"pre-ban" pistol question

Yesterday I picked up a Beretta 92F at a local gun store, It was labeled as "pre-ban". What is the date threshold for a "pre-ban" pistol? does this mean I could legitimately throw a threaded barrel in it? Other than the fact that it came w/ high-caps, what is the difference between pre and post ban in pistols? (only have ever really heard the terminology applied to long arms).

I believe September 13, 1994 is the Ban Date. You can have mags with over 10 rounds (as long as the mags are made before 94). I am not sure but I think you can have a threaded barrel but no silencer or flash suppressor. I think I got it correct but I am sure a few other guys on this forum can give you more info and correct me if I am wrong.

Suppressors are no go in MA. Threaded barrel is ok as long as you don't have any other evil features. Look in the laws section.

The AWB isn't worth worrying about on handguns that weigh less than 50 ounces, that have the magazine in the grip frame. For example, if I have an MK23, it's legal for me to have a threaded barrel and a flash suppressor on it... because I still haven't used up enough evil features to trigger the ban.

-Mike

Many in MA mistakingly advertise pistols as "pre-ban". The only "pre-ban" pistols that really exist in MA are those that would fall under the AWB. Which for most basically means they have to weigh over 50oz and have a magazine outside the grip frame. This means no post-ban AR-15 pistols, AK pistols, MP5 pistols or clones, etc. Any that would qualify need to be made before the federal AWB date in order to qualify as preban.

What many refer to here (incorrectly) as a pre-ban pistol is really a pre-Massachusetts AG stupid laws handgun. There isn't and never has been a ban on them but a MA FFL cannot transfer one to a civilian due to the AG's regs but they are available for private transfer. They should really be advertised as non-Mass compliant rather than pre-ban.

Back
Top Bottom