Question About Self-Def ammo...how long to carry

How long can I carry the same magazine of 9mm? Will it need to be shoot off at some time and replaced with "fresher" rounds? I unload the mag and load it in another every month or so, not sure if the does anything.

Thanks

What Timber's saying is that, no, you don't have to switch the carry rounds out. And no, you don't have to rotate magazines.

See this thread, too...

The other thing to watch for is the seating on the "chambered round." If you frequently re-chamber the same round, check to see that the bullet stays at the same depth in the cartridge. Repeatedly slamming the same round into the chamber "may" un-seat the bullet. YMMV.

and i personally do NOT "rechamber" or unload often. but that's because i live dangerously and carry a fotay. a glock fotay. [rofl]

I shoot off my carry ammo and buy new stuff annually on my birthday. It's not really for a functional purpose, but more of an excuse to buy ammo.

Depending on how much you carry and in what types of weather. The short answer is shoot out what you carry every six months. Something most people don't think about is bullet set back. Loading and unloading the first two rounds can push the bullets into the case, this can have a bad effect if you ever seat the bullet to much and happen to shoot it.

Depending on how much you carry and in what types of weather. The short answer is shoot out what you carry every six months.

Waste of (expensive) ammo. I might burn off the top couple of rounds periodically, but no need to burn off the rest of it. Then again on most of my carry guns I rarely have to unload/reload unless the law requires it particular to the situation I happen to be in at the time.

-Mike

Waste of (expensive) ammo. I might burn off the top couple of rounds periodically, but no need to burn off the rest of it. Then again on most of my carry guns I rarely have to unload/reload unless the law requires it particular to the situation I happen to be in at the time.

-Mike
i agree it is a waste of ammo. i dont usually shoot mine off at all. what i do is every year or so i pick up a new box of ammo and replace the first 2 rounds in the magazine and at that time i rotate magazines also.

How long can I carry the same magazine of 9mm? Will it need to be shoot off at some time and replaced with "fresher" rounds? I unload the mag and load it in another every month or so, not sure if the does anything.
It increases wear on the magazine spring and the rounds themselves (particularly setback as you repeatedly load a round into the chamber). Leave the magazine loaded and, if possible, the chamber loaded. The rounds themselves will last indefinitely if kept dry.

It increases wear on the magazine spring and the rounds themselves (particularly setback as you repeatedly load a round into the chamber). Leave the magazine loaded and, if possible, the chamber loaded. The rounds themselves will last indefinitely if kept dry.

It's 100° out and some of us sweat profusely. If I were carrying I'd have some wet ammo [grin]

It's 100° out and some of us sweat profusely. If I were carrying I'd have some wet ammo [grin]
The exterior of the slide may get wet, but I doubt the ammunition will. Nevertheless, if you makes you feel better, shoot up your carry ammo once a quarter.

I empty out a magazine of carry ammo whenever I go to the range for practice. Ir's only 16 rounds out of the ~100 or so I fire then, and it reminds me of the little differences in recoil and point of impact between my carry and practice ammunition. If I were to start to worry about the cost of those 16 rounds, pretty soon I'd be worrying about the 100 rounds of practice ammo, and eventually cut out practice all together. After all, I could buy another gun with the money I save by not shooting the one I already have.

Ken

I empty out a magazine of carry ammo whenever I go to the range for practice. Ir's only 16 rounds out of the ~100 or so I fire then, and it reminds me of the little differences in recoil and point of impact between my carry and practice ammunition. If I were to start to worry about the cost of those 16 rounds, pretty soon I'd be worrying about the 100 rounds of practice ammo, and eventually cut out practice all together.
For me, the issue is not so much the cost of the carry ammo, but availability. If anyone can tell me where I can find Federal HST .45 ACP, I'd be all over it. I can find plenty of FMJ, but good JHP is much harder to find. Hydrashok is often available, but it is an ancient design and there are better alternatives (if you can find them).

i gave up on the whole carry vs plinking ammo about a year ago. chamber once. shoot it out next time you shoot. whatever you load up with is what you're carrying. usually 115 to 124 gr 9mm FMJ. i'll take penetration over expansion anyday of the week anyway.

+1

This is what I do, I try to shoot my carry gun each time I go to the range. I shoot what is in my mag and reload another one. My carry ammo always has that "new car smell".

+1

This is what I do, I try to shoot my carry gun each time I go to the range. I shoot what is in my mag and reload another one. My carry ammo always has that "new car smell".

Me three. I like to shoot my carry gun and I got tired of loading and unloading my carry ammo and rotating the top round to avoid setback. Plus, I hate to buy factory ammo.

Back
Top Bottom