chair for a violent crime, rape etc, they may think twice before doing it..... maybe not all of them but certainly some. But our country is so dead set against this thinking and the liberals always want to rehabilitate these people and go easy on them that the criminals know they are getting off easy. So I ask this question... with this type of Justice system, where is the incentive for the criminal not to commit the crime? No where.....

Gee, and I thought shootings were motivated by love and daisies. [thinking]

And cute puppies.

I too, am "glad" (as much as the term can apply to an event like this) that people are finally starting to stand up! This, and one of the other last church shootings where parishioners stopped the shooter are 'good' (again, as much as the term can apply here) signs.

Back
Top Bottom