PTR 9C vs 9R in MA?

Wondering if yall have any opinions about the PTR 9C pistol vs 9R rifle for an MA resident who lives by the Mill? My understanding is:

9C pros
  • No barrel work needed if I SBR
  • Without SBRing, I could shoot with a pistol brace in NH with a compact barrel
9C cons
  • More expensive than the 9R
  • If I SBR, I'd have to buy a stock for MA

9R pros
  • Comes with a stock for MA
  • I can order to NH cheaper and without sales tax
9R cons
  • If I SBR, it could be hard to find a gun smith who could do the barrel chop correctly
Do any of yall have experience or opinions?

Last edited:
Great first post, you should go green. Ma resident or NH? And what area of the state are you in. Im sure there's a gunsmith around who can cut and crown the barrel. Dave Santurri is a phenomenal gunsmith located in N Attleboro Ma. There are guys at the Mill i’m sure that can help as well. But it depends on your location and i’m sure others will answer also. You can also get a new barrel and pin and have it swapped to the short barrel.

You're going to run afoul of the ma awb with the pistol unless it's under 50 ozs iirc or if it's a fixed mag, or if it's pre 94 ban.

Honestly ptr guns are trash. If you want a roller delayed 9mm pcc I suggest you go back to 1991. Otherwise if you want to join this century I suggest a 10.5" ar pistol in 300 blackout instead. Same size and weight as an mp5 but more than double the muzzle energy and better ballistics, plus mags aren't made of mitheryl and unobtanium.

Welcome to nes btw.

I think this has been said recently. But a roller MP5 style itch will not be scratched/satisfied by a AR SBR. It’s not about ballistics for most people it’s about the gun or nostalgia. I would opt for an SP5 or a SP89 and SBR it. Or even a new MKE one before I got a PTR9 though. As far as mags i just bought 5 preban 30 rounders on GB for $255 last week. I missed a two pack today for $75 because I asked the seller a question instead of hitting but it now buy they are out there just takes looking.

Last edited:
Great first post, you should go green. Ma resident or NH? And what area of the state are you in. Im sure there's a gunsmith around who can cut and crown the barrel. Dave Santurri is a phenomenal gunsmith located in N Attleboro Ma. There are guys at the Mill i’m sure that can help as well. But it depends on your location and i’m sure others will answer also. You can also get a new barrel and pin and have it swapped to the short barrel.
I live in MA not far from the Mill. I'll call around to see what the barrel cut would be like!

In MA the only legal way you can own the 9C (or the SP5 or the AP5 or...) is as a SBR with a fixed stock (A2 works great). The 9C has the advantage over the 9CT in that you don't need to pin/weld the thread protector. The other clones and the SP5 all have threaded barrels I believe.

If you do total analysis of getting to the end state of a SBR starting with a 9C and a 9R I think you will find that the 9C right about the same price and gives you a better outcome or costs significantly less for the same outcome. The 9R you have to either chop the barrel, thread, pin/weld trilug or send out and have a short barrel installed (hydraulic press required). The outcome of a 9C is better than a chopped barrel and a pinned/welded trilug adapter. The replacement barrel will run you more money.

Our customers here at the mill have done dozens of MP5/clone SBRs and the single most popular starting point is the 9C.

And as I have posted either from this account or my dealer account @Dean Safety we have a digital fingerprint machine and offer a service to help you complete your Form 1 paperwork which includes prints, pictures, engraving, etc. There are significant advantages to one of the FFLs in my room being lawyer owned. They can help you complete government forms even when the ATF does not want you to receive any help from a FFL (they act in their capacity as lawyer/paralegal). Interestingly enough any FFL helping with the completion of Form 1 paperwork is a) sideways with the ATFs terms of use for eForms account and conditions of their FFL and b) sideways with the MA bar association as the bar association considers it "practicing law" to help someone complete government forms. But I digress...

Last edited:
In MA the only legal way you can own the 9C (or the SP5 or the AP5 or...) is as a SBR with a fixed stock (A2 works great). The 9C has the advantage over the 9CT in that you don't need to pin/weld the thread protector. The other clones and the SP5 all have threaded barrels I believe.

If you do total analysis of getting to the end state of a SBR starting with a 9C and a 9R I think you will find that the 9C right about the same price and gives you a better outcome or costs significantly less for the same outcome. The 9R you have to either chop the barrel, thread, pin/weld trilug or send out and have a short barrel installed (hydraulic press required). The outcome of a 9C is better than a chopped barrel and a pinned/welded trilug adapter. The replacement barrel will run you more money.

Our customers here at the mill have done dozens of MP5/clone SBRs and the single most popular starting point is the 9C.

And as I have posted either from this account or my dealer account @Dean Safety we have a digital fingerprint machine and offer a service to help you complete your Form 1 paperwork which includes prints, pictures, engraving, etc. There are significant advantages to one of the FFLs in my room being lawyer owned. They can help you complete government forms even when the ATF does not want you to receive any help from a FFL (they act in their capacity as lawyer/paralegal). Interestingly enough any FFL helping with the completion of Form 1 paperwork is a) sideways with the ATFs terms of use for eForms account and conditions of their FFL and b) sideways with the MA bar association as the bar association considers it "practicing law" to help someone complete government forms. But I digress...
And this folks, is why Randy, Sam, and Henry take all my money.

I have a PTR9 pistol that I SBRed. It's was very easy to do, just swap out the end plate for the stock. I have had some issues with the PTR granted i have been usingit for a post sample trigger pack so it get more abuse then a semi auto one. The mags I got with the gun wouldn't stay latched in, there was a lot of slop from to back. I had to buy H&K mags for it, they are much tighter and stay latched in. I also had to replace the bolt carrier because they one I had was soft and mushroomed and I couldn't get the bolt head out. I have heard that it a problem with them and probably was exacerbated by all the full auto fire. If you could get a post ban MP5 pistol in MA without running afowl of the AWB could you put on a pistol brace or are those a no no in MA? Mine came with a folding pistol brace but I wanted the classic A2 look to the gun.
1000000828.jpg

If you could get a post ban MP5 pistol in MA without running afowl of the AWB could you put on a pistol brace or are those a no no in MA?
Yes you could, but I don’t know how you’d make one AWB compliant. Fixed mag? I’ve never seen that on an HK platform.

If you could get a post ban MP5 pistol in MA without running afowl of the AWB could you put on a pistol brace or are those a no no in MA? Mine came with a folding pistol brace but I wanted the classic A2 look to the gun.
You cannot and you cannot. The AWB in MA will always make the pistol variant an assault weapon. Even as a SBR you cannot put a pistol brace on it because that means it is no longer a SBR but a pistol and therefore an assault weapon.

If you really want a folder or other evil features, buy a SP89

You cannot and you cannot. The AWB in MA will always make the pistol variant an assault weapon. Even as a SBR you cannot put a pistol brace on it because that means it is no longer a SBR but a pistol and therefore an assault weapon.

If you really want a folder or other evil features, buy a SP89
That's what I thought but I haven't been in MA for 15 years and it's hard to keep up with there stupidity.

Back
Top Bottom