Preferred 9mm HP ammo?

For a Beretta 92.

I Have used Speer GD before, but interested to hear about other brands/experiences

Speer 124 and 124+P GDHP is an excellent load.

I'd also look at Fed Tactical 124s, good bullet design.

The Win ranger 127 gr +P+ load is also a good load. Don't be scared by the "+P+" thing; it's only marginally higher than +P, which for 9mm is pretty
conservative. Any modern pistol can eat the stuff all day without issue.

Stay the heck away from anything less than 124 grain, though. Usually the 115 grain defensive loadings are lackluster in the penetration department and don't test very well.

-Mike

I've actually had good luck with the Federal 115gr +P+ as far as functioning and testing it in practice. I have no real world experience except that Evan Marshal had it listed as one of the best 9mm rounds for one shot stops in his book that was published back in late 80s or early 90s. I also like the Speer GDHP 124gr +P.

-Cuz.

Without mentioning the fact that the words "9mm" and "preferred" do not belong in the same sentence (oops, I guess I mentioned it [grin])...

The Federal HST, from what I have seen, has some of the best gel expansion testing of any JHP out there.

Federal HST here. The testing I've seen looks really good. They're also relatively cheap (about 0.40 / round), so you can afford to reliability test it. I've shot about 200 rounds of it and it's been 100% reliable and scarily accurate.

I like the new Federal HST.

The Federal HST, from what I have seen, has some of the best gel expansion testing of any JHP out there.

Federal HST here. The testing I've seen looks really good. They're also relatively cheap (about 0.40 / round), so you can afford to reliability test it. I've shot about 200 rounds of it and it's been 100% reliable and scarily accurate.

+1

I've got Federal HST 147gr in both my G19 and G26.

Love the Gold Dots mentioned. Does Federal still make that truncated cone rounds where under the jacket there's a nylon ball that insures expansion? Have 4 cases of that stuff around here somewhere but can't seem to put my glasses on them right at this moment. Other than the 4 magazines I have loaded up right next to me with the S&W 5903 & 5906 ready set to go. Have the 125gr. +p version. They also made it in 105gr. but that's extremely light. Anyway, can't go wrong with the GDHP with a +p as it's engine.

Back
Top Bottom