Question regarding 223 factory ammo Differences (Tula and rem)

jeffC

NES Member
I've got a question for the ammo gurus! What's the difference between tula 223 and remington FC 223 that could cause my gun to malfunction? Was shooting a frankenAR I built (DPMS factory upper), and I kept getting light strikes on the primers with the remington ammo. The Tula ran like a dream though. I shot about 100 rnds of each. Tula had 0 malfunctions, whereas the remington had a light strike (FTF) every 4-5 rounds. Any thoughts? Headspacing issue?

Make sure you installed the hammer spring correctly.

2hd1kqb.jpg

Could just simply be that those manufacturers use different primers and the ones Remington's using need a harder strike than Tula's.

That's odd, Tula primers are generally thought to be very hard compared to the Remingtons. Do you have a case gauge or a comparator?

If you are having light strike problems in an AR platform, I would bet its a gun problem before an ammo problem.

Would these be FC (Federal Cartridge) .223 REM instead of Remington .223 FC maybe. Just wondering is all.

Maybe he ment Remington UMC if so yes I belief wolf or tula would out perform that stuff!

The gun gun has fired fine since the initial build. I DID put on freefloating handguard, and haven't shot it until the other day when the issues arose. So that MAY have something to do with it. I've got a go guage on the way so I can start diagnosing the issue.

That's odd, Tula primers are generally thought to be very hard compared to the Remingtons. Do you have a case gauge or a comparator?
No, I do not. Just ordered from midway yesterday though, to start diagnosing.

- - - Updated - - -

New build with an issue, or something you just started to experience with a proven gun?

The gun has around 500 rounds of misc ammo through it before this. All went ok.

- - - Updated - - -

Would these be FC (Federal Cartridge) .223 REM instead of Remington .223 FC maybe. Just wondering is all.
I remember looking at the rim of the rem stuff (was a friends ammo, in an ammo can) and I remember seeing rem FC 223. I asked him the history of his ammo, he said it was about 2 months old. Fired fine through his gun.

Last edited:
The gun gun has fired fine since the initial build. I DID put on freefloating handguard, and haven't shot it until the other day when the issues arose. So that MAY have something to do with it. I've got a go guage on the way so I can start diagnosing the issue.

No, I do not. Just ordered from midway yesterday though, to start diagnosing.

- - - Updated - - -

The gun has around 500 rounds of misc ammo through it before this. All went ok.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember looking at the rim of the rem stuff (was a friends ammo, in an ammo can) and I remember seeing rem FC 223. I asked him the history of his ammo, he said it was about 2 months old. Fired fine through his gun.
im guessing if your gun ran fine on tula its fine....unless for some odd reason the gas tube came loose or something broke on the last round of tula you shot.

im guessing if your gun ran fine on tula its fine....unless for some odd reason the gas tube came loose or something broke on the last round of tula you shot.

Yea, could be. I plan on stripping it down completely and seeing whats going on in there once I get some time to spare. As well as check the headspace. I just wanted to see what if any noticable diferences there were with the two different ammo manufacturers I mentioned, to try and help narrow down the possibilities.

Yea, could be. I plan on stripping it down completely and seeing whats going on in there once I get some time to spare. As well as check the headspace. I just wanted to see what if any noticable diferences there were with the two different ammo manufacturers I mentioned, to try and help narrow down the possibilities.

I grabbed a few handfulls of varrious 223 from my draw.
Remington yelllow and green box 223 soft points, wolf, silver bear, ppu 193, fed 193, all checked out fine on Wilson case gauge?
I'm no expert but sometimes a "can" of ammo can be a source of axlot of problems. whee did your friend buy this ammo? when you say FC 223 is that just the head stamp? Do you know the actual manufacture of the ammo. could it be reloads? before you get all crazy check your float tube barrel nut hasxnot come loose......run some more tula through it.

Anything is possible. But a headspacing problem? Please. If you had to buy anything it should have been a case gage. Else, how did you headspace the damn thing in the first place?

You don't have one of those reduced weight spring kits (like the JP yellow springs) in it do you? They can cause problems with certain primers. It seem odd that it only happened after you changed the forearm though. You hadn't fired any of the offending ammo before the forearm change?

A go gauge by it'self isn't of much use for any purpose and is of no use in diagnosing an ignition problem such as this. The bolt is locking up correctly right?

Last edited:
Anything is possible. But a headspacing problem? Please. If you had to buy anything it should have been a case gage. Else, how did you headspace the damn thing in the first place?

Upper came pre-assembled (DPMS).

- - - Updated - - -

You don't have one of those reduced weight spring kits (like the JP yellow springs) in it do you? They can cause problems with certain primers. It seem odd that it only happened after you changed the forearm though. You hadn't fired any of the offending ammo before the forearm change?

A go gauge by it'self isn't of much use for any purpose and is of no use in diagnosing an ignition problem such as this. The bolt is locking up correctly right?
no, springs are all PSA lpk. I don't believe I have fired any of the offending ammo before, no. And yes, bolt lockup seems fine.

Remington yelllow and green box 223 soft points, wolf, silver bear, ppu 193, fed 193, all checked out fine on Wilson case gauge?
I'm no expert but sometimes a "can" of ammo can be a source of axlot of problems. whee did your friend buy this ammo? when you say FC 223 is that just the head stamp? Do you know the actual manufacture of the ammo. could it be reloads? before you get all crazy check your float tube barrel nut hasxnot come loose......run some more tula through it.[/QUOTE

from what he told me it was factory Remington ammo bought two months ago NIB. He bought a bunch of 20 rnd boxes and threw them in his can. Bbl nut is secure.

I'm no expert but sometimes a "can" of ammo can be a source of axlot of problems. whee did your friend buy this ammo? when you say FC 223 is that just the head stamp? Do you know the actual manufacture of the ammo. could it be reloads? before you get all crazy check your float tube barrel nut hasxnot come loose......run some more tula through it.[/QUOTE

from what he told me it was factory Remington ammo bought two months ago NIB. He bought a bunch of 20 rnd boxes and threw them in his can. Bbl nut is secure.
Im going to guess it was UMC then, I have had zero luck with any UMC ammo,,, i would just not use your friends ammo again

Well. Figured it out. Had the hammer spring in backwards like a retard. Must have been drinking the day I put the lower together. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I owe Mlaboss a beer.

So it wasn't primers, headspace or ammunition. You got the correct answer within 11 minutes of your post and it took you an additional 6 days to rectify the error. I had a thread closed the other day for threads MUCH worse than this. Apologies.

Well. Figured it out. Had the hammer spring in backwards like a retard. Must have been drinking the day I put the lower together. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I owe Mlaboss a beer.
I'm shocked tula fired off with your springs in backwards.......and some say tula sucks in ARs....well sheeeiit tula ran in a broken AR!!!!!
glad it was a simple fix

Back
Top Bottom