• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Quabbin report - 5/18/08

Hi All, Just got back from Quabbin about 35 minutes ago, Gate 43. It was real slow today. Went to one of our Ol' stand by spots and caught some nice Smallies. Decided to head back to the ramp at about 3:45 and saw a guy doing the "Im In Distress signal" near the shoreline. Got over to his "Rental" boat and he was dead in the water, the motor was dead. His kids were shivering in the boat. As we started towing him back it started to rain real good, of course. We finally made it to the ramp about an hour later and dropped him and the kids off. Before we leave we usually fish one of the inlets and try to end the day with a wopper.......well today I was the lucky recipient of the Wopper. It was a male Landlock Salmon and it weighed 4 1/2 lbs and 25" long. I usually practice catch and release but this Landlock would not recover so I kept him. Once I finish this post I am going to fillet him and into the oven he is going. I am not an expert but I would say the first week or two of June and the fishing will be ten times better at Quabbin, water is still cold (53 degrees on the depth finder) and the fish are dispersed. Lets get a group fishing trip planned soon. Here is a link to the pics..........Enjoy! *The first 6 pics are from today. http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb273/c0m3d1an/

Great story and pics. Thanks!
The rain held off here until about 30 minutes ago and it's just sprinkling.

Just got finished eating that Salmon. It was so clean tasting. Just added a little pepper and season all, cooked at 375 for 30 minutes.
The weird thing is that it had nothing in its stomach. The salmon my friend caught last week was empty also. These fish are so healthy I just dont get it.
Any thoughts?

I am looking forward to the Quabbin trip in two weeks.

Last edited:
Not sure how true it is but I have hear from some of the locals that Quabbin has been unusually slow as far as people fishing? Not sure how that would effect them but I would assume you would have a better chance at healthy fish???

thanks for the great pictures. A nice salmon, and most of all the beauty of the scenery of the Quabbin, nature at its best.

Thanks guys. I still cant believe I landed him. At first I thought it was at least a 5lb smallie by the way he was fighting.
About 5 years ago I caught around 50 or more smallies on Quabbin in one spot.
My friend who caught the other big landlock in the pics also caught as many. We actually had to quit due to exhaustion and black fly bites. I never thought I would stop fishing due to catching to many but those smallies can wear you out.
The smallies were caught out of one of the feeder streams and it was just shear luck that they were staging there when we arrived.
It was truly a day for kings.....err um smallies [smile]

Have a great day Guys.

-Tom

Back
Top Bottom