• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question re guide services

Mesatchornug

NES Member
Imagine you've hired a guide to take your family (2 adults, 2 kids) ice fishing. Is there a common guideline for tipping? (I.E. 10%? $50? Something based on the angle of the sun?)

Imagine you've hired a guide to take your family (2 adults, 2 kids) ice fishing. Is there a common guideline for tipping? (I.E. 10%? $50? Something based on the angle of the sun?)
Tipping guides is kind of all over the map.

I've used guides for snow shoe hare, grouse ,fly fishing on drift boats, and a small mouth bass fishing on a bass boat.

For any all day guided trip if the guide puts us on the game animals.......and the food he cooks is good I toss him $100. Half day I tip accordingly ($50). I've only gone less than $100 for an all day trip one time.......grouse hunt.......the guy was from n Dakota and just came to Maine with his 2 pointers a month before we hooked up with him in this all day trip. His dogs.....f***ing sucked. Both straight up refused to hit the briars and search. They'd only run on the dirt roads and search in grass areas and that ain't where the grouse are. N Dakota pointers are used to corn stubble and nit having the discomfort of hitting the thick shit. Anyway......I spent 7 hours listening to this guy screaming at his 2 dogs that f***ing refused to hunt......4 times the dogs ran right by a Grouse that was in the briars right on the side of the logging road........and the Grouse flushed when the dogs were 50 yards past em down the trail and we were too far back to get a shot. I gave him 20 bucks and tossed his business card in the trash at dunkin on my drive home.

To answer your question.....if it's an all day ice fishing trip and the guide provides a good lunch......and your getting flags......personally I'd give him or her $100 tip. Their out there with u for 8 hours.....but their day is much longer than that woth getting gear setup.....packed......prep the food......then unpack and clean up when they get home. A 7 to 8 hour fishing trip for you is 9 to 10 maybe even 11 hours for them.

Last edited:
Tipping guides is kind of all over the map.

I've used guides for snow shoe hare, grouse ,fly fishing on drift boats, and a small mouth bass fishing on a bass boat.

For any all day guided trip if the guide puts us on the game animals.......and the food he cooks is good I toss him $100. Half day I tip accordingly ($50). I've only gone less than $100 for an all day trip one time.......grouse hunt.......the guy was from n Dakota and just came to Maine with his 2 pointers a month before we hooked up with him in this all day trip. His dogs.....f***ing sucked. Both straight up refused to hit the briars and search. They'd only run on the dirt roads and search in grass areas and that ain't where the grouse are. N Dakota pointers are used to corn stubble and nit having the discomfort of hitting the thick shit. Anyway......I spent 7 hours listening to this guy screaming at his 2 dogs that f***ing refused to hunt......4 times the dogs ran right by a Grouse that was in the briars right on the side of the logging road........and the Grouse flushed when the dogs were 50 yards past em down the trail and we were too far back to get a shot. I gave him 20 bucks and tossed his business card in the trash at dunkin on my drive home.
Thanks!

Where are you planning to go ice fishing? Have you ever been?
Never been, which is why we're getting a guide. We're going to the Belgrade (Maine) area.
Basically, my GF's 5 year old asked if we would take her sometime, and we're both too happy to support this kind of interest, so February vacation all but planned itself...

I'm sure there'll be an update by the end of the week.

Never been, which is why we're getting a guide. We're going to the Belgrade (Maine) area.
Basically, my GF's 5 year old asked if we would take her sometime, and we're both too happy to support this kind of interest, so February vacation all but planned itself...
Sweet. Ice fishing is alot of fun. It's like tailgating while your fishing.

I learn something new every day, I didn't know people got guides for ice fishing. I thought it was basically an excuse to go hang out on a lake/pond, maybe get sauced etc. Or if you live in a place where the lake freezes over for 2 months you get one of those huge ice fishing shelters that's basically like an RV and use it as a means of hooking up with your wife/GF. 🤣

I learn something new every day, I didn't know people got guides for ice fishing. I thought it was basically an excuse to go hang out on a lake/pond, maybe get sauced etc. Or if you live in a place where the lake freezes over for 2 months you get one of those huge ice fishing shelters that's basically like an RV and use it as a means of hooking up with your wife/GF. 🤣
What happens in the pop up stays in the pop up.

Hey...don't knock it.

I've taken the wife deer hunting in my popup blind a couple of times. Suffice it to say we never shot any deer when she's with me in the pop up. 😉

Hey...don't knock it.

I've taken the wife deer hunting in my popup blind a couple of times. Suffice it to say we never shot any deer when she's with me in the pop up. 😉
Now you've got me picturing a couple of bucks staring through the windows for a couple of hours, dropping the occasional apple in from time to time.

Hey...don't knock it.

Along these lines...Id say tip depends on how warm you stay during the fishing trip.

Back
Top Bottom