head shots

Head shots are always good. Back in the day it was called the "Mozambique Double-Tap". Now I think they call it the "Mozambique Drill".

Do they still teach something like that?

Mozambique, as far as I know is a "failure drill"; eg, two to the chest, followed
by one to the head. The idea being that if the first two don't work, the third
shot probably will. I think the term was coined by the late Col. Cooper.

-Mike

head shot

You should be conscious of who is around and where you practice. I believe there is now a law in Mass. against shooting at any human form of any kind! Even police snipers have to use bowling pin type practice targets! I wonder if we could get a news paper to print us targets of most wanted terrorists to practice on. Maybe they could argue freedom of the press.

Head shots are a good method....period

In Combat "One Shot, One Kill"

In Hunting " A Clean Kill or a Clean Miss"

I have ALWAYS executed a head shot in hunting and I have NEVER had to track and animal yet, Never. I never had to come out of the woods after hours of following a blood trail, empty handed.
I never have ruined good meat either, by blowing the chest away. There is more pluses to Head Shots.

IT is ILLEGAL in Mass to shoot at Human Shaped Targets? WoW! Is the military allowed to on their Ranges? That sound like Paranoia. I guess I could accomplish the same thing with a Bowling Pin Target, I wouldn't be surprised they will make that Illegal too, becuase you are thinking Human when you shoot it..... Smile

You should be conscious of who is around and where you practice. I believe there is now a law in Mass. against shooting at any human form of any kind! Even police snipers have to use bowling pin type practice targets! I wonder if we could get a news paper to print us targets of most wanted terrorists to practice on. Maybe they could argue freedom of the press.
The ONLY time "human" type targets are prohibited in Massachusetts is when used at a club or facility that has been issued a Class A LTC.
You can use them as long as you're not shooting at a club with an A and the police can anytime.

Excerpted MGL Chp 140 s 131:
The colonel of state police may, after an investigation, grant a Class A license to a club or facility with an on-site shooting range or gallery, which club is incorporated under the laws of the commonwealth for the possession, storage and use of large capacity weapons, ammunition therefor and large capacity feeding devices for use with such weapons on the premises of such club; provided, however, that not less than one shareholder of such club shall be qualified and suitable to be issued such license; and provided further, that such large capacity weapons and ammunition feeding devices may be used under such Class A club license only by such members that possess a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B or a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or by such other persons that the club permits while under the direct supervision of a certified firearms safety instructor or club member who, in the case of a large capacity firearm, possesses a valid Class A license to carry firearms or, in the case of a large capacity rifle or shotgun, possesses a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms. Such club shall not permit shooting at targets that depict human figures, human effigies, human silhouettes or any human images thereof, except by public safety personnel performing in line with their official duties.
Full text of law:
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131.htm

Mozambique, as far as I know is a "failure drill"; eg, two to the chest, followed by one to the head. The idea being that if the first two don't work, the third shot probably will. I think the term was coined by the late Col. Cooper.
-Mike

I read the term and training came from the Colonel's training based on the experience of one of his students. [thinking]

I don't condsider it a "failure drill", but doting the "i". But that's just me.

IIRC, when that nut case went after his wife and child just outside a courthouse in Texas, an armed civilian went after him with his .45. (against a semi auto battle rifle!) Got the goblin dead center in the chest twice... and then got shot in the head. The goblin was wearing body armor... [thinking]

sounds like a Real Good Reason to practice the Mozambique drill to me!

Mozambique drill

The Mozambique drill when Cooper developed it was the state of the art but now it is considered to be somewhat flawed. The first problem is training yourself to only fire 2 shote to the COM. The second and more serious problem is bringing the gun to the ready and assessing whether a head shot is necessary. The problem is the time that it takes to go to the ready, make a decision, and the to take the head shot. A better way to do this drill is to take a number of shots (2 to 5) to the COM and then transition to the head. If the head is still there take the shot(s).

Just my opinion

In the situation that Cooper developed the Mozambique drill from, the shooter tried for a head shot and missed. Luckily, his head shot hit the BG in the neck and hit his spine, ending the affair.

The Mozambique drill when Cooper developed it was the state of the art but now it is considered to be somewhat flawed. The first problem is training yourself to only fire 2 shote to the COM. The second and more serious problem is bringing the gun to the ready and assessing whether a head shot is necessary. The problem is the time that it takes to go to the ready, make a decision, and the to take the head shot.
I agree.

A better way to do this drill is to take a number of shots (2 to 5) to the COM and then transition to the head. If the head is still there take the shot(s).
Exactly. This was how I was trained, back in the day. I see that isn't the case these days. [thinking]

I read the term and training came from the Colonel's training based on the experience of one of his students. [thinking]

I don't condsider it a "failure drill", but doting the "i". But that's just me.

I'm guessing you understood the context in which I made that
statement... eg, "failure" as in, wanting to preemptively remedy the
possibility that a handgun would fail to stop an assailant. It's like "Tap
Rack Bang" but more proactive. Because handguns are not "instant
death rays" we should assume that there is a good chance that even
COM hits may not result in a sure stop. (Headshots aren't a guarantee
either, but the probability sure goes way up. )

I did not mean to imply that it's something that should be used only
after the failure actually occurs. [grin]

-Mike

I'm guessing you understood the context in which I made that statement... eg, "failure" as in, wanting to preemptively remedy the possibility that a handgun would fail to stop an assailant. It's like "Tap
Rack Bang" but more proactive. Because handguns are not "instant
death rays" we should assume that there is a good chance that even
COM hits may not result in a sure stop. (Headshots aren't a guarantee
either, but the probability sure goes way up. )

I did not mean to imply that it's something that should be used only
after the failure actually occurs. [grin]

-Mike

Yep, I got that. [smile] It was the word "failure", and I know what you meant, but I guess its that "half full/half empty" thing.

We're on the same page.

Coment by Lens

Len
You of all people are supposed to be nice.
Jaxon and I have got things figured out. Grasshopper, all that you have to do sit, listen, and learn.

Back
Top Bottom