Presidential motorcade - sorry if this is a dupe

It's pretty impressive that the state allows only the Blessed Few to have such powerful weapons. We Mundanes are surely incapable of using them.

Guns are bad. Guns are harmful to children and other living things. This President should renounce the use of them.

Embrace the Love.

there was a show on NatGeo or Discovery about these. i think it was called "Armored" or something to that effect. these are used by VIPs world-wide, not just the U.S. Govt.

there was a show on NatGeo or Discovery about these. i think it was called "Armored" or something to that effect. these are used by VIPs world-wide, not just the U.S. Govt.

Did they say anything about renting them out for bachelor parties?

Dillion featured the Areo in their catalogue (photos, not sales) two or three years ago. I haven't seen any specific information that they were being deployed in the President's motorcade.

The unit I found more interesting (have to see if I can find the article about it) was a 30mm chaingun (same unit used on the Apache) mounting into an armored Forester. The weapon was a remote pop-up controlled from the passenger's seat.
3000 rounds per minute of 7.62mm is one thing, but 600 rounds per minute of 30mm DU is a totally different ballgame.

Dillion featured the Areo in their catalogue (photos, not sales) two or three years ago. I haven't seen any specific information that they were being deployed in the President's motorcade.

The unit I found more interesting (have to see if I can find the article about it) was a 30mm chaingun (same unit used on the Apache) mounting into an armored Forester. The weapon was a remote pop-up controlled from the passenger's seat.
3000 rounds per minute of 7.62mm is one thing, but 600 rounds per minute of 30mm DU is a totally different ballgame.

interesting... have you been to south america recently? or europe?

Here's a nice writeup from Car and Driver (1995) of the older model called the SVI Raptor.

http://www.digitalplace.org/~mweber/personal/raptor/part1.htm
http://www.digitalplace.org/~mweber/personal/raptor/part2.htm

The Raptor is not armored, for two reasons. First, armor is heavy, so it affects both the Suburban's acceleration and its curb-hopping agility. Second, as Harrison explains, "If you're in an armored vehicle and the bad guys start shooting, you tend to duck inside rather than shoot back. Without armor, you have a strong inducement to extract the minigun and correct the situation. Makes you move quick.

Was looking up 30mm guns trying to look for the Forester design, and stumbled across the specs for the API ammunition used by the GAU-8A (A-10 7-barrel 30mm cannon)

a 15.0oz (6250 grain) projectile with a muzzle velocity of 3250fps. And it only generates 10,000 pounds of recoil force (roughly what each of its two engins can generate) AND when the gun is fired, the aircraft turns on ignitors in the engines to prevent flame-out if the weapon gasses get pulled into the turbine.

And this is his big brother. [smile]
Death-Race-Dreadnaught.jpg

It's pretty impressive that the state allows only the Blessed Few to have such powerful weapons. We Mundanes are surely incapable of [STRIKE]using[/STRIKE] affording them.

There fixed it for you...If you weren't aware there are transferable miniguns out there, but they are crazy expensive to buy and equally expensive to feed...but we most certainly can own/use them, hell we used to have 3 of them on the line at the Hanson Shoot and we weren't exactly a HUGE mg shoot...

Back
Top Bottom