Question about .224 bullets $ in MA

What was the normal "or today price if you know" price of this rare unicorn in or great State ? Lots of 500 to 1000 55g
I'm doing the math to see what will be the average cost of reload

Thanks you.

10 cents a piece is a deal if you can find them these days. Out at Camp Perry one of the vendors had bulk 55 grain JSP and I think he was asking $104 a thousand if I remember correctly. I have no use for 55 grain but I almost bought a few thousand anyway.

My last bulk purchase of bullets was last month. They were 55gr jacketed sp with cannelure. With delivery charges they worked out to 9.5 cents per bullet.

ETA: This was a backorder from January that the vendor was finally able to fill. I didn't check to see what the current price is since they were showing as out of stock when I gave them the go-ahead on the back order. If they could fill my powder order from the same time I would be really happy.

Last edited:
What was the normal "or today price if you know" price of this rare unicorn in or great State ? Lots of 500 to 1000 55g
I'm doing the math to see what will be the average cost of reload

Thanks you.

You can still find 55gn boat tail projectiles for around 10 cents a piece shipped. I make rounds 500 at a time and the math looks like this:

10 cents - bullet
3.5 cents - CCI primer
9 cents - 25 gn of Varget (7000 grains per pound, last pounds were $25 each)

22.5 cents per round

This will cost you 63 cents per round at your local gun shop.

Powder is still the hardest to find right now so you need to buy what you can find.

Chris

You can still find 55gn boat tail projectiles for around 10 cents a piece shipped. I make rounds 500 at a time and the math looks like this:

10 cents - bullet
3.5 cents - CCI primer
9 cents - 25 gn of Varget (7000 grains per pound, last pounds were $25 each)

22.5 cents per round

This will cost you 63 cents per round at your local gun shop.

Powder is still the hardest to find right now so you need to buy what you can find.

Chris

Chris, your numbers are right in line with my experience. I try to get to the .20 per round mark. With some judicious shopping and bulk buying I can get close, but with today's prices .25 per round is probably more realistic. About the only time I buy factory ammo is when I can find a good deal, and the main reason is to acquire some new brass with the added benefit of having some ammo ready to go without reloading.

Chris, your numbers are right in line with my experience. I try to get to the .20 per round mark. With some judicious shopping and bulk buying I can get close, but with today's prices .25 per round is probably more realistic. About the only time I buy factory ammo is when I can find a good deal, and the main reason is to acquire some new brass with the added benefit of having some ammo ready to go without reloading.

Ditto, I have averaged approximately .19 to .22 cents a round and only by factory to get new brass for reloading. I need to buck up and do a bulk brass buy soon.

Ditto, I have averaged approximately .19 to .22 cents a round and only by factory to get new brass for reloading. I need to buck up and do a bulk brass buy soon.

There have been a couple of group buys on brass in the past. I'll be starting my last box of 1000 in the near future. Keep your eye on the group buy forum in case another one comes up. Buy it cheap, stack it deep. Since I'm running low, I think I violated my own rule. [laugh]

I Load 75 gr BTHP and have the follwoing cost breakdown from recent orders:

24gr RL-15 $102.84 for 5 pounds. $0.07
Remington 7.5 primers 32.84. $0.032
Bullets $170 / k. $0.17

.27 per bullet. Not to bad when you consider Remingtons loaded ammo with 77gr bullets is over a buck a round.

With some judicious shopping and bulk buying I can get close,

Exactly, 1 year ago you could place 1 order with one outfit and get 8 pounds of powder, 5K primers and few K projectiles shipped in one box splitting one haz mat fee and knock quite a bit (10-20% off the cost listed above.) Now we have to deal with 2 pound powder limits, few K primer limits but interestingly usually no limits on projectiles. Companies must make a profit off of the HazMat fee.

Sometimes you get lucky, last saturday I bought 5k SPPs for $25 per k from Riley's. I think that is the least (including shipping, tax, hazmat) that I have paid for primers in the past few years for CCI.

Chris

Found this
Quick Overview

These are our original 55gr 223 standard bullets. These bullets have a more rounded nose and a larger recess at the base of the bullet compared to version 2 of our standard 55gr bullet. We have loaded many of these and sold over 3 million of them with no problems. Many of our customers have reported excellent groups at up to 300 yards. Actual weight is approx 54 grains.

.223 55gr FMJ "

Price for 1k is $ 119.00 no shipping cost View attachment 75320 good deal ?

I've never seen bulk .224 bullets at any local gun shops with the exception of Riley's. Most only carry 100 rnd boxes of higher end stuff. Through the wonders of having an out of state mailing address I found hornady .224 55gr fmjbt in stock for $100/1000. A few years back I paid $148 for 3000 pulled fmjbt. I wish I bought more than 2 boxes of those.

Back
Top Bottom