Question os usage of stages with Hormady LNL

I have a newer Hornady LNL Progressive press. It's a 5 stage press and over all is very nice. I have the new Powder Thru Expanders however, after spending some time with it, the expanders just don't work well (at least 9mm)- another story. So this is the setup I've been using now:
1)deprimer/resizer 1.5) Primer 2) Bell Die 3) Powder Drop 4) Seater and 5)Taper- however this doesn't leave room for a powder cop/lock. I can see how an LED set up could help see that charge although it's not too tough.

The only way I can figure to use a powder cop (without powder thru expander) is to do the seating and crimping at the last stage... However, the ejector wire interferes with the seater/crimper if it's at stage 5. Thoughts? I’m using RCBS dies... But I do have the Hornady Taper Crimper. Maybe I need the Hornady Seater/Crimper die as well if I want to use it on stage 5?

Thanks.

PS- progrssive loading is fun... but I still love the charm of the RCBS Rock Chucker.

Hey Lugnut,

I just grind the bottoms off of the crimp dies for shorter cases. This allows them to fit into the last station without cutting the ejector wire.

Better to avoid seating and crimping in the same step. More control and consistency. I won't lie, I don't check powder every cartridge, maybe a couple times a session. I don't see the need for a powder check die, especially when the powder you are using plays nice with your particular powder measure and bridging in general. Squibs are easy to recognize and don't come close to cycling the gun.

That's my young and dumb opinion. Only 8k loaded under my belt.

Better to avoid seating and crimping in the same step. More control and consistency. I won't lie, I don't check powder every cartridge, maybe a couple times a session. I don't see the need for a powder check die, especially when the powder you are using plays nice with your particular powder measure and bridging in general. Squibs are easy to recognize and don't come close to cycling the gun.

That's my young and dumb opinion. Only 8k loaded under my belt.

I didn't read the OP very carefully. Adweisbe is correct. If you can, separate the seating and crimping. That's what I do. I do not use a Powder Cop die either. I just make it a point to look into every case. You'd have to look at the Powder Cop every time too, right? Instead of doing that, just look in the case.

With that said, you'll still have to crimp in the last station. When that's the case (no pun intended) you might find that you'll have to grind the bottom off of the crimp die to avoid hitting the ejector wire when the die is low enough to crimp.

Do you have just keep grinding and trying it or is there a certain amount that you can just take off like a 1/4 inch or 3/8 of a inch?

I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die for every handgun caliber I load. They all hit the ejector wire in the 5th station. The first one took me awhile with a file to get it to fit, but I quickly learned how much to take off and what kind of angle was needed. It only took me about 15 minutes of work each. You really have to keep grinding until it works, but like me, you'll learn what's needed.

I'm not sure how other dies work in the last station, but MrTwigg's Hornady .500 S&W roll crimp die worked fine in the 5th station as is (big surprise).

I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die for every handgun caliber I load. They all hit the ejector wire in the 5th station. The first one took me awhile with a file to get it to fit, but I quickly learned how much to take off and what kind of angle was needed. It only took me about 15 minutes of work each. You really have to keep grinding until it works, but like me, you'll learn what's needed.

I'm not sure how other dies work in the last station, but MrTwigg's Hornady .500 S&W roll crimp die worked fine in the 5th station as is (big surprise).

It seems like the crimp dies for the longer cases are OK. I had to grind the Lee FCD dies for all my auto-loaders using a trial and error method: grind some, put it back and see if it crimps without hitting the wire, grind some more, etc.

FWIW, the Hornady and RCBS crimp dies that I have didn't need to be modified.

Back
Top Bottom