PTR 9R barrel swap

gruby254

NES Member
Just received my ATF approval for my MP5 clone. I've asked around and it seems no one has experience in swapping out the barrel on this firearm. I have the new barrel and barrel pin jig necessary for the swap. Has anyone had their MP5 clone rebarreled? I found a shop that would do it but they are in NH. What's the legality of having a shop in NH do the work if I am from MA?

Just received my ATF approval for my MP5 clone. I've asked around and it seems no one has experience in swapping out the barrel on this firearm. I have the new barrel and barrel pin jig necessary for the swap. Has anyone had their MP5 clone rebarreled? I found a shop that would do it but they are in NH. What's the legality of having a shop in NH do the work if I am from MA?

That's a weird one. Can't cross state lines with SBR without a "mother may I" permission slip. But it's a rifle until you actually do the barrel work. But then it's immediately an SBR once done. So did you "cross state lines" with an "SBR"? And if not, do you then in a permission slip to bring it back?

On an HK clone, the "upper" you speak of is the receiver and thus is the firearm.

Most members would call the smith and tell them they are driving up. Then they would pack the project carefully, securely and inconspicuously and drive carefully to and from the smith both before and after the work.

Hey, wondering if you have an update on this. I just bought a PTR 608 and am in the process of filing my form 1. I found a shop in MA that will cut my barrel and put a tri-lug adapter on it, but honestly, I think I would prefer to order a new barrel and have them replace it that way I still have both the tri-lug and threading without using an adapter. Will probably come down to cost for me but was hoping you may have found a solution to this?

Adding a trilug to a clone in MA seems like a waste but it's your gun.

Have you tried reaching out to GFA Armstec in Natick? He might be able to help.

Yes, it is a waste in MA, but I don't intend to live here forever. Hoping to move to NH or better yet out west in the next year or two. I was too impatient to wait until I move to buy the pistol version and SBR it so I went the rifle route. I have not heard of them - I will check them out. thank you!

I don't disagree, but there are trilug brakes out there. I personally don't believe it to be worth it if it doesn't already come on the gun, but it wouldn't be completely useless.

I don't disagree, but there are trilug brakes out there. I personally don't believe it to be worth it if it doesn't already come on the gun, but it wouldn't be completely useless.
I was considering getting one of these to give it a try until I eventually move and get a suppressor.

I was considering getting one of these to give it a try until I eventually move and get a suppressor.

They look pretty cool, but not exactly cheap for a hold-over purchase until suppression. My MP5 clone is like a laser already, so I'm not sure how much real world value I'd get from a brake on this platform. But I'll say it again, they do look cool. I'll be the first to admit that is low level motivator for me sometimes. I think the flash hider would be the better muzzle device hold over, but alas--MA.

I have multiple sbrs with Tri lugs attached. Easy to permanently install and are MA AWB friendly

I have multiple sbrs with Tri lugs attached. Easy to permanently install and are MA AWB friendly
How did you do it? and what shop did you go to? Did you start with a rifle and cut the barrel and put a tri-lug adapter on it? Or did you swap the barrel? I really want to maintain both the tri-lug and the threading in case i want to use either type of muzzle device. So I was thinking of ordering a 9 inch barrel and having a shop swap the barrel.

Back
Top Bottom