Professor Called Police After Student Presentation >>

I can see why this teacher thought she needed to be hyper-vigilant in reporting this student to the police. I also happen to think that how she reacted was out of line and completely unnecessary.

On one hand, given all the shootings that have happened in the not so distant past, teachers must be somewhat on edge and ultra sensitive to this issue. So its not like she deserves a complete lashing, she was doing what she thought was necessary to protect students, which I have no problem with. However, she was dead wrong for reporting the kid to the police based solely on the content of the student's presentation.

Perhaps a 1:1 meeting after class to further discuss the presentation would have been a better approach. This way the prof could have discerned for herself whether this kid was a threat (which of course he was/is not). Thats all it would have taken. Thirty minutes talking to the kid to figure out if he's another nut job looking to massacre everyone, or just open minded college kid exercising a couple constitutional rights. No cops, no hassle, no news story.

BTW what exactly is a "FREE GUN ZONE"??? Because if there is such a thing as a place where guns are free, I'd love to know about it!!

With respect, I too disagree. This represents the antithisis of what the college experience is supposed to be. This young man was making a presentation on a topical subject in response to an assignment. That he was questioned by the police for his views is inexcusable and were I his parents I would be suing the school for defamation of character, slander and malicious prosecution.

Wow, new answer to the "why do I need an assault rifle"...

You need 2A or you don't get to use 1A - nuff said...

Personally, I'd never respond to a "request for presence" without a lawyer and I'd be looking at (though knowing it might not go anywhere), filing a false police report charges against the prof...

Scary stuff indeed...

As I've said before: I have no problem with people who are afraid of guns. I only wish they seek professional medical and psychological help when dealing with their illogical phobia.

However, I have a big time problem when these psychologically retarded folk try to infringe on my Constitutionally guaranteed freedoms!

Well said

I respectfully disagree. Maybe the "teacher" is alarmed by the idea that people might use arms for defense. But I doubt it. She's read some books and magazines, and probably knows that this is a position held by some people and which is widely debated in both private and public settings.

It is more likely that this woman is a leftist who simply does not want the pro-carry side of the argument to have a hearing. Siccing the cops on the student will certainly send a clear message that certain forms of speech will not be tolerated. This reinforces an unofficial speech code found on most college campuses today, and ensures conformity of thought along leftist ideological lines.

And unless the woman is a trained psychologist, operating within the context of a doctor/patient therapy session, I very much doubt that the 30-minute tete-a-tete you recommend would be productive for either party. Even if she were licensed to practice therapy in this setting, it is unlikely, I think, that her view on the ownership and use of firearms would be altered in the least bit by such an exchange. These people are ideologically opposed to gun rights and will not be swayed by reasoned debate.

The only remedy to a situation like this is to:

a) seek legal redress under the the first amendment, or

b) mobilize, march, annoy, harass, interfere, picket, sit-in, burn stuff, get the bitch fired and blacklisted ... in short, raise such a stink that no liberal elitist will ever again dare to challenge RKBA. In other words, adopt the tactics of the left.

(or, failing all else, see post #28)

I don't believe that in this specific case, the woman (lets stop referring to her as a "teacher") was trying to silence the student, or infringe upon his rights. Lets cool the leftist conspiracy talk and look at this for what it really is. An ignorant person, afraid of the world, jumped to conclusions based on fear, and blew the whistle on her student. Keep in mind this was a class presentation on a controversial issue, not a public soapbox forum with a megaphone.

And I will respectfully disagree with your sentiment that "unless the woman is a trained psychologist, operating within the context of a doctor/patient therapy session" there can be no benefit from talking with the kid further about his ideas. You don't need to be a psychologist to figure out if someone needs to be locked up before they go on a killing spree. College professors meet with students ALL THE TIME outside of the traditional classroom. If you are the least bit observant you should be able to tell which kids are on drugs, which kids are hungover, and who might be the type to go on a killing spree after sociology class. So in my opinion, a good professor would have benefited from further discussing the kids ideas to get a sense of where his head is at before calling the cops and having him arrested as a potential threat. Thats all I'm saying, I'm not apologizing for this ladies actions. I just think there is more to it than simply calling her a leftist gun banner nazi. I never said she'd be swayed and suddenly help the kid lobby for Campus Carry.

Now I can't speak to this particular woman's abilities or beliefs on gun ownership and neither can you really. You are speculating that she is some leftist nut job who is anti 2nd amendment and anti guns. Maybe she's just woefully ignorant and shouldn't be in a place such as a college. Maybe she isn't as smart as you think she is. Maybe she just called the cops like a good sheep because she heard a student talking about a topic that frightens her. And yes, maybe she should be fired for her reaction to a students presentation on a very worthy topic for college students to be broaching.

Back
Top Bottom