• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

proper way to dispose of ammo?

i recently went to my moms house and picked up my shotguns and ammo. i was inspecting some of my ammo that i reloaded years ago and some of it doesnt look to good. i have one of the shells is deformed looks like got squished. and alot of them the shell is cracking around the crimp. any sugestions on what i should do with this ammo. i reloaded them a long time ago so not sure if still good or what the load is in them.

Drop 'em in the dud cans at the range.

And Friday, I'll come out to the range with my disassembly tools, take them apart, hand the powder off to Ed for the demonstration he does when the talks about the fact that smokeless powder actually burns, save the lead, and toss the casings into the recycle brass bucket.

I has a .22 jam that got petty beat and just tore the led off with a pair of plyers Is it safe to do that with a bigger round? Say 9mm or .40?

I have a question relating to this, I am NOT suggesting this as a proper disposal method. My LTC safety course instructor (LEO) told us to just soak the ammo in a bucket of water for a few days and then put it out with the trash. This was in response to another students question about how to get rid of "thousands of really old .22 rounds" that had belonged to his dead grandfather.

Thoughts on this? Aside from wanting to salvage the components, is this safe, legal. It seems to me that even if it were the former, it probably wouldn't be the latter.

Soaking in water is liable to do nothing at all. Do not trow them in the trash.

I have a question relating to this, I am NOT suggesting this as a proper disposal method. My LTC safety course instructor (LEO) told us to just soak the ammo in a bucket of water for a few days and then put it out with the trash. This was in response to another students question about how to get rid of "thousands of really old .22 rounds" that had belonged to his dead grandfather.

Thoughts on this? Aside from wanting to salvage the components, is this safe, legal. It seems to me that even if it were the former, it probably wouldn't be the latter.

I think you're supposed to soak it in oil, not water. And I'm not sold on the efficacy.

I think you're supposed to soak it in oil, not water. And I'm not sold on the efficacy.

I was always told to use oil. I have a 1 gallon plastic jug partly filled with used engine oil. Any bad rounds go into it. Every year or so I pour off the oil at a reclamation station for recycling. The container with the bad ammo gets capped and disposed of in the trash.

I don't know if this is the best way to handle it, so I'm open to suggestions.

Yeah, I would put anything I had to dispose of into the dud bucket at the range. I was just surprised by the water bucket/trash bucket recommendation. Seems like it would be illegal to put any type of "explosives" out with the trash regardless of what you soaked it in.

Back
Top Bottom