• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about reloaders

shaunt

NES Member
Hi all many years ago I had few pistols I bought a reloader Dillon Blue progressive press, time changed I got busy with life and travel, I gave up all the equipment to other friends, recently I got back into shooting, this time besides pistols I started collecting rifles 308 caliper in particular, I like to ask members who reload rifle ammo, what's your preference single stage or progressive, I heard for rifle ammo reloading single stage reloader is preferred, I appreciate any input you guys would have, and thank you in advance
Cheers

Hi all many years ago I had few pistols I bought a reloader Dillon Blue progressive press, time changed I got busy with life and travel, I gave up all the equipment to other friends, recently I got back into shooting, this time besides pistols I started collecting rifles 308 caliper in particular, I like to ask members who reload rifle ammo, what's your preference single stage or progressive, I heard for rifle ammo reloading single stage reloader is preferred, I appreciate any input you guys would have, and thank you in advance
Cheers

Learn and sort out loads, bullet weights and types, case prep, seating depth, etc., with a single stage. If you shoot enough and want to save time go progressive after you figure out a good load/recipe. I’ve never had the need to go progressive for .308 and similar.

Much better consistency on a single stage for rifle calibers. A quality turret press (Redding T7) will let you be a bit faster while maintaining load quality/consistency.

If you need .308 brass, drop a line. I have a ton.

I use my progressive for 308. BUT.... I use one die at a time and I hand measure my loads.

I prefer a progressive because I load a lot of pistol, doing several hundred rounds at a time. The nice thing about it is that I can use it as a single stage as well. Space is limited, so I want to use only one press.

A good progressive can produce very good, accurate rifle ammo.
1000 yard, match grade ammo - probably not but you're not getting there with a basic single stage either.
Bottleneck cartridges take a couple of steps to prep, at least the first time reloading, even for plinking ammo so even on a progressive you aren't hitting break neck speeds.

You can go slow and single stage a progressive but you can't run 4+ stations on a single.
But you can get a decent single for under $200 - an entry progressive will be twice that.

I know multiple people making 1000 yard match grade ammo on a progressive, as am I. A progressive can make just as consistent ammo and a single stage if you know what you're doing and use quality components. I size all my rifle brass on a single stage, after that it goes into a Dillon 550c where I prime, charge, and seat. I have found this to be just as consistent as working on a single stage but it cuts my handle pulls down considerably.

Everyone needs at least one single stage press. I use it all the time for odd jobs and small load workup. Once I know a load then the progressive comes out.

If your looking to load different ammo for different rifles and not looking to load 1000s at a time a single stage is fine. I have a few inexpensive progressive loaders for 223 , and pistol.

I keep telling myself Im going to get a progressive for rifle but anytime I get $500+ to spend on gun stuff its more primers/powder/bullets

I have a hornady 007 press and a old Lee O frame press cast iron press which I use for case prep.

I reload precision rounds on the single stage unless I need a lot, then I use the progressive. Either way, I size everything on a single stage, then remove the lube, trim, and remove the primer crimp (if applicable). Once I've processed the brass once, I'll load everything I need a bunch of on the progressive. I use a single stage to work up the loads though.

Keep in mind that you're not going to be able to make really good ammo if you try to go start-to-finish (including trimming) on a progressive.

Also remember, QUALITY dies. Forester or RCBS. On my 600 yd slowfire and 200 yd offhand, i used to guage bullet runout, and 99%, if not all of my rounds had 0 runout.
Yup. I got one of those Hornady rigs to check runout and found that if I use good brass, there's no runout.

Back
Top Bottom