Q's about bringing pistol from MI to NH

I will soon be switching my legal residence from MI to NH, and I am looking for some advice on how to get my 228 out east with the least amount of hassle.

I do know about the federal interstate transport of firearms statute, and it seems that I would be fine regardless of the fact that NY and MA may have their own laws. However, what about my 15-round magazine? Is that covered under the same statute?

My other option would be to ship it... am I able to ship it directly to myself, or must I ship it to a FFL? If that's the case, anybody know of a good FFL to deal w/ in the Nashua area?

I do realize that I could drive from MI to NH with all of my stuff and nobody would be the wiser, but I like to err on the side of caution when it comes to stuff like this. :)

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Welcome to the gang Dan.

If you're driving out here, then you'll be fine as long as the gun is secured (locked in a case or with a trigger lock and packed away out of reach), and you have some type of proof that you're moving to NH (a deposit receipt showing the address, or if you've purchased a home, then the P&S or passed papers with the address).

As long as your driving to NH without any stops for lengthy periods of time in any unfriendly state, then you dont' have any worries.

If you're driving, make sure that you go the long way through Ohio and PA, rather than take the shorter route across Ontario. [wink] (I once slipped up and took the short cut, only to realize what what in the trunk somewhere around Hamilton. Luckily nobody else every found out, and the statute of limitations is long past.) [oops]

Ken

Thank you all for the responses

KMaurer said:
If you're driving, make sure that you go the long way through Ohio and PA, rather than take the shorter route across Ontario. [wink] (I once slipped up and took the short cut, only to realize what what in the trunk somewhere around Hamilton. Luckily nobody else every found out, and the statute of limitations is long past.) [oops]

Ken

Yeah, I thought about that a while ago :)... it's long enough of a drive as it is to go across Ont., I sure can't wait to go around the lake. :?

Lock the gun and mags in a case, put it in your trunk, and drive. As others have pointed out, stay out of Canada. You'll be fine.

You'll be quite legal according to federal law. That said, it is best not to attract the attention of the local gendarmes. So I recommend that you drive at a reasonable speed.

Drive safe.

Back
Top Bottom