Question about shooting a wild animal on your property

MXD

First let me describe my property. I live at the bottom of a dead end street (hill). My house is on the front of my property facing up the street and the backyard continues down hill for about an acre and butts up against conservation land. So when I am standing in my backyard with my house behind me there is not a dwelling for thousands and thousands of acres to my left, right or straight in front of me.

Now that you have that picture I will get to my concern. We have all kinds of wildlife here and almost all if it is docile and no threat. However I spotted 2 coyote a few days ago then I heard them later that night. Yesterday I heard my dog barking so I looked out and they were at the bottom of the hill in my yard. I have a toddler that loves to play in the yard and just to be on the safe side my wife and I always bring one of the guns out with us. If they approach one of us I understand I can protect my family but other than that am I S.O.L. if they are on my property? I legitimately have safety concerns. I don't want to call the local authorities yet because my neighbor did that last year and they basically told him "call us back when one attacks" [rolleyes]

If your back yard is 150' from the road and 500' from an occupied dwelling (exception if you have permission from the occupants of said dwelling), then get yourself a hunting license and hunt the coyotes in accordance with MassWildlife regulations. If not, then you are SOL.

Parts of my yard are certainly 150' from the street but I would need permission from probably 3 or 4 neighbors and I'm 100% positive they would give it to me, we are a very close neighborhood.

You bring up an interesting point and now I have a second question. If I get that permission in writing and I set it up 150' from the road, can I have a mini range on my property?

If your back yard is 150' from the road and 500' from an occupied dwelling (exception if you have permission from the occupants of said dwelling), then get yourself a hunting license and hunt the coyotes in accordance with MassWildlife regulations. If not, then you are SOL.

Or get yourself a goat, some chickens etc.. You can protect your livestock and poultry and this preempts the 500' rule as well.

Parts of my yard are certainly 150' from the street but I would need permission from probably 3 or 4 neighbors and I'm 100% positive they would give it to me, we are a very close neighborhood.
Get the permission in writing. Get a hunting license. Then start hunting. That said, coyote hunting isn't easy.

You bring up an interesting point and now I have a second question. If I get that permission in writing and I set it up 150' from the road, can I have a mini range on my property?
Sure. Just check that there is no town regulation against discharge of firearms. Of course, neighbors that might support killing a coyote or two might not want to listen to an extended practice session.

I don't suggest doing this in any way, as I am unsure of laws in your area and don't want you to follow my advice and get arrested.

I have a hunting license, and use a bow for critters in my father and grandmothers back yard. They live side by side and have 13 acres between them, though there are houses on either side. The bow is quiet and nobody even knows I have used it. It's also a lot safer than discharging a firearm in a rural area. I am unsure of the distance from your yard to other houses, so a bow would seem to be safer and less likely to draw attention. I would personally take them out. But check local laws and regulations and be sure you don't break any laws. Tough spot, I can see the want to protect family, but I can also see local LEO's or game wardens having an issue if done improperly.

If you are going to do it, bait the coyotes with some fresh meat. I have had success with raw hamburg. That way you can try to get them into an ideal position where you are shooting in a safe direction.

Last edited:
Protection of life and livestock will preempt discharge and masswildlife laws/regs. I find that the 'yotes don't come back for quote some time once you take a shot at them (or midnight412 as it were)

Last edited:
Protection of life and livestock will preempt discharge and masswildlife laws/regs.
I suspect that your pet dog or cat isn't considered livestock, and killing a 'yote that isn't attacking your child but just happens to be in the neighborhood isn't considered protection of life.

Definitley not legal unless,....

A) coyotes are in season

B) and you have a hunting license

C) and you have satisfied the distance/permission requirements.

or

D) you, another person or an animal you possess are attacked and you are defending them.

I believe a small girl was attacked and killed by Coyote up in Nova Scotia recently.

I think Maine has open coyote hunting :)

I wasn't aware that you needed a hunting license while on your own property. Obviously I'm not a hunter.

Sometimes, what people don't know won't hurt them. Bow, shovel, shut up. And maybe get a hunting license as well. Though you will be waiting a while for coyote season.

Hunting of Fox, Coyote, and Bobcat

1. SEASON DATES:

(a) the fox (both red and gray) season opens on November 1st and closes on the following last day of February.

(b) the coyote season opens on the first Saturday after Columbus Day and closes on the following March 8th.

(c) the bobcat season opens on December 20 and closes on the following March 8th.

(d) the fox season is CLOSED during the "shotgun" deer season (1 week in Zone 12; 2 weeks elsewhere).

2. ZONES:

(a) the fox and coyote seasons are open statewide.

(b) the bobcat season is open only in wildlife management zones 01 through 08.

3. HUNTING HOURS:

(a) the hunting hours for bobcat run from ½ hour before sunrise to ½ hour after sunset.

(b) the hunting hours for fox run from ½ hour before sunrise to midnight.

(c) the hunting hours for coyote run from ½ hour before sunrise to midnight, except during the shotgun deer season when the hunting hours close at ½ hour after sunset.

(d) NOTE: on wildlife management areas stocked with pheasant or quail, during the pheasant and quail seasons, the hunting hours for all species are from sunrise to sunset.

4. BAG LIMITS: There are no daily, possession, or seasonal bag limits for fox, coyote, and bobcat.

5. HARVEST QUOTA: When the season total reaches 50 bobcats, whether by hunting, trapping, or a combination of both, the MassWildlife Director shall close the season. There are no harvest quotas for fox or coyote.

6. LICENSES: Resident Massachusetts hunters require a resident hunting or sporting license. Non-residents hunters require either a non-resident small game license or a non-resident big game license (big game license includes small game also). No special permit is required.

7. PELT TAGGING and SALE OF PELTS: All fox, coyote, and bobcat taken or salvaged must be brought to an official check station prior to sale, exchange, disposal, or retention. Fox and coyote must be checked no later than 4 working days (Monday-Friday, except legal holidays) after the close of the season. Bobcat must be checked with 4 days of the date the animal was taken. Lawfully taken animals will be tagged with a locking seal at the check station. The seal must remain attached to the pelt until it is tanned, dressed, or prepared for mounting by a taxidermist. Seals are not transferable. No fox, coyote, or bobcat may be sold in Massachusetts unless tagged or sealed by the state of origin, or another state which has been authorized to do so.

8. HUNTING IMPLEMENTS: It is lawful to hunt fox, coyote, and bobcat with rifles, shotguns, handguns, or archery, provided that:

(a) on wildlife management areas stocked with pheasant or quail, during the pheasant and quail season, only shotguns and archery may be used;

(b) during the hours from ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise, handguns are restricted to those chambered not larger than .38 caliber, and rifles to those chambered not larger than .22 long rifle;

(c) coyote may be hunted with shotgun cartridges loaded with shot not larger than FF, provided that when coyote are hunted during the shotgun deer season, they may additionally be hunted with those shotgun cartridges that are lawful for the hunting of deer (i.e., including buckshot and slugs);

(d) fox and bobcat may be hunted with shotgun cartridges loaded with shot not larger than #1 birdshot.

9. PROHIBITED: It is unlawful to hunt or pursue bobcat with dogs, or to train bobcat hounds on bobcat during the closed hunting season, except by special permit for bona-fide research or damage situations.

10. OTHER HUNTING METHODS: It is lawful to hunt fox and coyote with hounds and bait. It is lawful to hunt fox, coyote, and bobcat with electronic or manually operated calls.

11. DEFINITIONS: There are technical definitions of certain terms, including "fox", "green pelt". "raw fur or pelt", and "state". These terms are formally defined in 321 CMR 3.02(3)(a).

This is not the entire law, and is subject to change. Refer to the Fox, Coyote, and Bobcat hunting regulations in the Code of Massachusetts Regulations, 321 CMR 3.02(3) and to several provisions of the Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 131.

Last Revised: 10-05-07.

MassWildlife | Dept. Fish & Game | Energy & Env. Affairs | MassGov | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Accessibility | Webmaster

Massachusetts Division of Fisheries and Wildlife, 1 Rabbit Hill Rd, Westborough, MA 01581
Tel: (508) 389-6300; Fax: (508) 389-7890

Although it shouldn't matter, you list your location "near Boston". The city/town you live in would make a big difference in how I would potentially handle it. A "red" town may take away your license, and a "green" town may be more understanding of the threat to your child

I believe a small girl was attacked and killed by Coyote up in Nova Scotia recently.

Although I did not hear about that case specifically, I have heard that they are predators and definitely a danger to young children as well as small pets. My son is only 2 and still weighs less than 30 pounds. It's certainly not inconceivable to think that something the size of my son without the means to defend itself would be an easy target for such an animal. That's one of the big reasons why we never walk out our door without a firearm. Wildlife/stray animals can be a big danger.

I think Maine has open coyote hunting :)

I wasn't aware that you needed a hunting license while on your own property. Obviously I'm not a hunter.

She wasn't a "small girl" - she was a professional musician (though, compared to me, young). I'm just reading the article in Outside Magazine. Apparently, it's more or less a done deal that Eastern Coyotes are officially wolf/coyote hybrids, based on behavior and genetic data....

Time for us to evolve, too!

Although it shouldn't matter, you list your location "near Boston". The city/town you live in would make a big difference in how I would potentially handle it. A "red" town may take away your license, and a "green" town may be more understanding of the threat to your child

I live in a green town and my wife and I both have our Class A, ALP

I suspect that your pet dog or cat isn't considered livestock, and killing a 'yote that isn't attacking your child but just happens to be in the neighborhood isn't considered protection of life.

Correct.

But when they are trying to dig into the turkey pen, they become fair game.

Make sure you are very clear on the discharge laws that apply to your town. Many towns in the 495 belt and East have a no discharge, discharge during hunting season only, permission only, etc, regulations in place.

You won't get a coyote into a Havahart trap.

I have seen it with my own eyes. Neighbor was trying to catch a raccoon and ended up with a very pissed off coyote. He was using an excessively large trap. I didn't believe it until I saw it. Maybe not the best way, but it will work in some situations. I also thought it was impossible, and maybe my neighbor just had a fluke happen. But I went with him to shoot it, and believe me it was in there.

Some towns have total bans on hunting within their borders too.

There is a thing called a Maine Coyote Trap which is essentially a large strong treble hook hung from a strong fir branch with 100lb test braided fishing line. Snag a pork chop onto the hook and leave it hanging 4 to 5 feet above the ground. You still have to dispatch the coyote but it cuts down all the waiting in the dark. This is not a good option with dogs loose in the neighborhood. It is also not likely to be legal in MA but it is indeed effective. Or you can get a LLama. Llamas don't like coyotes and will fight them off.

Back
Top Bottom