• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Probably, the perfect flashlight

I carry a Fenix E18R as my EDC Light, can't recommend it enough, 750 Lumens on turbo with great throw and strobe mode, single cr123, fits in fifth pocket of my jeans, and has a handy clip to clip it on your hat like a headlamp, plus a magnet on the tail. It's really the perfect utility light with plenty of capability for serving as a light for self defense.

If you need a manual to use this flashlight you probably also have trouble remembering how to tie your shoes. That little 30 second video basically covered the
entire flashlight operation. [laugh]

"tie your shoes"? That's just so "corporate".

I wear flipflops. That way I don't have to remember how to tie my shoes.

What do you guys do that require carrying a flashlight everyday?

Back when I wasn't WFH full time, I literally would use my Fenix PD35 once or twice a day in IT, either using it under desks, using it to read serial numbers on things in dark areas, etc, etc, ad
nauseam. And at night when moving stuff in and out of my cars or trying to find stuff, having a flashlight around is invaluable.

Is it "required" not particularly. I could just use the shitty flashlight built into one of my phones, sure. But its a lot less convenient.

ETA: After it awhile it becomes like a pocket knife. You eventually miss not having it there. Like the holster that came with my PD35 broke and it sucks not having the
flashlight right there. (I just ordered another holster).

If you have a boring existence it might be less useful.

If you need a manual to use this flashlight you probably also have trouble remembering how to tie your shoes. That little 30 second video basically covered the
Think what you will.
when a video is created just so they can show you how to use the flashlights features I’d say it’s more complicated then need be.
IMO that is PART of the reason for the infomercial.
(Reminds me of the saying: it’s slices it dices it does Julian fries! )
sometimes I just want a flashlight not a do it all special.
Most of my lights are on and or off. Click switch for on click again for off.
It’s not that I can’t handle using more complicated things. It is just not my preferred interface when dealing with a utilitarian item.
Same reason I like my guns without a manual safety.

I’m a truck mechanic and normally work outside at night. I see my world one spot at a time with a flashlight beam. I also do most of my house chores at night since I’m a night owl. I process wood using a headlamp (cutting, splitting, stacking etc.)

I have an earlier version of that light. My son as well. Honestly I had trouble with the shape. I'm used to a flashlight having a round body. And I found the series of button presses to get shit done just a little much. Just a personal preference and I agree with all positive comments about Fenix.

Same. I have one hanging at front door, back door, and basement door, but I do not carry them.

Not sure it is a requirement, but I have a single AAA in my pocket, either a Fenix or an off brand I forget the name of. Handy as they have pocket clips that make them easy to attach to hat brim for hands free use. I have a red photon light on a chain around my neck and a Surefire G2Z 800 lumen single output. I do not want to use up the battery on my tactical light or have it come on in some other mode if I need it. So the AAA light gets used for most things. The one around my neck is in case I want to preserve night vision or just need to know where it is without searching. Comes in handy when you travel a lot as I often wake up in rooms with different layouts that I might only have seen for a minute before going to bed. Also for trips with the wife where I need a light to find something but do not want to wake her.

The older I get, the more I need extra light in many situations. I may not use it everyday, but my EDC flashlight gets used quite a bit. It's also surprising how often someone else needs some light to see something and are very happy when someone happens to have a light with them.

I have a number of flashlights. There's no consistency in the user experience. That's part of the problem.

I also find that designers do their best to minimize the number of buttons/dials/etc. The fewer controls the more complicated the user experience.

Here's the UI for a flashlight I use a fair bit... and this does not even begin to cover their "programming" mode.

1606839125186.png

Last edited:
Streamlight makes a good -prosumer ?- flashlight but what you get when you go to real pro quality lights is dramatically advanced

The Fenix PD 36R at less money than the larger Strion

5.4 x 1 x 1

Fenix

30 115hrs
150 26
350 8
800 5.49
1600 2.50

The Strion at 5.9 x ? x ?

80 9.5
175 4.75
375 2.5

I have had first hand experience with Streamlight/Surefire and Pelican cs/repair-it is impossible to improve on the level of service that I got and I cannot compare that to Fenix as I have had no need for repair. However on one occasion some years ago I emailed Fenix- China inquiring about warranty work, received a reply the following day from the person who administers all warranty claims, as I recall-the individual may have been a Corporate Officer, I think. At any rate what was proved to me is that Fenix is real serious about business and even more serious about how their products are perceived in the US.

Last edited:

Yesterday I used it to help my wife find an earring she'd dropped in the bedroom;
3/4 carat stud in carpet - the light helped.

Last week I used it to find one of those fcking detent springs that flew away while I was dcking around with a lower. Turned the garage lights off and swept the floor with the light until I found it.

Last month I used it when I was in the garage and tripped the breaker. Pitch black.

It's like my knife, it's always in my pocket. I don't need either of them often, but having them with me is awfully convenient.

I’m a truck mechanic and normally work outside at night. I see my world one spot at a time with a flashlight beam. I also do most of my house chores at night since I’m a night owl. I process wood using a headlamp (cutting, splitting, stacking etc.)
If you want to see more than just a spot at a time, you might want to look at this. Even light everywhere you can see, with no hot spots. You aren't going to light things up 100ft away, but in close it's impressive.
Amazon product ASIN B07GT49F9CView: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GT49F9C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you want to see more than just a spot at a time, you might want to look at this. Even light everywhere you can see, with no hot spots. You aren't going to light things up 100ft away, but in close it's impressive.
Amazon product ASIN B07GT49F9CView: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GT49F9C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thank you. Just purchased one. I’ll see how long it lasts. I use a coast headlamp at work I have 3 of them. They last about 6 months before I have to send one back for warranty.

I bought my daughters each one of these for Christmas during the black Friday sale. It was a bundle deal so they come with smaller lights which I'll use for edc. There were also two small freebee lights they threw in. I have a couple of other Olight models I have had good luck with.
Perun 2 | OlightStore
This is the type I'll use for EDC. Cheap enough so its no big deal if I lose it. i3T EOS Small Rechargeable LED Flashlight | OlightStore

Last edited:
As posted Fenix is a Chinese company which manufactures in the PRC. I will caution all to be highly suspect of any maker of flashlights which advertise that their products are -made- in the US when the correct and legal labeling most probably is 'assembled' in the US as no maker I am aware of of uses all parts necessary for operation of the light which have been sourced from the States.

What separates Fenix from most/all other brands is the commitment they made to providing both USA based service and parts availability in and out of warranty. I believe that Fenix Lighting is the national service center for the brand and there is at least one other entity which advertises authorized repairs and out of warranty service-Fenix-store.com . The only caution that all should be aware of is that these two service Companies openly state that only products which were intended for sale in the US can be accepted apparently as per agreement with Fenix which to me is proper and reasonable.

You sound pretty shill-y throughout this thread.

Just sent another note to Fenix CS to see what they can do for my dead HM50r. I bought it from their site in 2018 and submitted a warranty form on their site in 2019 but never heard back. It's USB rechargeable and at this point the only way the light goes on is if it's on a USB cord with no battery in it. It won't run with either a rechargeable cell in it or a fresh CR123A.

As stated buy Fenix lights from a reputable source. I purchased a PD35 TAC off ebay over the summer for $40, about 1/3 off regular. The packaging looked like the fine, but the light and the accessories weren't the same as a I got from Fenixlighting.com. The light is a little less robust and does not enter strobe mode correctly. So be it that there are Chinese cloning other Chinese products. ones on Ebay and Amazon are suspect.

My favorite is the Fenix LD30. a little smaller than the PD35 and the clip works on a hat.

I'm a fan of their PD20 (single cell CR123A). I think I have 3 of them. They throw enough light but they're still small enough that I can hold them in my mouth while I'm using my hands for whatever I'm doing.

Just sent another note to Fenix CS to see what they can do for my dead HM50r. I bought it from their site in 2018 and submitted a warranty form on their site in 2019 but never heard back. It's USB rechargeable and at this point the only way the light goes on is if it's on a USB cord with no battery in it. It won't run with either a rechargeable cell in it or a fresh CR123A.

you have been this route already correct?

concerning, hope that Fenix hasn't turned into the Subaru of the flashlight world.

Got to find out if I should change who I am shill-y with.

Back
Top Bottom