• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Punch broke off inside the bolt catch of my AR15. Help please

This is why you get an Aero Precision M4E1 lower receiver. Built in large trigger guard and threaded bolt catch, you just screw it in and out with an Allen wrench. No roll pins used at all! I'll never go back to regular lowers lol.

View attachment 302971

Looks like one more thing to strip out, come loose, or generally difficult to find a replacement for (non standard part for an AR). I like Aero's threaded design, but other than what we saw in this thread a roll pin is foolproof.

Well, that allen pin does look stronger than a shitty roll-pin, I'll give you that...
Do you use a little loctite on it?

Couldn't load the video. 13 year old PC has its limitations.

~Enbloc

Well, that allen pin does look stronger than a shitty roll-pin, I'll give you that...
Do you use a little loctite on it?

Couldn't load the video. 13 year old PC has its limitations.

~Enbloc
serious question: I dont have enough experience BUT how often do bolt catch roll pins fail ? seems like a very low stress part. Might take some creative ways to DIY but you can tap the hole and install the detent spring set screws too yourself.

I've not seen one fail in civvy life or while in military service. I guess if you some how got the bolt release caught on something with enough force you could damage the roll pin and also likely the receiver and bolt release itself. I generally would say damage is more likely to occur when installing an accessory like a lefty bolt release lever or oversize release lever.
Typically once assembled, they are good to go.

All kinds of upgrades out there...

7bp73o3357z01.png

Lol. They kinda look like little gas pedals...

Last edited:
I've not seen one fail in civvy life or while in military service. I guess if you some how got the bolt release caught on something with enough force you could damage the roll pin and also likely the receiver and bolt release itself. I generally would say damage is more likely to occur when installing an accessory like a lefty bolt release lever or oversize release lever.
Typically once assembled, they are good to go.

All kinds of upgrades out there...

7bp73o3357z01.png

Lol. They kinda look like little gas pedals...
Im a lefty and just use as is.

I can see the safety and takedown detent set screw retainer mod especially if you tend to swap out different grips and stocks

This is why you get an Aero Precision M4E1 lower receiver. Built in large trigger guard and threaded bolt catch, you just screw it in and out with an Allen wrench. No roll pins used at all! I'll never go back to regular lowers lol.

View attachment 302971

Looks like one more thing to strip out, come loose, or generally difficult to find a replacement for (non standard part for an AR). I like Aero's threaded design, but other than what we saw in this thread a roll pin is foolproof.

Congrats to the OP. As for the Aero, same thoughts. If you strip it out you're SOL. With roll pins, I have dozens, that were cheap and plentiful and easy enough to replace if you trash one (and I've trashed enough of them...). Just my .02

Congrats to the OP. As for the Aero, same thoughts. If you strip it out you're SOL. With roll pins, I have dozens, that were cheap and plentiful and easy enough to replace if you trash one (and I've trashed enough of them...). Just my .02

I've seen a bunch of buggered up lower receivers and never one stripped out threaded bolt catch. Maybe you've had a different experience tho

I also assume you are using a parrot vise ...
LTFY.

(Kewl).

Personally, I like the “character marks” you left on the receiver.
Ironically, that may not be from the botched roll pin removal,
but from the Magpul B.A.D. Lever®
that he attached to the stock bolt release.

Either from the installation process,
or possibly if the lever can be installed misaligned
so that it rubs the lower when operated.

Never beheld one, but...
Windham's how-to photos make it seem as if
the lever is suspended well away from the receiver.
Yet the lever's mating void may have some slop
that deserves careful alignment before cranking down on the screw.

After all, there are a zillion aftermarket bolt catches,
and maybe the Magpul lever is intended to mate with many of them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom