Post-Election Licensee's - Lets post some answers

Hiltonizer

Banned
There has been a lot of discussion on this board lately regarding the demand rush on the guns and ammo market. It has also been pointed out that there is an extreme surge in gun license applications. I also think NES has seen a significant spike in membership.

I'd like to more or less get a feel as to, what has finally motivated us newbies to join the ranks en masse?

I took the safety course in October, finally turned in the app late November, received my license in early January. I've always had a general interest in firearms ownership, just never did anything about it.

Here were my reasons for getting off my ass.

- Primarily, there was an incident in September where someone was knocking and banging on my door at 3am, violently. I checked out the windows, whoever it was either ran or hid under the overhang. I called the police, and they were "busy on the other side of town". The dispatcher told me "we'll see if a neighboring town will send a cruiser". I never want to feel that defenseless again. This, in a very safe and calm town, with a police force that is typically top notch.

- I wasn't afraid of Obama getting in, or a democrat congress, it was the government in general. The looming economic collapse, and the history of civil unrest in those situations played a part.

- Having a general interest in guns anyway, a trip to Manchester for my bachelor party helped me and 2 other friends get motivated to go to a course within weeks.

So, to help put some personalized reasoning behind the increase in gun ownership... what motivated you other newbies out there?

i am in the same boat where i have always been interested in guns, shot when i was a kid and haven't continued to but really missed it. finally years later, i settle down in MA long enough where residency is no longer an issue, a few friends are avid shooters and really encouraged me to get my class-a. the motivation factor slightly was not so much the state of politics but the gossip of the town of where gun laws were heading, figured now or never and researched what i needed to do, 35 days after appplication submission class-A ALP.

I got my brother and I our pistol safety course as an xmas gift in 2007. I did it on a whim. Couldn't think of anything to get him.

He had always played with airsoft and such. He had never took an interest in real guns.

In fact he asked me why would he want a real gun and that he was satisfied with what he had. He actually wasn't sure if he wanted to take the course.

Both of us compete in action shooting events. Both of us have a small collection and both of us have realized the importance of being armed, being able to defend ourselves and supporting our rights to do so.

It has given me new insight into politics, government, independence, freedom, and nonsense legislation.

And also made me realize that MA is actually quite a shithole and I want to move to NH.

I got my license last month, and joined NES around the same time. Obama had nothing to do with it. I've been interested in shooting for a little while now, and the economic situation was a bit of a motivating factor. I would have gotten it earlier, but I was either under 21 or living on a college campus (or planning to live on a college campus again). I took the class in October or so, and finally turned in my application in February.

I haven't had any sketchy experiences (or no more than normal) and my house is pretty secure even without guns.

So basically, the timing for me is just coincidence.

I took the NRA safety course 5 years ago with a couple of friends on a whim because I felt silly that I was 30 years old and have never fired a gun. That very weekend I took the course and got the certificate the Class-A licencse fee went from $25 to $100 and I just could not come up with the extra $75 for what ever reason(I forget) About 2 months ago my friend aquired about 6 handguns from his mothers house that were his father's who died a few years ago and he got his Class-A. Thats when it started for me.

Chris

i wanted to get my license for a long time but only started getting serious about it after a few incidents in the neighborhood that i live in. if people want to get drunk and cause problems in their own homes i don't care... but when it's spilling out into the streets that's unacceptable. the last thing i need is some a**h*** looking to pick a fight with his wife and running into my family instead... or because he was too drunk to know my house isn't his house.

finally the results of the election really lit a fire under my ass and i wanted to excercise my rights while i had the opportunity to do so.

I took the course in 94 but neve got my liscence. I own a small business, and the thought of the government taking this right away got me off my butt in novermber the friday after the election. I found out after a couple weeks of the pd sitting on my app that the 94 course was nfg. Took another course was told "I have never been this busy", and submitted the app first week of december. Got the call for finger prints second week of January, had the ltc a with restrictions one week later. Was told to come back in a few months to have the restrictions removed. The experience has left me very glad that I did it, and has also left me with less money in the bank. Oh well.

I attended Women On Target in July of 2007 and started the process of applying for my license, but I dropped the ball. Then I went to the election night party and spoke with a gentleman who is in law enforcement and he told me to get off my duff and do it. So I started the process again, and needed to get all new letters from 2 of my references since the COP had changed in the meantime.
I kept popping in here to check on local gun stores, and that's when I found Scouter-Ricks Basic Pistol class, so a friend and I signed up for it.
The day after the class, I applied for my LTC. Picked it up 18 days later.
Still looking to buy my first gun - pissed that I am currently unable to pick up a 22a now that doesn't have the wood grips and bull barrel.

Voting in this state means nothing if your not a Dem. ( not that Rep. has had very good choices either ) Getting licensed was always something I wanted to do, just never a priority. Then 2 things happened. 1. A person was elected Pres. who seems more interested in taking away the rights of tax paying, law abiding citizens and giving rights to criminals and free loaders 2. a little ice storm showed me just a few things people would resort to in a "crisis" situation I was threatened as I walk out of the store with some propane, witnessed a fight over a generator and a chainsaw, and every house on a family members street was broken into an vandalized and robbed. So, since my vote doesn't count, my rights will/could be taken, and I am no longer disillusioned about what "might" happen if there was ever a real "crisis" I now have a Mass LTC class A with "no restrictions" and a NH CCW permit on the way.

It has given me new insight into politics, government, independence, freedom, and nonsense legislation.

And also made me realize that MA is actually quite a shithole and I want to move to NH.

what Underwhere said...

for me, I've been playing with guns since being a "lifer" in the Army and National Guard. My former unit was a good one, light infantry, lots of field and trigger time (even as a medic).

when I moved back to MA, I realized how f***ed up our laws are and how three gangbanger ex-con's can turn a street into a war zone.

so i took the plunge and got me and the girlfriend (at the time) the safety course and got hooked.

i never thought i would like it this much. i figured i'd go once every other month or so and shoot my first pistol (Glock 22, 2nd Gen) and maybe plink with a .22.

boy, was I wrong... [hmmm]

ooops: EDIT - i got mine way before the election, sorry. but i have bought stuff before and after.

Our licenses came about a week after the election, but the timing of them was pure chance. We'd been talking about starting/returning to shooting for years, but finances and time never seemed to line up until last summer. We knew it'd be expensive, and we wouldn't be happy having to go at things halfassed because of lack of time or money.

My first day out I was hooked, and we attempted to start the licensing process right away. Sadly (and typically) it took 2.5 months from deciding to start the process to actually having our licenses in hand. (Find the class, take the class, apply for the license, wait around, receive the license.)

Last edited:
Started the application process in '07. Took the course right at the end of the year and (in typical fashion for me) ended up taking until the end of November '08 to apply for the license. Received in just after Christmas this year, but due to a new house requiring repairs, I have only just been able to purchase my first gun.

The election was not much of a factor in pushing me to finally go in and get the license, but I've got little hope that the choices available for purchase will stay the same or increase.

Back
Top Bottom