Political Correctness Raises it's Ugly Head

JimConway

Instructor
Political Correctness (PC) has Raised it's Ugly Head, in firearms training.
We have taught and been taught that a convenient way to carry a
long gun while armed with a handgun is African Carry.
African Carry means that the long gun is carried with the muzzle
down on the support side shoulder. To the best of my knowledge
this technique, oddly enough, originated in Africa over 50 years ago

As an aside, American Carry means carrying the long gun on
the strong side with the muzzle up. I am sure that you can see
the problem with this method.

Over the past month I have heard, but not confirmed, that the
African Carry method is still being taught at a number of
major training schools but being call something else. It is my
understanding that the new name is being used to be more PC.
I do not know the new name, but I think it is something like
"Support Side Muzzle Down Carry"

After Obama held his health care reform rally in Portsmouth, NH,
my wife wrote a letter to the editor that described the individual at the rally that was carrying both a long gun and a hand gun. She correctly used the phrase "African Corry" to describe how the long gun was carried. While the letter was printed, the editor removed the words "African Carry" from her letter.

The reason that the editor gave for the change was that the offensive words were not PC
This is flaming stupid, when you consider that the word "African' refers to a location, or rather a continent. Ther is nothing either racial or demeaning in these two words

I'm reminded of the end of Orwell's 1984, in which the imposed language (I think it's called doublespeak, if I remember correctly) has so "streamlined" (dumbed down) thought and dialectic that a comprehensive translation of the Declaration of Independence was one word long: crimespeak.

So, when I see people shooting weak hand with the gun turned so they can align the sights with their doninant eye, i should stop calling it Ghetto grip??

Jim, don't tell the editors: White people exist in Africa too!

There was a news item a while ago about a scholarship committee that learned this the hard way when a white of South African descent was the successful applicant for funding targeted at "African Americans".

Does this mean 'African Americans' are now just 'Americans'?

On the contrary. In this age of multiculturalism, even Nelson Mandela has been tagged as "the first African-American President of South Africa". Funny article in this month's National Review on the subject.

Some people are just afraid to say "black" or even, evidently, "African".

I'LL give you one better.

ever work with hydraulics in cars, as in clutches?

You have a clutch master (cylinder) and on the transmission there is a SLAVE (cylinder)

Guess what they want to do away with in the mechanics dictionary

If I was teaching a class and someone objected to this I'd laugh in their face and tell them to pound sand. They can feel free to flounce out of the class (I'm keeping their money) if they want.

I charge for my classes and as a private person/company have a right to be as much of an a**h*** as I wish to. I won't put up with PC stupidity and anyone who does absent threats to their employment deserves no sympathy.

For what it's worth, in the Marines in the mid to late 90's we called the carries that you describe "Weak Side Muzzle Down" or "Strong Side Muzzle Up." I never heard them called African or American carries. (Or African-American carries for that matter.)

Well, that explains why I have always called it the Mozambique method, and someone I was conversing with called it a Failure Drill....he was 10 years younger than me, and apparently the PC goons got to his training!

Back
Top Bottom