Practicing Drawing from an OWB Holster

Rocky Mosasaurus

NES Member
Migrated from another thread:

What do you guys think is a good draw from an OWB holster and shoot time?
[I heard 1.5-2 sec is average].

I’m slightly sub-2.5 seconds with 0.4 sec splits using the Pocket Pro II on a one sec delay second beep and looking for advice how to shave more time off.

Is the standard to have your hands by your sides or can you have a hand directly on your sidearm when training the draw? What are the best techniques to train speed and shave more time off your draw? What splits do you look for transitioning from different targets etc?

Good video on the draw. The split is more a function of the distance to the target than just pulling the trigger I'd say. A target at 2 yards away might get a .1 split but a target 20 yards away might be .6 sec.

View: https://youtu.be/IYoHSC-Dsv0?si=13jZRXJPbpxGc2d2

Last edited:
Is the standard to have your hands by your sides or can you have a hand directly on your sidearm when training the draw?
I want to address this point first, yes hands relaxed by our sides is the standard. (a bit more on this later) Hands up like a surrender is also common. Nobody talks about draw times where you start with a hand on the firearm. That would be like talking 1/4 mile drag race times but one guy says he starts from a roll.
Sub 2 is respectable, an honest and consistent 1.5 is above average.
There are a lot of variables here, like what kind of holster? It could be anything from a gamer race holster to a level 3 duty holster. There will be some difference in those times.
What is the difficulty of the target? And is this a one-shot drill or are we recoding and tracking every shot of a 10 shot drill? Most people will have a faster one-shot than say their first shot of a longer drill. Personally I don't practice any one shot stuff, -you can get away with a lousy grip and still hook up an Instagram fast draw, while it takes a good grip to successfully complete a fast and accurate multi shot / multi target drill.

I’m slightly sub-2.5 seconds with 0.4 sec splits using the Pocket Pro II on a one sec delay second beep and looking for advice how to shave more time off.
dont know what you mean with the one sec delay second beep

What are the best techniques to train speed and shave more time off your draw?
break it down to several segments and practice doing each thing faster
1- listen and react to the beginning of the beep. Its .30 seconds long, you need to go instantly at the start of the sound, not wait for the beep to end.
2- Use your timer and at the beep move you hand quickly from relaxed at sides ( or surrender) to the gun. Just move and establish a grip, don't draw from the holster. Your support hand should move simultaneously to somewhere Infront of our belt buckle. focus on getting a good and consistent grip. set a par time and do reps. lower the par and do more reps.
3- start with a proper grip on the gun in the holster and support hand in front of the belt buckle, at the beep get the gun out and establish the support grip, that should happen just before the barrel/slide are horizontal and not yet up to eye level. stop there, don't even get the gun up to eye level or seeing sights. focus on support hand grip and pressure, consistency is key again. set a par for this and do reps, lower the par and do more.
4- start with 2 handed grip and the gun in front of you but below eye level. at beep move the gun to line of sight, aim and press trigger (we'll assume you can aim and press a trigger correctly) set a par for this and do reps, lower the par and do more.
5-put it all together and do some reps of the complete draw process
keep notes of the par times and do these for 15 minutes or so once or twice a day for a couple of weeks.
What splits do you look for transitioning from different targets etc?
split times are shots on the same target.
transition times are shots between different targets.
these will vary greatly depending on the difficulty of the targets. What targets are you using?

Migrated from another thread:

Is the standard to have your hands by your sides or can you have a hand directly on your sidearm when training the draw? What are the best techniques to train speed and shave more time off your draw? What splits do you look for transitioning from different targets etc?

Are you over confirming your target? Dry fire and move at an uncomfortably fast speed. Get used to moving fast.

Back
Top Bottom